Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Soul Caliber II - GC or PS2?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-29-03, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Im debating on which system to buy this for, and wanted to get some opinions. I didnt see any threads.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
There are certainly threads on this topic, but it's an easy question to answer.
Here's the leader in each catagory:

Graphics : GC
Exclusive Character : GC (by far, Link over Heihachi)
Control : PS2, but really it should be played on an Arcade stick anyway.

So really, picking the GC is a no-brainer (unless you hate the controller and refuse to buy an arcade stick).
Old 10-29-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I beg to differ about the controls. GC controls seem like a perfect fit really and I picked it up with no problem after a few minutes.
Old 10-29-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't forget Target have have Soul Calibur 2 $39.97 or you can get it at Toysrus buy 2 get 1 FREE PS2/XBOX games..... then exchange it for GC version

I rather get the Toysrus Ads (Buy 2 get 1 FREE) go to Bestbuy or CC for Pricematch (ask for Gift Receipt) come back later w/ Gift Receipt & ask for Pricematch w/ Target for $39.99

Also, BB have Time Crisis 3 w/ Gun Con 2 for $49.99 instead $59.99 (very good game & very good Deal)
Old 10-30-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
What's Soul Caliber?
Old 10-30-03, 04:10 AM
Banned

Some Sega Dreamcast game.
Old 10-30-03, 11:05 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GC. Heihachi sucks, Link fits the game well and the Graphics are much better on the GC.

The game plays ok with the GC controller, but I disagree with Jack that it's even. It's ok if you can play with the analog stick, I started that way, but the D-pad is much more accurate especially with all the tap-tap moves in this game. The GC's D-pad is too small.
Old 10-31-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Revoltor
Some Sega Dreamcast game.
No it wasnt, Soul Calibur was a Dreamcast game. What is Soul Caliber ?

GC. Heihachi sucks, Link fits the game well and the Graphics are much better on the GC. The game plays ok with the GC controller, but I disagree with Jack that it's even. It's ok if you can play with the analog stick, I started that way, but the D-pad is much more accurate especially with all the tap-tap moves in this game. The GC's D-pad is too small.
Well then Mr Hinkle I'd have to disagree with you. I own and play all three versions of this game and each have there pros and cons but in my opinion all three are evenly matched. When you strip away each of the consoles "exclusive" star it is still Soul Calibur. Granted the PS2 version is lacking in the graphics department, but you cant exactly say it sucks because of Hehachi. The SC 2 arcade game was built on PS2 hardware so its safe to say that the port is arcade perfect. I find using Hehachi a challenge because I fight a lot of people who fight range and up close, granted I can play Tekken and still use the old fart, but I cant play Tekken and get smacked with a Soul Edge weapon and say its the same because its not. There was a guy woh came to my store and played SC 2 (PS2) everyday we had it up, and he was our Tekken 4 champ. Not to brag or anything but he picked up the controller thinking it would be the same Tekken style, and to his suprise I cleaned his clock with Hehachi.

The analog stick on the Cube is flawless, the PS2 analog stick isnt well placed for its use so I use the D-pad, and on the XBox I switch it up depending on whom Im using. Bottom line is the game great no matter what system you play it on, but if your a "gamer" that gets hung up on graphics or who would win in a fight then by all means pick a character, me I'll just stick to the game itself.

Last edited by zero; 10-31-03 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-31-03, 01:28 AM

I, as well as zero, picked up all three versions. Me, personally, I prefer the Cube version seein' as I had that version of the game imported when it was released in Japan. I really don't use the exclusive characters because they're not available in the arcades so rather than having my a$$ handed to me, I've always used Talim since I started.... I'm not too bad at it either. It did take some getting used to using the analog stick but within a week I nailed the combos out really well. Plus I can tend to get all crazy like with a Wavebird so having no cords getting in the way really helps. heheh...
Old 10-31-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's generally agreed within the SC2 community that Necrid is the best character by far. Followed closely by Heihachi. Heihachi is very powerful in this game. Overpowered actually. Link is a lower tier character, and Spawn is middle tier. So if that makes a difference on your purchase decision, I dunno. Of course if you are really serious about the game, it doesn't matter since all 4 of the aforementioned characters are banned at all SC2 tournaments & competitions.
Old 10-31-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Joshic
Link is a lower tier character
This review seems to state otherwise:

"Link from the Legend of Zelda is here (courtesy of Nintendo), and is the main reason why this version of the game will sell very well. He should not be the reason everyone is buying the game because it has much more to offer than just him. Even though he is a great character to play, he can be a bit unfair. He has a lot more moves than most of the characters and can call upon three extra weapons that can turn the tide of a battle instantly. His bombs do a great amount of damage and make the opponent very vulnerable to vertical attacks. His boomerang can prove to be annoying for the opponent as some unskilled players simply like to throw it at a constant rate over and over again. Finally, Link’s bow and arrow is by far the most unbalanced weapon in the game, as it will constantly knock opponents down. So if you want a character that is pretty easy to use and has very deep and powerful attacks, then Link is the guy for you."

Link (heh heh): http://www.vgcity.com/reviews/199.html