Reload this Page >

Six Feet Under - 6/1

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Six Feet Under - 6/1

Old 06-01-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Six Feet Under - 6/1

What an amazing season finale. So many loose ends got tied up. Even older storylines that I didn't think they would approach again (Claire's ex). Speaking of Claire, this was her episode. So many shining moments. Especially with the scene where she gave Ruth the earrings. Anyway, very sad and touching episode. I'm so bummed we have to wait entire year until the next season.
Old 06-01-03, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked this episode. It seemed to tie things up real well. Thank God they didn't go with the "it was all a dream" and have Nate wake up at the end.

Also the cast just keeps getting better and better. I love the addition of Justin Theroux as Brenda's neighbor. He was great in Lynch's Muholland Drive.
Old 06-01-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This episode was truly fantastic. It was really sad to see how Nate's life has plunged. That was an amazing scene when he was in the car with his father and Lisa pushing him...prodigy playing in the background. Give that man a raise, he definetly earned it.

Boat-load of Emmys would be very fitting also.

Questions to remain though...what's with Rico's new friend? How did Lisa actually die? What will happen to Nate? Is George everything he seems? David and Keith...? When does Season 4 start???
Old 06-01-03, 09:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree. To me, this show is why I have HBO now. If only they could make a few more episodes per season, but I guess that would be a greedy wish considering the possible loss of quality. I'd almost be happy with them breaking it down to a 30 minute drama if that meant double the episodes per year.

So when does season 4 start?
Old 06-01-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm....i don't know, but I thought this was pretty weak for a finale....I'm not sure what i was expecting, but this was a bit of a letdown. Just a little, well, wierd and disjointed I guess. Enough with the dad already...we get it. I found myself watching the clock and waiting for them to get to a point with something....even the Lisa revelation was anti-climactic...and they didn't even resolve much by not telling us anything about what did or didn't happen with her.

A very ok episode to cap a great season....
Old 06-01-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I love so much the scenes with Ruth and Claire.
When Claire began to cry at the wedding, I wanted to too.
What an awesome episode. Blows anyway thing in the first two seasons.

Neitzl
Old 06-01-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah damn, the season wasn't a Nate dream. Poor Nate, he's stuck with this reality. Sucks to be him.

Am I the only one that thinks Brenda looks a bit like John Cameron Mitchell (in drag) from "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"?

Finally, we get to lay Lisa to rest (about damn time!).

Ruth's quickie marriage seems rash. Claire's emotional blubbering at the ceremony was a bit strange.

Glad David and Keith are giving it another shot. They lowered their fences a bit more between them.

Brenda's world is going to be complicated with Nate back in the mix, and the new neighbor.

Claire's decision to abort her pregnancy hit home in a sudden way as Lisa told her she'd be looking out for him. Claire got to make some peace with Gabe.

Nathaniel was downright scary riding shotgun with a battered and confused Nate. Nathaniel almost curling up in the fetal position in front of Ruth is a bit indicative of how the living moving on can still inflict some pain on the dead.

Last edited by Patman; 06-01-03 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 02:24 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was a great season, but that finale was a huge letdown. Just like most episodes of Buffy this year, I enjoyed the episode while I watched it, but the more I think about it, the more I dislike it.

This whole season seemed to building up to something. It was really slow and not much happened. That pace worked for the rest of the season, but we need some closure from a finale. I didn't get any closure. This episode would've been good if we were getting another one in a week or 2, but I'm left feeling empty. I should either be feeling satisfied with somewhat of an ending to the various storylines setup this season or I should be anticipating what's going to happen next. Instead I'm somewhere inbetween.

Maybe I'm way off. Thinking about it, I guess this episode was about new beginnings. Ruth getting married, Keith and David getting back together, Rico exploring his options, Brenda and her neighbor, Nate hitting bottom so that he can now build himself back up; these all feel like the beginning of a story rather than the end. I guess that's a good way to end a season, but the lack of resolution is just accentuated by that great season premiere and the little allusions to it placed throughout the season.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what was the significance of all those references to Nate's dream? Was Claire watching the same soap that Nate was watching in one of his realities?

I think I'll like this episode in the future when I can watch it and then watch season 4 immediately afterwards.
Old 06-02-03, 02:51 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh yeah, I just thought of something else. The character who had the most resolution was Claire, but her resolution was so forced. Claire was so out of character, she wouldn't just have some fantasy and suddenly everything's ok. The thing with Gabe was especially horrible. It seemed like denial, just there to make her feel better. The denial wouldn't be out of character, but it ran opposite to the rest of the fantasy, which was all about acceptance.

Thinking Gabe, Lisa, her father, and her unborn kid were all living happily ever after seemed like the thinking of a simpleton. Not only is Claire deeper than that, she's also much darker than that.

