Search

Question about E.T. box set

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Question about E.T. box set

Yes, I'm too lazy to spend a half hour searching through every thread that might possibly mention this subject, so I'll just politely ask for a simple answer here:

In regards to the big E.T. box set, does anyone know if it is, in fact, anamorphic or not? The box set itself doesn't say it is, but Amazon.com (last time I looked) claimed that it is. It's one of those items that they won't exactly let you bring back after it's opened if it's not what you wanted, so I need to find out.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 06-16-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it's anamorphic.
Old 06-16-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LBPound
Yes, it's anamorphic.
I have to ask...do you know this from personal experience, or because someone told you? I'm sorry to question again, but I have to be sure.

I find it strange that they wouldn't have indicated anamorphic on the box.

Thank you again.
Old 06-16-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt know lazy people were so pushy. LBPound is not a DVDTalk Legend for no reason. Try doing a web search next time before questioning an answer.
Old 06-16-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are ALL anamorphic - all versions, all regions.
Old 06-16-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tacomantt
I didnt know lazy people were so pushy. LBPound is not a DVDTalk Legend for no reason. Try doing a web search next time before questioning an answer.
I didn't think being polite and just wanting to make sure information is absolutely correct was going to result in responses by rude a-holes.

As far as being a "legend", how the hell am I supposed to know about someone's supposed "elite status" with this website. Anyone, legend or not, can post a fake answer, which could make the person needing the information go out and spend a buttload of money on something they were mislead on. Not that LBPound was trying to mislead me...I was just making a point.

I DID research...that was the purpose of the question. The box doesn't say it is, and other resources say it is. I was wanting to possibly find out from people who might actually own the box.

Bottom line, I was not being pushy, and I'm just wanting to make sure. If you can't be helpful, stay the hell out of the conversation. It just so happens I've done my fair share of helping people myself a while back, and I was extremely appreciated. Why don't you do YOUR homework before attacking people?
Old 06-16-03, 08:32 PM
Banned

Alright, let's please calm down. No need for name calling. I won't waste time echoing the previous responses, they are all correct. The book that comes with the gift set is excellent and I don't think you will be disappointed at all with your purchase. ESPECIALLY if you have never owned the soundtrack. It is WONDERFUL.
Old 06-16-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The_Infidel
As far as being a "legend", how the hell am I supposed to know about someone's supposed "elite status" with this website. Anyone, legend or not, can post a fake answer, which could make the person needing the information go out and spend a buttload of money on something they were mislead on. Not that LBPound was trying to mislead me...I was just making a point.
Well, not to be a "rude a-hole", but you could look to the left side of your screen, under the name LBPound, and you would see that it says "DVD Talk Legend".

As far as your question, a simple check of common DVD selling sites, for instance AMAZON (as you pointed out), would reveal this specification in the description, "Aspect Ratio(s): Widescreen anamorphic - 1.85:1". If everybody had a different spec, I would be suspicious, but all the ones I checked said the same thing.
Old 06-17-03, 01:48 AM
Banned

Old 06-17-03, 03:23 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Ah, there's an EmotionEric image for every occasion.

Yes, the boxed set is anamorphic. And it's MAGNIFICENT.

Except for the packagaing, it's a class act.

-- Jough
Old 06-17-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
Since he was asking about the box set, then the packaging is magnificent as well.
One word of warning, though : The box set contains both the '02 and '82 versions (like the regular versions), but for some odd reason, the DTS was dropped from the box set only in favor of French and Spanish DD 5.1 tacks on the '82 version. That's hard to explain. The box set does have some supplemental documentary footage that the regular sets lack, though. And the box set has the remixed soundtrack and a very nice hardcover book in the cool box.
Your call on that one, I'm afraid.
Old 06-17-03, 10:36 AM

I have the big box set and it is definitely anamorphic, as others note.

