Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

"Killer" Criterion DVD & THE WHITE RING...!

Old 09-17-03, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi - a quick question for those in the know...

I asked a friend to sell a copy of "The Killer" Criterion DVD on eBay for me. I picked it up at a used store, and already had my own copy, so thought I'd sell this one.

He just called me to say he'd had about 4 emails already, asking whether the disc had a "white ring."

I've just been checking eBay - sellers do mention it, but I didn't find a clear explanation of it. Looks like both versions are valid, but the white ring may be a first pressing? It seems to be desirable.

This is actually the first I've heard about this. Could someone enlighten me?

Thanks for any help, as always...

Bleddyn
Old 09-17-03, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Ring shows it's the real deal and not a bootleg.
Old 09-17-03, 01:32 PM

For all Criterion productions, you could check at CRITERION COLLECTION FORUM @ WWW.EZBOARD.COM. They discuss and answer all your questions regarding their products. It's pretty cool.
Old 09-17-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No White Ring, No sale is generally how it goes. If it doesnt have it, it is considered a Bootlegg.
Old 09-17-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
There are 2 versions of The Killer CC, one with the white ring and one without. How do I know? Because I bought it five years ago and mine does not have the white ring.

Pictures courtesy of Ebay.

Mine looks like this:

The white ring looks like this:

Last edited by inri222; 09-17-03 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-17-03, 06:07 PM

couple of month there was a thread discussing this may be it will help u
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=296710

i think there exist two versions of the copy also ( one with white ring and one without) ...., for now i am not planning to add Killer criterion to my collection. Damn you BOOTLEGGERS for putting a hole in my collection !!!!
Old 09-18-03, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I took a look at my copy at home, bought soon after the disc originally came out. It has the white ring.

The spare copy doesn't, so I have two copies, just like inri222's pics. The serial numbers, etc on the non-white disc's inner ring are idential to my white ring copy. The printed insert and cover are identical on both copies.

It does sound like there are two runs out there. The non-white ring copy and packaging sure doesn't look like a boot to me.
Old 09-18-03, 02:11 PM

Well, I cancelled my auction on eBay. Why, you ask? Well, my friend tried to help last night, by adding "explanatory" text to the auction. The thing is, he was tired, and...

With his blessing, here for your entertainment is what he wrote. If you can get through this with a straight face, you're a stronger man than I....

I HAVE EXAMINED THE DISK AND SEE NO WHITE RING IN THE MIDDLE. IT IS SERIAL NUMBERED AND HAS A VERY INTERESTING INSERT CONTAINING COMMENTARY WRITTEN BY DAVID CHUTE. I DO NOT KNOW WHO HE IS BUT IT GOES INTO HOW THE MOVIE WAS MADE ETC. I HAVE RESEARCHED THE RING PHENOMINON AND IT SEEMS THERE IS A PREMIUM PLACED ON SUCH DISKS. I CANNOT TELL IF THE RING IS THERE. I DO NOT SEE ONE BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. I HAVE A PICTURE OF THE DISK AND INSERT IN THE BOX AND CANNOT ADD IT SO I WILL BE HAPPY TO EMAIL IT TO ALL INTERESTED PARTIES. I DO NOT CLAIM THIS IS A COLLECTABLE IT IS AN OUT OF PRINT FILM THAT IS FUN TO WATCH.

Old 01-15-04, 06:21 AM

I'll give you 50.00 for it? let me know.
Old 01-15-04, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
Well, I cancelled my auction on eBay. Why, you ask? Well, my friend tried to help last night, by adding "explanatory" text to the auction. The thing is, he was tired, and...

With his blessing, here for your entertainment is what he wrote. If you can get through this with a straight face, you're a stronger man than I....

I HAVE EXAMINED THE DISK AND SEE NO WHITE RING IN THE MIDDLE. IT IS SERIAL NUMBERED AND HAS A VERY INTERESTING INSERT CONTAINING COMMENTARY WRITTEN BY DAVID CHUTE. I DO NOT KNOW WHO HE IS BUT IT GOES INTO HOW THE MOVIE WAS MADE ETC. I HAVE RESEARCHED THE RING PHENOMINON AND IT SEEMS THERE IS A PREMIUM PLACED ON SUCH DISKS. I CANNOT TELL IF THE RING IS THERE. I DO NOT SEE ONE BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. I HAVE A PICTURE OF THE DISK AND INSERT IN THE BOX AND CANNOT ADD IT SO I WILL BE HAPPY TO EMAIL IT TO ALL INTERESTED PARTIES. I DO NOT CLAIM THIS IS A COLLECTABLE IT IS AN OUT OF PRINT FILM THAT IS FUN TO WATCH.

That is quite ammusing