I felt like I could see the writer writing these scenes. It was way too cheap and easy. Of course, I might sound like a hypocrite, wanting resolution, but not being happy with it when I get it.
Old 06-02-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SirPablo
How did Lisa actually die?
That's the question I had.

If it was suicide, did enough time pass given the body was in so bad a state they needed dental records to identify her?

Also, was Arthur just a bit jealous seeing Ruth dancing in the next room?

What was Claire more upset about during the wedding: Finding out Lisa is truly dead, or her baby?
Old 06-02-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In life, we rarely get closure. Events simply blur through one another. I thought this finale (and the season as a whole) was absolutly fantastic.

das
Old 06-02-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts
I think this was the best episode of the season and found it very satisfying as a season. I have to wonder what the heck went on in episode one as it was never resolved.

Also have to wonder what happened to Lisa and where Brenda and nate will go, what will happen to Ruth; is she being scammed or is it love, where Rico will go with his new friend etc etc, at least I'm not left hanging by the seat of my pants with a cliff hanger and nate careening into an oncomming car.

Of the many scenerios I imagined for the finale from Nate dying again to him waking up and a whole lot in between this was a very satisfying way for them to end the season.

Looking very much forward to next year.
Old 06-02-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by nny
Oh yeah, I just thought of something else. The character who had the most resolution was Claire, but her resolution was so forced. Claire was so out of character, she wouldn't just have some fantasy and suddenly everything's ok.
I don't think everything was ok, she complely fell apart during the wedding - I didn't interpret those were tears of joy for her mother. I read it as my mom and David are putting their lives together and mine still sucks. Could be wrong though.

Overall I thought it was a good episode. Everything wasn't tied up neatly which is how life works. The conversation betwen Keith and David was touching. I got the feeling that they are finally figuring out how to talk to each other. Poor Nate, part of me wishes this was a dream so he wouldn't be stuck with this reality. Such is life. The one part I really enjoyed which no one has mentioned yet was when Ruth saw Nate Sr. after the wedding. At first when I heard the sobbing I thought it was Arthur but it turned out to be Nate Sr. After all the talk with Claire about how great the afterlife is you saw he still cared about Ruth.

Rico, Rico, Rico. I had such high hopes for that character. Is there a single faithful character in the main cast? I think Claire's the only one left. Somehow I don't think Rico's going to see his new friend again but I don't think that will stop him from making new ones.
Old 06-02-03, 08:50 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I thought last night's finale was the best episode of the season. Every character had their moment and they all shined. Brenda's new neighbor will mix it up a bit and it should be fun seeing what happens there.

All in all, a great finale for a good season.
Old 06-02-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The best thing I can say about this series... we care so much for these people that we want them to have moments of happiness, and we share their pain when they don't.

You simply can't ask more of any TV show or movie than that...
Old 06-02-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was a most outstanding episode. I can't wait to see how things unfold next year. It was amazing to see Nate finally lose it, hopefully he can put things back together now that he knows Lisa is dead.

Brian
Old 06-02-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by lisadoris
I don't think everything was ok, she complely fell apart during the wedding - I didn't interpret those were tears of joy for her mother. I read it as my mom and David are putting their lives together and mine still sucks. Could be wrong though.
I agree. Claire was having a mini-breakdown. I also pair her sobs with those of Nate Sr. when Ruth sees him at the end.

Originally posted by LostHiWay
Also the cast just keeps getting better and better. I love the addition of Justin Theroux as Brenda's neighbor. He was great in Lynch's Muholland Drive.
...and Vaughn in "Shortcomings and Jared in "The Monogamists" on Sex and the City

All those of you who "expected more" need to realize that this show is "art imitating life". Life does not wrap itself up with clear resolutions all at once. We may never learn what happened to Lisa. We won't learn what happened to Gabe. There ISN'T any build up to a big season finale like say on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Life is life and it happens at its own pace.

This episode was brilliant as was the entire season. It just gets better and better. Can't wait until next March!
Old 06-02-03, 10:31 AM

I think it was the best episode yet.

Loved the scene in the car with Nate (drama) and the scene in the car with Rico (comedy).

Claire finally lost it. I don't think she has grieved yet for the lose of her unborn child and it all poured out while watching a happy moment for her mother and holding her niece.

Looks like Nate finally hit rock bottom. Great makeup job. He looked like he was dead on his feet.

Arthur and the gift. The whole time I was doing my Brad Pitt impression....."What's in the box?! What's in the box?!"

Can't wait until next season. Sounds like I am going to have to get Showtime to see this new Out of Order show to reunite will all my Sportsnight friends.
Old 06-02-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts
Out of curuisity did anyone else think Rico was unknowingly going on a 'date' with the guy from the dancing class..

my first thought was poor rico...

Peter Krause totally deserves an award for the work he's done this season. Before the episode started I was half hoping he'd be killed in the bar fight to comeback in a better reality. His character hit bottom hard in a completely beleivable way. By the time the episode ended I thought he'd be dead. But the unspoken depth of his realtionship with Brenda when he knocks on the door had ten times the impact of anything anyone could have said.

