Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Eminem Being Sued By Grandmother

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-18-03, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/249...tml=&tmi=&ts=H

Woman Claims She's Not Been Paid For Use Of Music

POSTED: 1:09 p.m. EDT September 18, 2003

Eminem is feeling the heat from a 70-year-old grandmother over a piece of her late husband's music.

According to court documents obtained by TheSmokingGun Web site, Harlene Stein is suing her grandson (whose real name is Marshall Mathers), producer Dr. Dre (whose real name is Andre Young), label Interscope Records and seven other parties for allegedly sampling Ronald Stein's "Pigs Go Home" for Eminem's song "Guilty Conscience" without authorization.

Ronald Stein, who died in 1988, was a film composer. The document says "Pigs Go Home" -- an instrumental composition -- was featured in the 1970 Candice Bergen-Elliott Gould drama "Getting Straight."

The liner notes to "The Slim Shady LP" mention that "Guilty Conscience" contains an "interpolation" From "Pigs Go Home" but does not name Ronald Stein as composer.

Harlene Stein says she has not been paid for its use. Her suit does not specify monetary damages. The "Slim Shady LP" sold over five million copies, according to TheSmokingGun.

Eminem's representatives had no comment on the litigation.

He sure has problems with women. First his wife sues him, then his mom & now his grandmother! Who's next Hailie?

Chris
Old 09-18-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
Everyone wants a piece of the pie. I'd give her the money if she can prove the grandfather transferred the copyright to her (which I doubt she can).

And hey Hailie's been featured on some songs... I hope he's giving her a nice allowance
Old 09-18-03, 02:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's not his grandmother that's suing him, it's A grandmother.

Why do they always mention "grandmother" when talking about some old lady like it's an accomplishment? Stupid liberal media.
Old 09-18-03, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
It's not his grandmother that's suing him, it's A grandmother.

Why do they always mention "grandmother" when talking about some old lady like it's an accomplishment? Stupid liberal media.
I was confused also, but it says this 'According to court documents obtained by TheSmokingGun Web site, Harlene Stein is suing her grandson (whose real name is Marshall Mathers),

Chris
Old 09-18-03, 03:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The NBC story is incorrect. They aren't related.
Old 09-18-03, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
The NBC story is incorrect. They aren't related.
Really? Then this story isn't all that interesting anymore! Why can't they proofread a simple article?

Chris
Old 09-18-03, 03:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

[Online article since edited]

<small>
Originally posted by mrpayroll
According to court documents obtained by TheSmokingGun Web site, Harlene Stein is suing her grandson (whose real name is Marshall Mathers)
</small>It was updated/edited a couple of hours later and now reads:
"According to court documents obtained by TheSmokingGun Web site, Harlene Stein is suing the rapper (whose real name is Marshall Mathers)"
Old 09-20-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally posted by GatorDeb
Everyone wants a piece of the pie. I'd give her the money if she can prove the grandfather transferred the copyright to her (which I doubt she can).
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/201.html
(d) Transfer of Ownership. -

(1) The ownership of a copyright may be transferred in whole or in part by any means of conveyance or by operation of law, and may be bequeathed by will or pass as personal property by the applicable laws of intestate succession.