Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kairo and Uzumaki(Region 0 dvds)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-07-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering about the dvd releases of these two flicks. I've seen a couple region 0 copies of these and were wondering if they were actual releases of these(or official or whatever the word is that i'm searching for). I know there were quite a few region 0 copies of the Ring films floating around(before dreamworks released it) and I read on here that there was no NTSC region 0 released, and that those that are out there are boots. I'm not new to this board or anything but i am new to purchasing foreign titles over the internet. The only one i own is the Ring O, which if i'm not mistaken is a bootleg, i think. Which i did not know when i purchased it, so that is why i'm asking the question now. Please excuse any ingnorance from this post.
Old 04-07-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the copies of those 2 films that I have are Region 3 discs, sometimes alot of Official Region 3 discs are in fact Region-less and will play in any player but they are labelled Region 3 and these 2 are real Region 3 discs so anything labelled otherwise are probably bootlegs.
Old 04-07-03, 03:17 PM

Not sure about UZUMAKI, but any Region 0 release of KAIRO is a bootleg. There is a R2 NTSC disc from Japan and R3 NTSC disc from HK. The far cheaper R3 disc is the better option, unless you really want the untranslated extras on the Japanese disc. You can get the HK disc for around $6 online.

As for UZUMAKI, there is a U.S. release coming from Viz Entertainment sometime this year, and they're promising many extras, so I wouldn't bother with bootlegs at this point.
Old 04-09-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank you very much for the info.
Old 05-06-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sartana: Thanks for the advice about the Cyberhome.

Regarding "Uzumaki," I searched for info about the region 1 release from Viz Entertainment, but couldn't find anything. Can you (or anyone) confirm this? Any other specifics (release date, features, etc.)? Is there a website for Viz that lists it? Anything else?

Thanks.
Old 05-06-03, 03:18 PM

I don't think there's been any official word, but here are two posts at Mobius Home Video Forum with some info. The first is from someone who e-mailed Viz in 2002 and was told that Uzumaki was on the way, and the second is an 2/03 update from someone who worked for Viz saying that their live action Japanese acquisitions had now shifted over to Kino:

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/asian/post...108228415.html

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/asian/post...108237988.html

Last edited by Sartana; 05-06-03 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-06-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks again, Sartana. Nothing confirmed, but at least there's some info.

I hate to say it, but I'm kind of debating obtaining it and a couple of others (region 0) from eBay. I don't normally condone them, but the way I see it, if I'm buying from private sellers who are basically selling off their old ones, it's not that bad.
Old 05-07-03, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by DVDude!
I hate to say it, but I'm kind of debating obtaining it and a couple of others (region 0) from eBay. I don't normally condone them, but the way I see it, if I'm buying from private sellers who are basically selling off their old ones, it's not that bad.
Just keep in mind that bootleg quality is spotty at best. Somebody in the Battle Royale thread was just pointing out how their bootleg R0 dropped subtitles for stretches. Those private sellers may just be trying to fob off bad discs. Bootlegs aren't exactly known for their good quality.
Old 05-07-03, 06:45 AM

I don't think a legit region 0 Uzumaki exists. Just get the legit one for $5 from dddhouse.com. You need a region free player, of course, since it's a true region 3.
Old 05-07-03, 10:51 AM

We have STUNNING anamorphic releases of UZAMAKI and THE RING here in Korea...Not sure if they are region 0 or region 3 bu the quality is VERY good...plus some extras....

unfortunately NO english subs though!!

There was a few boots on EBAY (esp RING) that were taken from these anamorphic DVDs and added FANSUBS......
Old 05-07-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A quick search resulted in the following website:

http://www.jpopcinema.com/uzumaki/index.html

With the information at the bottom of the page:

2000/ 35mm/ Color/ 90 mins/ Optical Sound DTS stereo
website © 2002 Viz Communications, Inc.

So it looks like it will be a Viz release sometime after the theatrical schedule, which goes until October.

Jeremy
Old 05-07-03, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by jrutz
A quick search resulted in the following website:

http://www.jpopcinema.com/uzumaki/index.html

With the information at the bottom of the page:

2000/ 35mm/ Color/ 90 mins/ Optical Sound DTS stereo
website © 2002 Viz Communications, Inc.

So it looks like it will be a Viz release sometime after the theatrical schedule, which goes until October.
I guess you didn't read the links in my post above. The DVD rights to Viz's live-action Japanese films went to Kino.
Old 05-07-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Sartana
I guess you didn't read the links in my post above. The DVD rights to Viz's live-action Japanese films went to Kino.
Which to me is the best news. Kino will do a better job than Viz if/when it is eventually released.
Old 05-07-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sartana
Yeah I saw it, I was just speculating on a release date - hence the comment on the release schedule. Didn't read that in your post.

Didn't see anything in your post about the official web site by Viz, either...any new info is good info!

Jeremy

Last edited by jrutz; 05-07-03 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by jrutz
Yeah I saw it, I was just speculating on a release date - hence the comment on the release schedule. Didn't read that in your post.

Didn't see anything in your post about the official web site by Viz, either...any new info is good info!
Correct info is good info. I was merely correcting your statement that the DVD would be a Viz release. No need to get defensive about it.
Old 05-10-03, 03:11 PM

There is a Hong Hong (Universe Laser) R3 release of Uzumaki and it looks quite good. HKFlix has it for 13 bucks. I'm sure that pokerindustries.com has it as well.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Last edited by Nocturnaloner; 05-10-03 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-10-03, 03:55 PM

Yes, and as Brombie posted slightly up in this thread, the Universe is 5$ at DDDhouse and R3.
Old 05-13-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nobody has mentioned this here (i think) but there is also a R2 (UK) version of this available. Just came out March 24th :

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000077755

Don't know how the quality is, but I will be ordering it since I am gettng a large shipment of R2s coming soon. I will let you know.