And for those that thought the cemetary scene was too happy, I think Claire was mortified to see her baby there with Lisa. I'd be interested to know if they cut a scene there, the transition to the next scene walking with her dad was very abrubt.

I also find I enjoy episodes with Nate Sr. a good sign they haven't overused him in the show.
Old 06-02-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jpcamb
Out of curuisity did anyone else think Rico was unknowingly going on a 'date' with the guy from the dancing class..
My wife and I thought the same thing.

Everyone is discussing the ending, but I really enjoyed the chain reaction opening death sequence. We live near O'Hare airport and everytime we're outside and a plane flies overhead, I say, "Watch out for blue ice!". No one ever knows what the hell I'm talking about. I was happy to have some support for my paranoia.

And a note to a few of the posters here. The ghostly visitation scenes (Nate Sr., Lisa, etc.) are not supposed to indicate what is actually happening to the dead people, rather it is a glimpse into the mind of the character who is imagining it. Hence, Claire sees the father at an eternal party, and Ruth sees him curled up in the corner weeping. It's how the living character is imagining the dead spirit to be reacting, not how they actually are. Heck, Gabe isn't even necessarily dead. Claire just imagines that he is, based on the road he was headed down (or was that established in some previous episode)?
Old 06-02-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
But, you have to wonder with Nate's brain surgery, things about the funeral home biz were placed on the backburner, and the focus was about Nate's choices (the baby bomb from Lisa is the life-changer), which did totally exploded in this finale when Nate tries to blame his predicament on Ruth asking him to stay with the family business in light of Nathaniel's sudden death. Nate went from free and breezy to shackled by family in a more intimante/personal way that leaves him very little in options IF he desires to do the right thing.

Nate struggles for an entire year, even with the new lease on life with "successful" brain surgery, with doing the right thing w/r/t Lisa and his child. And like many people who are simply human, and not totally capable with handling these new life developments, he makes mistakes, a lot of them. And just when he sort of make peace with himself and his predicament, life winds up and thrown him yet another curveball. Nate's a flawed human being. He's both likable and loathable.

I don't mind the focus of the deaths this season having just tangential impact to the Fishers. Otherwise, the show gets into a more predictable rut, mining the same area over and over again. This is not to say that the 3rd season didn't bring the viewer many more soap opera elements into the mix, but it never gives into easy solutions without showing us the repurcussions of those choices.
Old 06-02-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoyed the episode. Although I spent the first 45 minutes wondering where Authur was. I am learning to appreciate Brenda more, I don't see her as the psycho nut-case I remember from last season.

I do not want to wait another 9 months for the next season though.

My only question really from last night was, if you were Clair and you saw Lisa, would you try to explain what you saw to anybody, or figure it was crazy and nobody would understand/belive you?
Old 06-02-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jpcamb
i did! thought it would be pretty funny....

brilliant episode! i have to disagree with a lot of you, i felt very satisfied with this ep. (or was it the bottle of wine???? hmm).

claire was at her best, the fight between nate and ruth was great, but pretty much everyone was fabulous! i'm glad nate finally hit bottom and received confirmation of lisa's death, his storyline was getting way too depressing. i'm curious what will happen between him and brenda later. i don't think we've seen the last of lisa though. rico's high and mighty attitude is finally slipping, thank god, now we can see he is only human as well! i'm still very skeptical of ruth's new hubby, she's #7 for him and i'm just really hoping he's a good thing for her. (i sound like it's my mom!). was pleasantly surprised to see gabe.

i was only left wondering what happened to russell...wasn't he billed as a cast "member" this season and not just a guest or something?

SFU should rack up come award season. i'll be looking for claire, nate and ruth's name for individual awards (well, you know what i mean).

Last edited by hgar78; 06-02-03 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 01:54 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
In life, we rarely get closure. Events simply blur through one another.

das
I was thinking the same thing while I was writing my post, but I expect somewhat of an ending. The finale felt like just another episode to me. This would be fine if we didn't have to wait a year for the next episode (Peter Krause said the next season will probably start next June).

I felt like there was so much to wrap up this season that I didn't understand why they'd introduce a new character in the finale (Brenda's neighbor). Also, why would they introduce a character (George) a few episodes ago, barely develop him and then have him become a major part of the cast in the finale.

It felt like they were just setting up next season. Like maybe next season will start 6 months later like this one did and there will be all these changes sparked by this episode. It's a nice idea, but it just feels like they abruptly stopped caring about what happened this past season in favor of sowing seeds for the future.

Last edited by nny; 06-02-03 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 04:05 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
My biggest gripe with last night's episode is that we do not find out how Lisa died. Her missing was the main plot point of the final 5 episodes and we don't even find out what happened to her?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.