Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to the "Chicago" re-release with a new musical number?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-11-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

With the DVD out next Tuesday, what happened to the planned theatrical re-release (with a musical number re-added after it was originally cut)?
Old 08-11-03, 10:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hmm...never heard anything about a theatrical re-release. Probably just another unsubstantiated internet rumor.

The cut number is on the DVD as a deleted scene.
Old 08-11-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Wish I could remember where I read that. A link off www.rottentomatoes.com I'm sure. But they even gave a time frame (sometime in July). And said it would be a limited release in less than 300 theatres. Or something along those lines. Hmm, oh well.
Old 08-11-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it was added on the dvd as a deleted scene. I believe it was a song with Queen Latifah & Katherine Zeta-Jones. It was featured on Ebert & Roeper yesterday.
Old 08-11-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember reading somewhere, probably in Entertainment Weekly, that there was a planned rerelease of Chicago with the reinstated musical number. I can't honestly say why it wasn't put back out in theatres, but my guess would be the box office was just too crowded with competing pictures. Plus, the window would have been so small between the theatrical rerelease and the dvd release.
Old 08-11-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I seem to recall that the song would have been performed in a more traditional musical style (i.e. a song out of the blue) as opposed to the narrative they had established with the numbers taking place in Roxie's head for the most part. Re-instating it into the move would have really gone against the style in which they were making the film IMO, and that might be why they decided it would best be a deleted scene.
Old 08-11-03, 03:45 PM

It's actually still showing here in the budget theaters, so I don't know about other places, but it would have been a hard draw around here given the fact people could see it for about $2 or less.
Old 08-11-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Miramax planned to rerelease this, and Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind, the former with a new number and the latter because it underperformed. However both ideas were scrapped, considering how packed the market is now.
Old 08-11-03, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I seem to recall that the song would have been performed in a more traditional musical style (i.e. a song out of the blue) as opposed to the narrative they had established with the numbers taking place in Roxie's head for the most part. Re-instating it into the move would have really gone against the style in which they were making the film IMO, and that might be why they decided it would best be a deleted scene.
That's the explanation given in the DVD's commentary for the deleted scene. They chose to remove the scene because it didn't fit the movie... if you added it back into the movie (for example for a theatrical rerelease) it still wouldn't fit. It's a great song, but a song being there doesn't make sense in context.
Old 08-11-03, 11:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Miramax planned to rerelease this, and Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind, the former with a new number and the latter because it underperformed. However both ideas were scrapped, considering how packed the market is now.
maybe this time around I can stay awake for "Confessions" and see all the scenes I fell asleep on.
Old 08-12-03, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard that after the Oscar hangover they woke up and realized the truth: The movie sucks, and its success was all hype directed at people who read People Magazine and care how much Rene Zellwegger weighs. Since this group can't be counted on as a return audience they junked the idea
Old 08-12-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pants
I heard that after the Oscar hangover they woke up and realized the truth: The movie sucks, and its success was all hype directed at people who read People Magazine and care how much Rene Zellwegger weighs. Since this group can't be counted on as a return audience they junked the idea
Old 08-12-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Pants

I second the
Old 09-06-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
You know, I watched it last night on DVD after having never seen it in a theater.

While I liked it (even though it is not the typical movie I like), I didn't think it was "all that".

I liked that it was different. A couple of the numbers were real "show stoppers" (IMHO). But I'm note running out to buy it, and probably would not watch it again...
Old 09-07-03, 01:28 AM

My guess? It was a bad idea. It's a cheap attempt to cash in on the success and I really doubt it would of worked. How many people would go to see the movie again, just because it had an added number? Not a lot, espically when you consider the fact that everyone would of thought "wow, it should of been in the original" or " wow, I can see why this was cut" or finally, "why didn't they just make it a deleted scene on the DVD?!?!?".
Old 09-07-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can somebody give me a more or less unbiased opinion: is Chicago worth my time or not? I do love a good musical, but I like them in the 'classic' mold. But I hate Miramax and their 'cookie cutter' formula for high-profile award-show 'flypaper.'
Old 09-07-03, 06:55 AM

I like musicals - I loved 'Dancer in the Dark' and I really didn't care for Chicago, other than the gorgeous girls flautning around.
Old 09-07-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like musicals - I really loved Moulin Rouge, liked Chicago, and hated Dancer in the Dark. It is definitely worth a rental if anything, just to see the Cell Black Tango number...
Old 09-07-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Loved Dancer in the Dark, Wizard of Oz and South Park BLU and I loved Chicago.

I think the
Spoiler:
And now ladies and gentleman, a tap dance
was one of the funniest bits of meta-humor I've heard in ages.