TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The "Buffy is Ending Denial Thread & Support Group."

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "Buffy is Ending Denial Thread & Support Group."

HI BTVS fans,

My wife and I can't believe it, so much so, that we are in a huge state of denial that the Tuesday is the, *gulp*, last episode . For a nostalgic goodbye, we are going to watch the first episode tomorrow night right before the final one.

How is everyone else dealing with this? I have to admit that when my wife first watched Buffy, I wouldn't even give it a chance - I don't really like "horror" or "Sci-Fi", or however you want to describe the show. But finally, I gave it chance somewhere in season 3, I pretended I wasn't watching, but I kept asking questions about the characters - then , I became hooked.

Goodbye Buffy, and thanks Joss for the great television. It's had it's ups and downs, but it has always been entertaining and addicting. Probably one of the only shows that, more often that not, left me waiting in anticipation for the next episode. Now, that feeling of anticipation will be gone .

Doug H

Last edited by Doug Heffernan; 05-19-03 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-19-03, 08:26 AM

I was going to start this thread!!! I was fine with it ending until today. Now I'm getting a little sad. I haven't read any spoilers or watched the "next episode" clips, so I really don't know what's going to happen.

If Buffy dies (again), I'll be sad Wednesday.
Old 05-19-03, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sad that its ending, but I'm glad its had seven seasons of shows. Not every good series gets that many.

I haven't read any spoilers, but I don't think Buffy will die at the end. That card has been played already.
Old 05-19-03, 08:48 AM

Farscape and Buffy ending in the same year is too much! TV will never be the same again.
Old 05-19-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Love the show, and will miss it dearly.
However, I think it's best to end it.

7 seasons is a looooong time in TVland, and I'd rather see it wrap up now before it turns into another Mulder and Scully-less X-Files.....
Old 05-19-03, 10:05 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I love BtVS, but I've seen lots of TV shows come and go, so I'm OK with it. I would much rather Buffy go out now, than drag on years too long (like The X-Files), or get cancelled before its time (like Twin Peaks).
Old 05-19-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
What 12thmonkey said. I have see most of the episodes and all of the ones from the past two seasons. Season three stands out as the best of all seven IMO.
I feel sad that it is going, but would be even more saddened if it went out with a whimper as a show that had become a mockery of itself from overstaying its visit.
I seem to notice that a lot of people were casual fans at first that became addicted with time. Is there anyone here who can honestly say they've been watching since the series premiere? I remember seeing a little bit of its premiere and not thinking it would last. How wrong I was!
Oh well, at least Angel will still be around after this year, so the Buffyverse won't completely vanish.
Old 05-19-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Is there anyone here who can honestly say they've been watching since the series premiere?
Old 05-19-03, 10:12 AM

I'm not dealing with this well at all. I try not to think about it, but the countdown promos that UPN has been running over the past several episodes ("Only 3 episodes left... Only 2 episodes left... Only 1 episode...") always hit me like a ton of bricks. I fully expect to be devasted once the final episode airs.

Buffy has been so much more than just another show on TV. It has been a part of my life for 7 years. I've met people and forged some really good friendships over our shared love for this show, its stories, and its characters. It's like Buffy, Xander, Willow, Giles, et. al., have become members of our extended family. We've shared their ups & downs, their humor & despair, their triumphs, and their losses (Jenny, Joyce, Tara).

Things really won't be the same without Buffy around. Although I enjoy Angel and am glad it's coming back, I've never related to it the way I do to Buffy.

Thank you, Joss -- and everyone involved -- for the past 7 years.

She Saved the World. A Lot.

Last edited by Skorp; 05-19-03 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-19-03, 10:20 AM

Is there anyone here who can honestly say they've been watching since the series premiere?
Not me. I watched the first episode and hated it. I didn't start watching again until season 4, and have since caught up with the backstory through reruns. Although I am as devoted to the series as just about anyone, I think I'm a fairly atypical Buffy fan. I hate the first season, and strongly dislike seasons 2 and 3. I don't think the show was consistently good at all until season 4 (the one everyone seems to hate). I couldn't stand the high school milieu, and my two least favorite characters from the shows entire run are Cordelia and Angel. I also don't like Faith much at all. The other atypical thing about my fandom is that I think season 6 is by far the best season, and one of the best seasons of any show, ever. I don't care if SMG thought it was too dark, or if other fans didn't like it, I thought it was great.
Old 05-19-03, 10:31 AM

I can. Although I had never seen the movie, I was a big horror fan and had really liked Sarah Michelle Gellar from her All My Children days, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I became an instant fan.

