Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Firefly - The Complete Series... Good Blind Buy?

Old 12-07-03, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently there have been a few posts in regards to dvd blind buys... in addition, there really isn't anything I wanted to buy this week, so I looked into the new releases I wasn't familiar with...

With that long winded intro, here's my question...

Firefly has gotten phenomenal reviews and it seems like a series I would enjoy.

Is it a good blind buy?

In regards to my tastes, the only shows I have valued enough to buy have been "X-Files" and "Star Trek - TNG"... I love futuristic shows based in outer space (I haven't bought Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9 though) and I enjoy some westerns (the only ones I bought were Sergio Leone's).

Now from what I read, Firefly is a combination of the two with a touch of "Alien - Resurrection" (which I liked).

I have also heard that due to the fact that the show was cancelled there were alot of loose ends which will never be tied up... if this is a huge issue and it causes a feeling of unfinished business I would like to know as well.

Thanks for the advice in advance
Old 12-07-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Well, I like X Files, TNG and DS9, but I'm not really into westerns. I got into Firefly because it's by Joss Whedon of Buffy and Angel fame. My wife and I both loved this series, and have it at the top of our wishlists for family members to buy, though we may just get it Tuesday and let them get us something else. Even with the episodes shown out of order, and the pilot shown midseason, and three episodes unaired, we still thought this was one of the more enjoyable series on TV.

It was cancelled mid stride, but there have been rumors of a feature film. And frankly, an open ending is better than a rushed, half ass ending that they could have tried to force into the last five minutes of the series, like say ST Voyager's. Gah.

And I'm not sure about the Alien Resurrection reference. I guess you mean a rag tag crew on a rickety ship, then maybe. I also enjoyed Res, and think it's not given a fair chance.
Old 12-08-03, 01:07 AM
Registered

YES!
Old 12-08-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd definately have to say yes as well, I watched the show from the beginning, and thought it was awesome as can be, just a shame they cancelled it. The movie will kick some butt tho I imagine
Old 12-08-03, 05:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you hurry you still might be able to get in on the $20 deal at Suncoast (less likely) or Sam Goody. It seems they are taking pre-orders for this @ $5 and $14.99 due when it comes in. You have 1 day though (if it's still available at all, a friend of mine already received notice his copy was in and ready for pick up).
Old 12-08-03, 08:34 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes. Your interests suggest you'll like it.
Old 12-08-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, and they are activly trying to get a DVD only release going as well. This may be based on how well the series sells so... buy two or three.
Old 12-08-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You gotta ask yourself: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do you?

Plenty of people who are deeply into scifi were deeply out of Firefly. The main reason for this is the 'cowboy' aspect of the series; they just couldn't cope with the juxtaposition of a high-tech future and the western-themed environments in which our happy heroes often found themselves.

Myself, I had no problems with this and think it ranks right up there as one of the best scifi shows ever.

If you think you can deal with the delicious dichotomy that is Firefly, then I'd give you a big resounding YES -- go for it.
Old 12-08-03, 10:48 AM
Banned

well i gotta say no.
Old 12-08-03, 10:50 AM

I would have to say No. I like most of Joss Whedon's stuff, but I think he really missed the mark on this series.
Old 12-08-03, 10:52 AM

I'm definitely going with yes on this one. This series had an excellent cast, an unusual but great sense of humour, and a unique take on the conventions associated with sci-fi. It's just generally really well written. There are loose ends, but I don't think the lack of an ending hurts the show so much that I wouldn't recommend the 15 great episodes that were made.

Last edited by Philip Reuben; 12-08-03 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you watch the series in it's proper order, it's really good. As it was shown on TV (out of sequence) it was just OK until the last couple of episodes (which were supposed to be the first couple of episodes) that helped explain everything, then it made the series pretty dang cool !!! My favorite part of the series is the build up of the Reapers. They do a lot of talking about them, but you don't really see them. It makes them that much more scary. (Trying not to spoiler it for those haven't seen it, you'll know what I mean when you see the series.) I hope the DVD sells well and that the movie does well and hopefully the series will be revived (not on FOX though, eff them).

Joss Whedon is the man now, dawg!
Old 12-08-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by milo bloom
but there have been rumors of a feature film.
More than just rumors, actually... it's a go:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/...eut/index.html
http://hollywoodreporter.com/thr/art...ent_id=1969026
Old 12-08-03, 12:24 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say a 'must-see' if you're a Sci-Fi fan.

