Reload this Page >

Need For Speed Underground

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-20-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this out yet? The release date was supposed to be 11/17/03.

I'm not a big fan of the NFS series (although Hot Pursuit 2 is pretty good), but this one definitely looks like the best one of them all. Especially with all the customizations you can do to the car. Has anyone played it?
Old 11-20-03, 11:35 AM

Yeah, this game is out. I picked it up on the PC. The graphics are pretty sweet, but the controls are a little too 'arcade-ish'. There are A LOT of customization to do in the 'Underground' mode. I hear there's only 20 cars though. You might want to rent it before you decide to buy it.
Old 11-20-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NFS Underground...

I'm not much of a gamer in terms of racing (actually I pretty much suck on it) but I could probably rate NFS Underground equal to NFS Porsche Unleashed. The physics are very good (except for no damage model).

Graphics are quite remarkable considering the two tracks I've played in circuit mode (I am certainly a bad one at that since I couldn't even unlock the other tracks).

IGN rated this a 9.0.
Old 11-20-03, 01:20 PM

I saw someone playing it yesterday at EB and was amazed at the graphics...the streets look amazing in it, so wet and pavement like..i already have midnight club 2, but i might have to buy this..dangit!
Old 11-20-03, 02:17 PM

If you like drag racing this is the only game that has EVER got it right.
Old 11-22-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Awesome game. Been playing it since last night. The racing is fun... i love arcade style racers far better then simulations. Customizing your car is easy and straightforward... although there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of variations as far as performance enhancements so far (although i'm only on level 1). I think this is the most fun i've had with a racing game ever.
Old 11-22-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The camera is annoying because it has "2Fast 2 Furious" style, meaning that when you use the nitro the enviornment blurs and any time you are over 100 MPH the camera shakes.

I like the Fast Furious movies because they're fun, but when you're trying to race it's just really annoying.

Also, the graphics aren't very impressive on XBOX running through component cables into my 51" 16x9.
Old 11-24-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the game though maybe not as much as the previous NFS series. I don't like the fact I have the money to buy upgrades and can't buy anything because everything is locked. I may pcik up later if there is a price drop but for now it is just a renter.
Old 11-25-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Any cops in this one?
Old 11-25-03, 09:01 AM

Nope.
Old 11-25-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there some trick to opening the upgrades? I have about 9000 in the bank and nothing that I have veen able to buy all I keep winning are vinyl and those do nothing even for reputation.
Old 11-26-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Just race more maps and get more style points. That's pretty much it... the game is actually fairly linear, letting you upgrade certain things at certain times, which is kind of a shame.
Old 11-26-03, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Just race more maps and get more style points. That's pretty much it... the game is actually fairly linear, letting you upgrade certain things at certain times, which is kind of a shame.
It is just strange to have a game where I can afford to upgrade but can't. And now I am partly into level two upgrades and I still have 15,000 in the bank.
Old 11-28-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ya, the upgrading kind of sucks. Despite having enough money, you have to work your way up through more races and reputation. The reputation meter is the worst aspect of the game. I hate the ricer culture with a passion, but I love some japanese super cars (supra, 3kgt, skyline, fairlady, etc) so I like the performance aspect, but hate the flashy shit. I got as far as I could without ricing out my car, but it comes to a certain point where you are forced to to gain reputation stars to be able to go onto the next race. I believe once you complete the game you can take all that shit off and still have your fast car though.

Overall I think it's a great game. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and am going to buy a wheel for that and Colin Mcrae 3.
Old 11-28-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ergyu
Ya, the upgrading kind of sucks. Despite having enough money, you have to work your way up through more races and reputation. The reputation meter is the worst aspect of the game. I hate the ricer culture with a passion, but I love some japanese super cars (supra, 3kgt, skyline, fairlady, etc) so I like the performance aspect, but hate the flashy shit. I got as far as I could without ricing out my car, but it comes to a certain point where you are forced to to gain reputation stars to be able to go onto the next race. I believe once you complete the game you can take all that shit off and still have your fast car though.

Overall I think it's a great game. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and am going to buy a wheel for that and Colin Mcrae 3.
I agree the other thing I hate is why does every car have the same body kit. I guess the game is ok overall but I was really let down.
Old 12-05-03, 05:56 PM

couldve used cops, damage modeling and CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS! BUT DAMN DOES THIS GAME F&*&(ING ROCK! Ive played about 10 hours in 2 days...im loving this game, its so addicting, and guaranteed that the above mentioned will definately be added in the sequel!
Old 12-05-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I was having tons of fun with this game until I got to stage 59/111.

At this point I've pretty much stopped playing b/c the game went past the fun point and into the annoying zone. It's just WAY too difficult for me.

The lack of variety is very noticeable now too.
Old 02-04-04, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I beat this game awhile back on the Xbox (and so did my roommate)... we loved it. I thought the upgrades were handled perfectly and the customization was alot of fun. The thing about the performance upgrades, if you don't install them, the other cars you race against don't have them installed either (a little tip if you're having problems with a certain race - I only had to do this on one race), so there's really no hurry to get the next upgrade. Thing is - I felt like the upgrades came just in time to keep me from losing interest. Well balanced game. It was a little buggy (some custom vinyls didn't fit right with certain cars and some parts caused crazy graphical phenomenons during races)... it probably could've used another month or two to work out the minor bugs. Otherwise, it was great.