By the way, it is not unheard of for the box information to omit this information. There are other examples where the anamorphic aspect is not explicitly noted on the package. And of course, packages may also be wrong too.
Old 06-17-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Decker
One word of warning, though : The box set contains both the '02 and '82 versions (like the regular versions), but for some odd reason, the DTS was dropped from the box set only in favor of French and Spanish DD 5.1 tacks on the '82 version.
It says quite the opposite here:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...e.php?fid=2002

DTS on both versions of the film in the gift set, but DTS only on the new version of the film in the 2-disk release
Old 06-17-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Squirrel God
It says quite the opposite here:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...e.php?fid=2002

DTS on both versions of the film in the gift set, but DTS only on the new version of the film in the 2-disk release
Decker is right. I have both version of E.T. and the box set didn't have DTS on the original theatrical version. That's the reason I go double dipping this title. Damn Universal.
Old 06-17-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by eedoon
Decker is right. I have both version of E.T. and the box set didn't have DTS on the original theatrical version. That's the reason I go double dipping this title. Damn Universal.
One of you guys should head over to the DVDCompare forums and tell them they're wrong so others don't make the same mistake

I already have the 2-disk (Reg 4, doesn't have the original version) but nearly bought the boxset as the thought of DTS on both movies was appealing!!
Old 06-17-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you to everyone who gave detailed information regarding my question. Sorry if it got a tad heated.

"imp66"...thanks for pointing out the "left side of the screen" for me. I stand corrected. But admittedly, that wouldn't have been the first place I would have thought to look for an answer to my question.

I appreciate the answers immensely, and will be glad to return the favor in the future if I ever can.

P.S. Hey SergeantPinback.......nice head.
Old 06-17-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sorry if it got a tad heated.
No problem, you should read the sites FAQ, which is located http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/misc.php?s=&action=faq

Also I would edit your signature down a bit, keep the quote but get rid of the fact that it is in quotes. Just a suggestion, enjoy ET, it's a great set
Old 06-17-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"imp66"...thanks for pointing out the "left side of the screen" for me. I stand corrected. But admittedly, that wouldn't have been the first place I would have thought to look for an answer to my question.
izz all good, man
Old 06-17-03, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by eedoon
No need to “double-dip.” If you email Universal about the lack of a DTS track on the original E.T. in the box set, they will send you instructions to fax your receipt to them, and then send you a disc with the DTS track. Said disc is actually disc two from the 2-disc set.

Costs nothing; only the hassle of faxing Universal your receipt. Took about 5-6 weeks for me to get my DTS disc.
Old 06-18-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Commander Dan
No need to “double-dip.” If you email Universal about the lack of a DTS track on the original E.T. in the box set, they will send you instructions to fax your receipt to them, and then send you a disc with the DTS track. Said disc is actually disc two from the 2-disc set.

Costs nothing; only the hassle of faxing Universal your receipt. Took about 5-6 weeks for me to get my DTS disc.
I'm afraid I already have...
Old 06-18-03, 02:00 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got mine through this route. The only negative was that the disc was loaded with fingerprints and slight scratches that I began to think they used a toddler to package the disc.
Old 06-18-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

I had never, ever heard anything about that. Where do I email them? Was this something that people did a long time ago or recently? (I ask because the discs were limited and now seem to be gone from most stores) Thanks for the info!
Old 06-18-03, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by Decker
Where do I email them? Was this something that people did a long time ago or recently?
I don't seem to have the actual Universal email address handy, but you can try here:

http://www.universalstudios.com/home...ml/contact_us/

I received the disc only a couple of months ago, so back-up from that another month and a half and that's when I faxed in the receipt. Not sure if you would consider that "recent" or not...
Old 06-18-03, 10:15 AM

Thanks Commander Dan. Decker, I never heard about this before either and am bummed. But anyways, I just sent off an email to Universal and will let you know what happens.
Old 06-18-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
I didn't know about the free replacement disc from Universal either. Thanks for the info from this thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.