Reload this Page >

Mario Kart: Double Dash for Gamecube

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-03-03, 09:59 PM
lurkr4vr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So anyone excited about this title? I've decided to pick up a Gamecube JUST for this title alone.

Here are some screenshots

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/dri...reenindex.html

Here's an early review

http://www.planetgamecube.com/impres...profile&id=571

There's a rumour that it might include Mario Kart 64 on the same disc. Awesome!

MM

Last edited by MrMarketng; 09-03-03 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-04-03, 01:22 AM

I'm gonna wait and rent this one before spending cash on it. E3 build was apparently slow and no skid boost. They have sped it up and added the skid boost. Something just irks me about the game that they didn't think to have those two things that way originally until people started complaining about the E3 build.

Also, I don't see the point in having the pre-order disc being Mario Kart 64. No one will play it heh,why would you when you have double dash?

Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time pre-order disc was different in that the master quest version of the game was never released. Plus LoZ:OOT is one the greatest games of any generation when MK64 was somewhat mediocre compared to the original(IMO).
Old 09-04-03, 06:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Galanthas
I'm gonna wait and rent this one before spending cash on it. E3 build was apparently slow and no skid boost. They have sped it up and added the skid boost. Something just irks me about the game that they didn't think to have those two things that way originally until people started complaining about the E3 build.
Just because something isn't included in the E3 build doesn't mean that they weren't planning on including it...it just means they hadn't implemented it yet.
Old 09-04-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I plan on getting it. I don't see how any self-respecting college student could say otherwise.

*Based on the assumption that Nintendo delivers with the title, not to worried about that though.
Old 09-04-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna wait and rent this one before spending cash on it. E3 build was apparently slow and no skid boost. They have sped it up and added the skid boost.
Recently IGN played an updated version. They included the Skid boost and said it was even more integral to winning and the speed has also increased.

You've got to trust Nintendo on this one. They have been making Mario Kart games for years. I doubt they don't know what makes the game good.
Old 09-04-03, 08:14 AM

Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time pre-order disc was different in that the master quest version of the game was never released. Plus LoZ:OOT is one the greatest games of any generation when MK64 was somewhat mediocre compared to the original(IMO).
Is the original Mario Kart the version that's on the GBA now?
Old 09-04-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Naw the original Mario Kart for the best system ever: Super Nintendo.
Old 09-04-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For once - I agree with PJ.
Old 09-04-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IAlso, I don't see the point in having the pre-order disc being Mario Kart 64. No one will play it heh,why would you when you have double dash?
I disagree completely, MK64 was an awesome game and my kids and I still play it. The multiplayer mode on it is fantastic and easy enough for my 4 year old to play. I doubt Double Dash will be as easy to control (though I do look forward to letting my 4 year old control the back driver). It's also possible they would include a new circuit of courses, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to implement.
Old 09-04-03, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
I plan on getting it. I don't see how any self-respecting college student could say otherwise.

*Based on the assumption that Nintendo delivers with the title, not to worried about that though.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Its Mario Kart! 'nuff said.

Sounds like the game is shaping up to be awesome with the speed increase and the almighty power slide .
Old 09-04-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 163 Posts
I am on the fence on this one. I probably won't buy it for a while, if ever. I already have a big shopping list for November: Mario Party 5 for the GC and Fire Emblem, Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Sacred Cards, River City Ransom and Mario and Luigi for the GBA.

I have Mario Kart for the GBA and I play it now and then but I just don't play it that much. I would use the multiplayer rarely so I'm looking for excellent single player replay value, which I just don't think this will have it for me. I have to spend at least 20 hours on a game to find it a worthy purchase.
Old 09-04-03, 12:17 PM
lurkr4vr

(though I do look forward to letting my 4 year old control the back driver).
Actually, I think the front and the back are controlled by the same player. There doesn't appear to be a way to have a second player control the second character in each cart. MAke sense?

I don't see how any self-respecting college student could say otherwise.
Right on.

Anyone have a release date btw?

MM
Old 09-04-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Toad isn't a racer then no sale. I'm tired of him being the damn_referee/host in other titles
Old 09-04-03, 12:31 PM
lurkr4vr

I read somewhere that Toad might be an unlockable character
Old 09-04-03, 12:31 PM

But it's Nintendo Groucho hehe, they shouldnt be making mistakes like that. And from what I read at the time the skid boost wasn't a missing feature it just wasn't part of the game.

Originally posted by Homer Simpson
I disagree completely, MK64 was an awesome game and my kids and I still play it. The multiplayer mode on it is fantastic and easy enough for my 4 year old to play. I doubt Double Dash will be as easy to control (though I do look forward to letting my 4 year old control the back driver). It's also possible they would include a new circuit of courses, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to implement.
I'm not saying I hated MK64, I did like it but it just didn't feel right compared to the one on the SNES.

Also, although I love Nintendo and my Cube it's hard to have complete faith in them. I don't like the fact that they are pushing connectivity between the GBA and Cube instead of online for MK: DD for example.

I haven't jumped onto the online bandwagon this gen yet but if Nintendo made some of their games online I wouldn't have hesitated.
Old 09-04-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, and what's up with Diddy Kong replacing Donkey Kong Jr.. what a load.
Old 09-04-03, 12:38 PM
lurkr4vr

And from what I read at the time the skid boost wasn't a missing feature it just wasn't part of the game.

Actually, I read in one of these reviews that the powerslide/skid boost had been implemented. It's now part of the game.
Old 09-04-03, 12:42 PM

Yea, I know it's there now but I'm saying it gives me pause when it should have been there in the first place and it wasn't.
Old 09-04-03, 12:51 PM
Retired

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Naw the original Mario Kart for the best system ever: Super Nintendo.
It's on the GBA as well. You unlock all the original circuits from the SNES game while playing through the new ones in the GBA game.
Old 09-04-03, 12:52 PM
Retired

Yea, I know it's there now but I'm saying it gives me pause when it should have been there in the first place and it wasn't.
And they were saying the build at E3 was just that, a build. Most like that stuff was always going to be in the game, they just weren't far enough along with the game to through it in the demo build for E3.
Old 09-04-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I'm also of the camp that preferred the SNES version to the N64 version of Mario Kart. I just felt that damn rubber band AI was incredibly cheap, and it added much frustration for me. The multiplayer was fun though. I'm hoping that this becomes the best version though.
Old 09-04-03, 12:59 PM
lurkr4vr

I started on the SNES version but don't remember it too well. What made it so much better than the N64 version?
Old 09-04-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrMarketng
I started on the SNES version but don't remember it too well. What made it so much better than the N64 version?
Playability.
Old 09-04-03, 01:20 PM

Argh.

2 years ago everyone complained that Nintendo waited to long to show their games off. People called them paranoid and foolish.

Now they are knocked for showing incomplete builds of games to early.

Fact is no one here knows if Nintendo planned to leave out that aspect of gameplay or not. Regardless it's in there now.

Justice oh justice, where art thou justice?
Old 09-04-03, 02:06 PM
lurkr4vr

One minute long trailor ... 6 Megs

http://www.nintendo.com/popups/av_po...contentId=8698

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.