I also had the foresight to tape the premiere (as I have every episode since). That tape easily became the most-watched, most-loaned tape in my collection, as I introduced more & more people to the glories of Buffy.
Old 05-19-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't start to watch it until probably the 6th season, but that was because it wasn't available on any of my cable channels until then. I watched Season One on DVD, then I caught up with the rest of the seasons via syndication on the Space Network, where they ran it all the way up until the end of Season Six. Picked up Season Seven at the beginning. So basically I watched the full seven seasons of Buffy in less than two years.
Old 05-19-03, 11:21 AM
Banned

That's my one claim-to-fame. I've seen every single episode when it originally aired (thanks TiVo) and even the "failed" pilot. That thing was bad.
Old 05-19-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here.

I've been watching every week ever since the pilot seven seasons ago. (same deal with Angel).

I've loved this show since day one, but also thought it wouldn't last.
Old 05-19-03, 11:53 AM
Banned

I can't really say whether I "thought it would last", but I've always hoped. I've also always had off from my jobs tuesday nights, and the only time I wasn't able to watch it live was last year when I had to take a night class on tuesdays. But I watched it immediately when I got home.
Old 05-19-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a little confused by the point of this whole thread. Buffy is not going to be ending on Tuesday. The show will be back on UPN for it's 8th season next year, and will continue to showcase the excellent talents of Sarah Michelle Gellar for years to come. There will be all new episodes, new plotlines, etc., for us to enjoy year after year after year.

Also, not sure what the reference to Farscape was about... there will be lots of new episodes of that, too, right? I mean, it's a great show and they'd be crazy to cancel it. Right?

Right? OK then.
Old 05-19-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by ncmojo
I am a little confused by the point of this whole thread. Buffy is not going to be ending on Tuesday. The show will be back on UPN for it's 8th season next year, and will continue to showcase the excellent talents of Sarah Michelle Gellar for years to come. There will be all new episodes, new plotlines, etc., for us to enjoy year after year after year.

Also, not sure what the reference to Farscape was about... there will be lots of new episodes of that, too, right? I mean, it's a great show and they'd be crazy to cancel it. Right?

Right? OK then.

Old 05-19-03, 12:14 PM
Banned

Right? OK then.

Old 05-19-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right? OK then.
I guess I'm the only one who gets this.

He's in DENIAL........
Old 05-19-03, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Chew

He's in DENIAL........
No, I got it, too, but I was away at lunch during the last half of this thread.

To keep this kind of on-topic, I just got invited to a final episode party. My first since the final episode of M*A*S*H.
Old 05-19-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Chew

He's in DENIAL........
I get it too!
Old 05-19-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is tough to deal with... Next week I am starting over from Season 1 on DVD, reruns is the only way I will be able to survive.
Old 05-19-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Anger: It's SMG's fault. The brat thinks she can make it big in the movies. Hah. Good luck with Scooby 2.

Denial: "Buffy is not going to be ending on Tuesday. The show will be back on UPN for it's 8th season next year, and will continue to showcase the excellent talents of Sarah Michelle Gellar for years to come."

Bargaining: Maybe if we all run out and buy the DVDs they'll make a string of theatrical movies. They'll "be right back after a short break" if we beg them enough. After all, they want to make money, right?

Acceptance: Seven years sure goes by quickly. At least it had a decent run. Good show.
Old 05-19-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm probably the "newest" Buffy fan here, having only started watching this past Christmas (when I got S1 and 2 on DVD). In a way, I'm glad I didn't start watching until then since I was able to watch episode after episode without having to wait through the summers and such. On the other hand, I didn't find the greatness that is the Buffyverse until now. I had seen the movie in theaters and actually liked it, but never gave the show a chance. It was actually the X-Box game that drove me to try it out, and that led to me becoming an addict. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go sob uncontrollably for a good long while.
Old 05-19-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Good riddance.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but I'd rather see it go away now than just keep going and going like "X-Files" or "Frasier," outstaying its welcome.

Frankly, from all indications, combat fatigue was starting to set in around seasons six and seven. The writing on the wall is best read and heeded, for if it is ignored, you start to make a fool out of yourself. (*cough*X-Files*cough)

The same could be said of "Seinfeld." The show peaked creatively, coasted on a plateau for a while, started slipping a bit, and was ended. Buffy took the same road.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-19-03 at 02:29 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.