Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

KISS ME KATE Recall?

KISS ME KATE Recall?

Old 09-28-03, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KISS ME KATE Recall?

I read somewhere that Warner Brothers is remastering this dvd because something is wrong with the aspect ratio. Any input as to what exactly IS wrong?

Is this another "Back to the Future" mishap?
Old 09-28-03, 04:04 PM

There is a very lengthy thread over at www.hometheaterforum.com (software forum) about this topic.

The DVD is too tightly cropped in various places.
Old 09-28-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing is wrong with the aspect ratio.

It just is tightly framed. It's supposed to be based on what dye-transfer prints looked like (in terms of framing), but something went wrong.

The new transfer should expose the entire frame, whether it's identical to the reference print or not.
Old 03-05-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just posted over at HTF:

"I'm happy to say that we have created a new transfer and a new run of KISS ME KATE DVDs.

Warner Home Video would like the HTF members to know that if they would like to have a KISS ME KATE replacement, they need to return their disc (in the original packaging) to:

Sherri Bogard
Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Building 154, Room 3104
Burbank, CA 91522

We'd be happy to send them a re-paid mailer to facilitate their request. In order to receive this, they should send their request via e-mail to [email protected] , include their mailing address and the mailer will be sent to them..."
Old 03-05-04, 02:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Thanks for letting us know. I put in a request for the pre-paid mailer. The original HTF thread about the original disc can be found here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ight=kiss+kate
Old 03-05-04, 09:08 AM

Without sending the dvd back to Warner Brothers, how will consumers know which dvd is the correct version if purchased at a retail store? Will there be a new catalogue number?
Old 03-05-04, 11:54 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I haven't picked this one up yet - should I wait? Will we be able to tell the difference?
Old 03-06-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sent in my email yesterday requesting the mailer. Hopefully Warner will send them quickly. Anyone that wants to get the DVD should wait until more information becomes available on how to identify the corrected copies.
Old 03-17-04, 09:51 PM

I received the mailer to return KISS ME KATE but now I'm wondering if I should keep the old dvd and just buy the new pressing at a retail store. Will the old dvd be worth anything someday?
Old 03-18-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by FILMCZY
I received the mailer to return KISS ME KATE but now I'm wondering if I should keep the old dvd and just buy the new pressing at a retail store. Will the old dvd be worth anything someday?
I would exchange it for the corrected version. I seriously doubt the old disc will be worth anything. Also if you purchase another copy at a store there may not be anyway to tell if the disc was the corrected version. Well at least to date no one has posted any information on identifying the new DVD from the old. Or it could require opening the DVD case to inspect the disc for certain markings to verify it is the newer disc. So exchanging discs could be less of a hassle.
Old 03-22-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is an update on the new Kiss Me Kate DVD from Warner. The new discs are arriving to people who requested them for exchange. However Warner is sending out many old misframed DVDs in place of the corrected one. I received my copy Saturday but it was another older disc, and I have to try again. But some of the new discs were sent out and enough information is now available to distinguish between both discs. Also here is a link to some screen captures comparing both DVDs posted over at Home Theater Forum.

One way to determine the new DVD from the old is by the ID number on the hub or inner ring of the disc.

Example of old DVD:

7Y 65088.1.B VA01

Example 2 updated DVD:

7Y 65088V2.1.B VB02

Another way to tell if the DVD is updated is by accessing the special features to see the new "Right Eye: Special 3D Footage" has been added. If this is missing you have the old disc.

And finally an updated DVD can be determined by checking the dates of the VOB files on the disc. But it requires a DVD-ROM on a computer to read these files. To my knowledge they cannot be accessed through a regular DVD player. Old discs have files dated around February 2003, while newer discs are dated around October 2003.
Old 03-22-04, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the update LASERMOVIES.

Is there any way of telling the new version from the packaging as opposed to actually looking at the disc?
Old 03-22-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by FILMCZY
Thanks for the update LASERMOVIES.

Is there any way of telling the new version from the packaging as opposed to actually looking at the disc?
Unfortunately from what I heard the outside of the package is identical including the UPC code. The only way to tell is by opening the package and inspecting the DVD. Even Warner can't distinguish the difference and are sending out the wrong discs as replacements. I now have to go through the exchange process for yet a second time.
Old 04-01-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same here... I just got my "April Fools" joke in the mail from WB; I've emailed a request for either a 2nd pre-paid mailer or that they simply send me a copy of the corrected disc w/o artwork.
Old 04-02-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still waiting for Warner to send me a second pre-paid mailer. I emailed the request for the mailer 10 days ago and haven't heard back from them. Can't say that I am in a hurry to return my second disc until Warner can figure out what they are sending.
Old 04-02-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've returned discs to Warner twice now and both times they sent me the same old pressing in return. Sigh.

Apprently this is happening to lots of people.
Old 04-02-04, 10:36 AM

Nice. I'm sure it'll be fun buying one at Best Buy and returning an opened copy with this explanation. Sounds like the same deal as "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life" -- I bought one from DDD last month and STILL had to send the thing back. At least that one was fairly well publicized, whereas this is only the 2nd place I've heard about this at all.
Old 04-24-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finally received on my second try a corrected version of Kiss Me Kate today from Warner. However I didn't see any markings on the outside of the case that would indicate it is a new pressing. So that will make it difficult for anyone wanting to purchase a new copy at a B&M store unless you open the DVD case.

But the disc did have the new 3D feature mentioned earlier. And comparing screen shots confirmed the proper framing. I did find that the last number on the inner hub of the disc was a little different then the previous example given for the corrected disc. My copy was changed from VB02 to VB04 but all other numbers matched. So at least anyone wanting to exchange their copy of Kiss Me Kate should receive the new pressing now from Warner.