Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

DVD inserts-essential or a waste of paper?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 10-11-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In the Kill Bill DVD thread Jackskeleton posted:

"A dvd shall have an insert or the studio who released said dvd shall be casted away to the cold pits of hell."

I've seen other references to the importance of inserts. While I like the multi-page inserts with more pix and liner notes, the one page w/chapter and a photo or two don't much matter to me. I usually just give them one quick glance if there's no added content.

Is everyone pissed if they don't get the one-pager?
Old 10-11-03, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like inserts. Always feel like i'm missing something when i open a dvd and see that it doens't come with an insert.

And yes the multi page inserts are great, more pics, more info.. the more the better.
Old 10-12-03, 12:00 AM

Love the inserts, I always feel cheated when there are no inserts. It is a very minor expense for the DVD manufactor and gives a quick catalog of chapters incase you want to go to a previous scene.
The first dvd that I bought without an insert was The Recruit and I remember taking it back to the store returning it and making the store manager open countless other copies of The Recruit just to see that there really was no insert.
Old 10-12-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only essential for me when it is a collectible booklet, or at the very least...a 2 page foldout with decent information. a one-sheet with only chapter stops is a waste of space and paper. I dont need a list. I want information tidbits and write-ups.

in place of weak or missing inserts...I make my own info-packet and include it with most of my dvds where a proper booklet should be. I print them out from various sources, including reveiws and history. if they cant do it right...I will.

so YES...if it's only a piece of paper with chapter stops...they can keep it and leave it empty. then lower the price and stop charging me for that worthless decoration. all IMHO.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 10-12-03 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-12-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Agree with gutwrencher. They should save a few trees if they're not going to put anything interesting on it.
Old 10-12-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think every DVD should have an insert with at LEAST a chapter listing on it, just as I feel every CD should have an insert with all of the lyrics on it.
Old 10-12-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
I think every DVD should have an insert with at LEAST a chapter listing on it, just as I feel every CD should have an insert with all of the lyrics on it.
I like that idea about the CD inserts . . . do you think we could convince the studios to do something similar and release DVD inserts with nothing less than the the script on it? That'd sort of be like DVD "lyrics" . . .
Old 10-12-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by talemyn
I like that idea about the CD inserts . . . do you think we could convince the studios to do something similar and release DVD inserts with nothing less than the the script on it? That'd sort of be like DVD "lyrics" . . .
Now that's going just a BIT too far.
Old 10-12-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
in place of weak or missing inserts...I make my own info-packet and include it with most of my dvds where a proper booklet should be. I print them out from various sources, including reveiws and history. if they cant do it right...I will.
That sounds like a great thing...do you make these available like others who make their own "improved" cover art for DVDs? That would be a very cool thing.

Chalk me up with gutwrencher and others saying if it's simply chapter listings and maybe the same photo that's on the cover...I don't care if its there at all or not. Everytime I see a "Did ____ come with an insert" I sort of sigh in disappointment.
Old 10-14-03, 03:43 PM

My opinion: Big-time waste o' paper. Fewer and fewer DVDs are being released with them and, frankly, I don't miss 'em.
Old 10-14-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i never understood the rage some people on this and similar boards display over the lack of an insert. personally, i don't mind them but i don't think i've ever had the use of one either. i've never needed to look at one while watching a movie and the whole outrage over something like that is just plain ridiculous.. i too would very much like to know why certain individuals get so worked up about it as if it was the end of the world.

booklets is one thing, but a single page with nothing but a chapter listing? yikes.
Old 10-15-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Every DVD should have a collectible booklet.
Old 10-15-03, 11:29 PM

I just can't stand anything in a DVD or CD case without SOMETHING there in that spot. Video games, movies, music. Like the GameCube preview disc, it bothers me that there is no booklet or something besides the stupid Nintendo Power subscripton thing and warning pamphlet. It has to be something actually relating to the movie or game its in. And CD's with no covers? That's even worse. I don't want to just stare at the disc when the case is closed.
Old 10-15-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never understood why there were so many threads about inserts. They are a waste and I think people are far too concerned about them. The group complaining about snappers is just under insert nuts in my book.

I'm just happy to have the DVD.
Old 01-06-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Today I was talking with someone at work and she mentioned how her husband gets really mad if there is no insert. Apparently he thought they were standard and returned two since he thought they were missing.
Old 01-07-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Add me to the list of people who don't care about inserts. Even when it is a nice booklet like the ones that come in some of the Criterions, I just flip through it once, say "wow, neat", and then never look at it again.