Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How Do People Get Subway/Bus Station Posters...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-02-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm just curious...do you think you have to work for the subway/bus station, or do you think you can just go up to an employee and ask if you can have the poster once they are ready to change them up and bring in a new one?

I know they are HUGE, but some are nice and are different from the original movie poster.
Old 08-02-03, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work as a location scout in NYC, so by chance I was in the Railyard near Coney Island(the main yard for subways). Anyway, walking by a garbage can, they were just throwing out most of these posters. Now, for the average poster, who cares about a Pepsi ad, or something for Lasik surgery or a bilingual school. But I did nab a whole mess of Soprano's stuff that is actually quite a bit nicer than anything they offer for sale commercially. This doesn't help you as to where to get the stuff, but it should confirm that this is considered trash by and large and shouldn't be that hard to obtain.
Old 08-02-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You can simply ask the marketing departments that put up the posters if the company wants them back or not. Typically this stuff is just considered trash to them and once it's time is up, they just toss them. Dumpster Diving time?

But I would have to say that 70% of them are just stolen. there was a big case of stealing bus stop ad's. there is a market for it on ebay so it is a form of quick cash for sellers and crap like that. When you think about it.. it's simple to see how they would rip it off. simply crack the window or whatever and run with it. I don't condone it.. nor will I ever claim to do it. but you can see that theft with those is a big issue.

So people either steal them or just collect them when the ad run is over. simple as that. you can find tons of them on ebay.
Old 08-02-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I bought one for my mom at a comic book shop.(titanic) That sucker is huge. Talk about big head syndrome!
Old 08-02-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys,

Hey Jack...how do you get in touch with the marketing departments? Should I just ask a employee at the subway if he knows someone I can get in touch with, or is there a easier or maybe more straightforward way to get in touch with them?
Old 08-02-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
just go through the system to who ever is taking care of the actual work of putting the stuff up.
Old 08-02-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
simply crack the window or whatever and run with it. I don't condone it.. nor will I ever claim to do it.
I knew someone who knew how to open up the bus shelters with a special tool he had, so he'd just use it, grab the poster and run like a mofo. I certainly don't recommend this to anyone, because stealing is stealing, no matter how you cut it...but I think most people who would steal, wouldn't crack or smash the window...that would garner some serious attention.... I say call the media company that puts them up, probably the best way to score some posters.

MATT
Old 08-02-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

at 3am in the morning, no one will be around to get the attention of... not that I tried it or anything..
Old 08-02-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it wasn't for that blasted third rail of constant electricity, that Reloaded subway poster would have been mine. All mine. . .
Old 08-03-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.moviemarket.com

They mostly sell original one-sheets, but they also have some British quad posters, which is similar (I think) to what you're inquiring about.
Old 08-03-03, 03:08 AM
Suspended

Damn, no wonder people crack bus stop display glass for these posters. The "Free Your Mind... 05.15" version of The Matrix Reloaded (27'x41' Single Sided Advance 3D Foil ) poster goes for $50.

I wanted the 27x41 version of individual Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman posters for South Park, BBU so bad a few years back. I was gonna raid the bus stop display cases... ok, I was kidding.
Old 08-04-03, 03:25 AM
Banned

One time...it think it was the Gap or Bannana Rep....put actual pairs of slacks in their bus stop advertisments.

Next day on the news there were reports of broken buststop displays all around the city.
Old 08-04-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Easiest thing is to ask transit employees, whether u see them putting them up or other workers, who to get in contact with. Slip the workers a few bucks and im sure theyll hand them over for cheaper than any stores.
Old 08-04-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
at 3am in the morning, no one will be around to get the attention of... not that I tried it or anything..

weird how one time a Sade poster just fell into my lap on my way back from NYC..

must be faulty adhesive..