The reason I'm drudging up this thread actually is cuz I was looking for a Midnight Club 2 thread and didn't see one. I recently picked it up cheap and played it tonight. I don't like this game. Does anyone like the Midnight Club series? If so... Why? I mean, compared to NFSU - it's no contest... but even comparing it to older games like Project Gotham 1 or Gran Tourismo 3 it's not that good. How does it compare to Auto Modelista? Anyone looking forward to the Fast and the Furious game? I saw some raw footage on IGN and it looks like it might be decent.
Old 02-04-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
The reason I'm drudging up this thread actually is cuz I was looking for a Midnight Club 2 thread and didn't see one. I recently picked it up cheap and played it tonight. I don't like this game. Does anyone like the Midnight Club series? If so... Why? I mean, compared to NFSU - it's no contest... but even comparing it to older games like Project Gotham 1 or Gran Tourismo 3 it's not that good. How does it compare to Auto Modelista? Anyone looking forward to the Fast and the Furious game? I saw some raw footage on IGN and it looks like it might be decent.
I had MCII for the Xbox when it came out and I can also say I was thoroughly disappointed. Everyone was talking like it was the greatest arcade racer ever back then. I thought the controls were good, but the races were totally poorly designed. Too many hidden shortcuts that the CPU would take advantage of, and as a result I got sick of playing the same race 100 times over just to nail that one shortcut perfectly so I could finish first. And don't even mention online play - boring modes, disrespectful players.

PG2 is the king of all arcade racers, IMO. Next is TXR for the DC - Genki makes some great racers so I can't wait to check out Drift Racer this month. And if you can, check out Burnout 2 and Pro Race Driver for the Xbox - both are receiving sequels this year.

Auto Modelista is really really bad. It has arcade controls but sim consequences, so any minor mistake and you are out of the race. Graphics are sweet though.

I haven't seen much of the Fast and the Furious game, but one to check out is Acclaim's new title Juiced which is coming out later this year:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/driving/juiced/

Jeremy
Old 02-04-04, 08:41 AM

If any nfs game needed cops to be in it, it wouldve been this one, only thing missing really, that and the replays.......those were always sweet................I used to save them, when you had a really good train wreck of a race.
Old 02-04-04, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by DamingR
Also, the graphics aren't very impressive on XBOX running through component cables into my 51" 16x9.
what! im running this game thru s-video to my 53 inch projection tv and it looks AWESOME! sumthings wrong with your setup or your eyes.
Old 02-04-04, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by fitzcain
If any nfs game needed cops to be in it, it wouldve been this one, only thing missing really, that and the replays.......those were always sweet................I used to save them, when you had a really good train wreck of a race.
Cops definately! im sure theyre saving that for underground 2
Old 02-04-04, 05:24 PM

i finished this game about a month ago..took me a few weeks, probably spent 20 hours...there was just one or two courses that just drove me crazy, had to keep restarting the track, or just playing it on easy.

it was fun at first but near the end it just gets repetitive and i kinda just lost interest but i still kept on playing it to finish. once a while some friends and i will fire it up to do our favorite thing, drifting. (with the RX7 or Miata)
Old 02-04-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason I'm drudging up this thread actually is cuz I was looking for a Midnight Club 2 thread and didn't see one. I recently picked it up cheap and played it tonight. I don't like this game. Does anyone like the Midnight Club series? If so... Why? I mean, compared to NFSU - it's no contest... but even comparing it to older games like Project Gotham 1 or Gran Tourismo 3 it's not that good.
I can see how someone wouldn't like this series, but for me I think they really nailed street racing down. It has flashy tricks which are actually functional which I think is great. The sense of speed in the game is also incredible. I do think its really hard, almost too hard, and certain laps have to be played over and over and over and over again until you find a line that works for you and after you find that line no make any major mistakes. I also liked the fact that the races were pretty open ended as oppossed to the NFS series with the few short cuts but still being pretty linear. So thats why I like MC and MCII.

I also love the NFS series, with Hot Pursuit 2 being a high point (how badass were those cops?). I've only played the demo of Underground and from what I've seen it looks like its going to be a blast to play. They really did a great job on the sound (shifting gears, nitrous). Both series deliver fun which is a must in my racing games, something that Gran Turismo (outside of part 1) just couldn't do for me. I never really was a gear head or sim fan. I would say to stick with MC2 for a while (until you get used to the controls and all), there really is some fun to be had.
Old 02-05-04, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah - I'll keep trying MC2... maybe I would've liked it more if I hadn't already played through NFSU. I doubt they'll put cops in NFSU2 unless it's Hot Pursuit. I'm sure they will come out with a few more NFS titles though... I've been with the series since the first game on the PC. I think I logged the most hours on NFS2SE.

I have Burnout 2 and I've played Burnout - to be honest, I really can't get into them. It's fun for about 10 - 20 minutes at a time and then I gotta ditch it for months at a time... kinda like Serious Sam. I have Pro Race Driver on preorder at half.com and I'm interested to check it out. I have Apex, Rallisport and Total Immersion Racing... Rallisport is good, but Apex and Total Immersion are both pretty average. I have other racing games, but so far only a few have kept my attention. There's a few I'm looking forward to...

I think I've hit a wall in PGR2 - I'm at the Ferrari section and can't beat any of the races (for silver medals)... I guess I could try for a bronze or steel, but I'd like to beat it with at least silvers. Guess I'm not very good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.