Yes, the western theme is unusual (and maybe blunt), and some didn't like it thanks to Fox messing up the episode order. But the show was really well written and the episodes were really improving and in fact the last 4 they aired are my favorite.
Old 12-08-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think the dvd does put the episodes in propper order.
Old 12-08-03, 01:57 PM

If you have taste, can appreciate good writing, quirky characters and understand the real 'economics' of what outer world settlements would really be like... then a hearty YES!
Old 12-08-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MrN
I would say a 'must-see' if you're a Sci-Fi fan.
What if you're not a sci-fi fan? Personally, I'm not a fan of sci-fi or westerns, but I'm still thinking I might like this show. I never thought I'd love a show about vampires either, but Buffy and Angel quickly won me over with their intelligent, frequently hilarious dialogue, and well-developed characters. I've put Firefly on my Christmas wish list; I think I'll like it, but if I don't, I can always sell it on eBay.

Rob
Old 12-08-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
My business partner thinks that it was pure shiite but I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I pick my sets up.
Old 12-08-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My vote...

My taste? I never got into Buffy, Angel, Xena, Hercules, Star Trek (any of the incarnations).

I have a buddy who's a big Buffy Fan and who raved about Firefly. He talked me into watching a few episodes.

I saw the first two episodes and thought it was an 'OK' series, but I saw Our Mrs. Reynolds (episode 3) and was very, very impressed.

I can recommend based on 3 episodes.
Old 12-08-03, 09:04 PM

Thanks for all the input peeps, I'm ordering it right after this post...

Muchas Gracias
Old 02-20-04, 08:13 AM

Just finished watching the episodes in this set (haven't gotten to the supplements yet). I have to say, I enjoyed the hell out of it. I bought it blind just on the Joss Whedon brand name, and with the thought that if it is turned into a feature, I'll want to see the series before I see the movie. But I'll admit I was skeptical going in.

This show was outstanding. As is becoming Mutant Enemy's trademark, it did start out a little slow and underwhelming. But it started picking up a head of steam sometime during the second disk and never let up. How disappointing it was that it ended just as it seemed some of the character stories were picking up steam!! Here's hoping there is indeed a feature and we get at least some answers to some dangling questions.

Anyone who has considered picking this up, I say go for it! You won't be disappointed. Just keep in mind that there is no resolution to some burning questions that emerge, but simply because Joss and Co. weren't given the chance to answer them.

Highly entertaining and compelling.
Old 02-20-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by otmetrud
Just finished watching the episodes in this set (haven't gotten to the supplements yet). I have to say, I enjoyed the hell out of it. I bought it blind just on the Joss Whedon brand name, and with the thought that if it is turned into a feature, I'll want to see the series before I see the movie. But I'll admit I was skeptical going in.

This show was outstanding. As is becoming Mutant Enemy's trademark, it did start out a little slow and underwhelming. But it started picking up a head of steam sometime during the second disk and never let up. How disappointing it was that it ended just as it seemed some of the character stories were picking up steam!! Here's hoping there is indeed a feature and we get at least some answers to some dangling questions.

Anyone who has considered picking this up, I say go for it! You won't be disappointed. Just keep in mind that there is no resolution to some burning questions that emerge, but simply because Joss and Co. weren't given the chance to answer them.

Highly entertaining and compelling.
Yes, I agree. By far the best sci-fi shows on TV. I easily place it in my top 5 favorite series of all time. I actually felt sad when the last episode ended, knowing that was the end for good.
For people who only caught a few episodes on Fox and say they didn't like it, I ask you to try it again. I thought the show was just OK when it aired, but after watching it IN ORDER, with the missing episodes I think it excelled.
Not a big spoiler but one episode ends up with them having a cargo hold full of cattle, the next episode begins with them trying to sell the cows and trouble that follows. These needed to be shown in order to make sense, plus dozens of other little touches. Not to mention the overall story arch that gets almost completely lost when it was aired.
Old 02-20-04, 10:25 AM

I watched I think two episodes when it originally aired and recently borrowed the dvd's from a friend. I have to say that watching the pilot first literally changed my feelings on the series 180o. I would definitely recommend it, the only downside IMO is its open-ended nature as a result of its cancellation.
-Nuff
Old 02-20-04, 01:20 PM

And how cool was it to see Ron Glass again? His character was my favorite on one of my favorite TV shows from my youth, Barney Miller. Hadn't seen him anywhere since until now. That was a treat!
Old 02-20-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wanted to really like this series but never warmed up to it. I bought it for $20 at Suncoast because it seemed like I'd never get a chance to purchase it at that price again. I still haven't had the urge to open it. I may end up gifting it if I can find a friend who likes the show - so far I haven't.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.