Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

If I like Nick Hornby.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
If I like Nick Hornby.......

I'm a huge Nick Horby fan. I read and loved "High Fidelity" when it first came out (and was extremely disappointed with the movie adaptation). Also loved "About a Boy" (both the book and movie). And I'm now reading "How to be Good" (which I think is equally good as everything he's done). For anyone who has read Hornby's work, can you recommend other authors that are similar in style? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, before anyone suggests, I have ordered a few other books either by Hornby or where he contributed ("Fever Pitch", "31 Songs" and "Big Night Out").
Old 04-20-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have enjoyed Michael Chabon's novels, and found them similar in style to Hornby's works. The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Wonder Boys--I'd try one of these titles out first and if you enjoy it then you could try Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-03, 06:59 PM
Cool New Member

Nick Hornby has a colletion of short stories he edited, and also contributed on it's called: Speaking With The Angel. I also just picked up Nick Hornby / Songbook in which he breaks down a bunch of songs that were infulentuial in his life, (he's also a music reviewer for I think the Sunday Times, I think.)
Old 04-21-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jaimeson
Nick Hornby has a colletion of short stories he edited, and also contributed on it's called: Speaking With The Angel. I also just picked up Nick Hornby / Songbook in which he breaks down a bunch of songs that were infulentuial in his life, (he's also a music reviewer for I think the Sunday Times, I think.)

Thanks Jaimeson. I did see "Speaking With the Angel" on Amazon.co.uk (which is where I ordered his other books), but wasn't sure about that one. I didn't know until now that he contributed anything. Only thought he edited the book. And is "Songbook" the same as "31 Songs"? Because I didn't see that title anywhere on the books available by Hornby. Thanks again.
Old 04-21-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 390 Likes on 279 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Martyn Bedford's "Houdini Girl" was a very good book by another British Author. He struck me as somewhat similar to Nick Hornby. He has a few other books which are out of print and a new one that's only in hardcover at the moment.
Old 04-21-03, 09:47 PM
Cool New Member

Here are some Amazon.com links for you on the songbook:

UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...415924-2243063

USA

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...149120-7244065

Mr. Hornby's short in Speaking With The Angel is: NippleJesus. SWTA itself is a good collection of shorts by people like: Zadie Smith, Colin Firth, and Dave Eggers to name a few. I strongly suggest picking it up.

Jaimeson

p.s. The songbook comes with a CD, so it's pretty cool.
Old 04-22-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try Douglas Coupland
Old 04-22-03, 10:42 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
Try Douglas Coupland
I've heard that, also and found a page or two that might be of interest in that regard.

Elsewhere, for "Fever Pitch" fans, I read that Bill Buford's "Among the Thugs" is another worthwhile football book.

In a web-chat Hornby himself wrote concerning his influences and likes:
Certainly in the UK, following on from Hornby's "lad's" fiction came <A HREF="http://www.altx.com/ebr/ebr3/diane.htm" target=Blank">Chick Lit; most famously I think "Bridget Jones' Diary". It may not be your thing but here is a mixed list I found somewhere that tellingly includes Hornby's "About a Boy" and John O'Farrell's "The Best a Man Can Get":

Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank
Cupid and Diana by Christina Bartolomew
Girls Poker Night by Jill Davis
Bookends by Jane Green
About a Boy by Nick Hornby
Thirtynothing: A Novel by Lisa Jewell
Angels by Marian Keyes
Do Try to Speak as We Do: The Diary of an American Au Pair by Marjorie Leet Ford
April Rising: A Novel by Corene Lemaitre
Never Mind, Nirvana by Mark Lindquist
Spin Cycle by Sue Margolis
Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend by Lynda Markham
It's My F....ing Birthday by Merrill Markoe
The Best a Man Can Get by John O'Farrell
Jackie by Josie by Caroline Preston
Her by Laura Zigman

Perhaps there is something of interest to be found above!
Old 04-22-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Lorrie Moore is just great, she hasn't done much lately I liked but her first three short story collections are tops in my book, I'd never thought of comapring her with Hornby but they do kind of come from that same viewpoint at life, with a lot of humor and introspection.
Old 04-30-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately Douglas Coupland.

Try 'Girlfriend in a Coma,' 'All Families are Psychotic,' and practically any book he's written.
Old 04-30-03, 11:50 PM

If you like Hornby, try Tony Parsons' Man and Boy and Man and Wife. He writes very very real characters and both are a great read.