Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

White Stripes : Elephant

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-01-03, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone pick it up today ?
I am really happy with this CD.
When i first heard track # 3 (Theres no home for you here) I was like "Hell YES !" I know that this disc will be in my CD player non stop for a long time.
I was also happy about Holly Golightly's guest vocals on the last track.Ive been a Holly fan for a while now.I think she's sexy as hell.
If you havent heard her she's worth a listen.
Please let me know your thoughts about ELEPHANT
Old 04-01-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been listening to it for a few weeks off and on, and I think it's great.

I can't wait for their tour ... hopefully they'll swing by Chicago.
Old 04-01-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
Rolling Stone gave this album a 5-star review, which is usually reserved for classic albmus that have had time to establish themselves - a new album recieving a 5-star review is unheard of.
Old 04-01-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just picked it up, and I'm listening to it for the first time right now. It's definitely a good album, but I'll have to give it a closer listen before I decide just how good.

Bonus points for the spoken word intro on "Little Acorns" by Mort Crim, a local Detroit newscaster/drunk. (Not to be confused Bill Bonds....another local Detroit newscaster/drunk).

jim
Old 04-01-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by slop101
Rolling Stone gave this album a 5-star review, which is usually reserved for classic albmus that have had time to establish themselves - a new album recieving a 5-star review is unheard of.
I have little doubt that the album is at least decent, but given RS's track record recently, a 5-star review by them is faint praise.
Old 04-01-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
I have little doubt that the album is at least decent, but given RS's track record recently, a 5-star review by them is faint praise.
Oh trust me, it's definitely a 5-star album. De Stijl was my favorite album of all-time until yesterday.
Old 04-01-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bought it today, good stuff.
Old 04-01-03, 10:34 PM
Banned

Great stuff.
Second best album I've heard this year behind the new Radiohead (and I only heard the unmastered version, lol).
Old 04-01-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like this album as well.

I like it better thenthe last one.
Old 04-02-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very good album.
Old 04-02-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gamblor187
Bonus points for the spoken word intro on "Little Acorns" by Mort Crim, a local Detroit newscaster/drunk. (Not to be confused Bill Bonds....another local Detroit newscaster/drunk).

jim
I didn't know Mort Crim was a drunk? I knew about Bill Bonds, but not Mort! Where did you get your info?
Old 04-02-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Pretty decent, but I think White Blood Cells has better, more diverse material.
Old 04-02-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by apeoples
I didn't know Mort Crim was a drunk? I knew about Bill Bonds, but not Mort! Where did you get your info?
My father used to drive a truck for the Free Press. He delivered bundles of papers to news stands, stores, and those newpaper vending machine thingies. One of his stops was just outside a bar, where a drunken Mort Crim would often step outside for some fresh air and the morning newspaper. My father said that he was always very pleasant, but almost as always quite drunk.

(Besides, doesn't Mort's little speech used in the song "Little Acorns" sound like the ramblings of a drunk....or perhaps a drug addict?)

Mort, together with Bill Bonds and Ray Lane, forms the holy trinity of drunk Detroit-area newscasters. Of course, I have no real proof about Ray Lane, but his speech (along with the way he chugged a bottle of champagne on air after the Wings first Stanley Cup in decades) give me the feeling that the man drinks like Peter O'Toole on his birthday.

jim
Old 04-02-03, 06:51 PM

Forget the next nine months...this has already got my vote for album of the year.
Old 04-03-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Ack, still waiting for mine to ship from Amazon with the new Lucinda Williams CD coming next week.... must... have.... patience.....
Old 04-03-03, 12:44 PM

I think this fits the topic:

From the White Stripes site:

Be ready to be up late four nights in a row. It is confirmed, the White Stripes will be playing on Late Night with Conan O'Brien April 22 - 25. They will be performing a different song each night. Keep in mind Comedy Central airs the previous nights episode of Conan the following day. Check your local listings for air times.
Old 04-03-03, 08:26 PM

I think the album is alright...couple of good songs here and there. But, sometimes some songs sound like reworked or recycled versions of songs from White Blood Cells (most notably, the chord progression in "There's No Home for You Here" is almost identical to "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground"). Although, the last three tracks are among their best songs.

I wouldn't say it's a five-star album, but it is pretty good, and it's a rockin' piece of work...but De Stijl still stands as my personal favorite White Stripes record.
Old 04-03-03, 10:23 PM

i also agree that a few of the songs sound oddly like dead leaves on the dirty ground. great cd though! i love the first track. the last cd i thought was all around a better cd, but there are some great songs on the new one. five star in my book!
Old 04-04-03, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by Gamblor187
My father used to drive a truck for the Free Press. He delivered bundles of papers to news stands, stores, and those newpaper vending machine thingies. One of his stops was just outside a bar, where a drunken Mort Crim would often step outside for some fresh air and the morning newspaper. My father said that he was always very pleasant, but almost as always quite drunk.

(Besides, doesn't Mort's little speech used in the song "Little Acorns" sound like the ramblings of a drunk....or perhaps a drug addict?)

Mort, together with Bill Bonds and Ray Lane, forms the holy trinity of drunk Detroit-area newscasters. Of course, I have no real proof about Ray Lane, but his speech (along with the way he chugged a bottle of champagne on air after the Wings first Stanley Cup in decades) give me the feeling that the man drinks like Peter O'Toole on his birthday.

jim
Old 04-04-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I think it's a great album, but their debut is still my favorite. There was something so raw and powerful about that first White Stripes disc that's missing on their last three. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em all, but if I can only choose one, I go with White Stripes.
Old 04-04-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard most of the songs online before the album was released and I would have to say that while it is better than White Blood Cells, it is not at the same level as De Stijl. To me, De Stijl will always be the perfect White Stripes album. Something about it throws me back, but leaves me with a modern sound.
Old 04-05-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After listening to it for the better part of this week nonstop, I sincerely believe that Elephant will go down in history as one of the best albums of all time. I don't think it's hyperbole to say so. I never buy CDs, but after "hearing" this one, I ran to the nearest store. This is the type of album that restores faith in rock.

I also think that, while the White Stripes have never made anything that could be remotely considered bad, this is clearly their best album. That blistering sustained feedback burst at the end of "There's no Home for You Here" with the chorus in the background just nailed me when I first heard it. Jesus ****ing Christ, that's the best thing on record since Iggy Pop's howl at the beginning of "TV Eye".
Old 04-07-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

never been sure whether or not the stripes were the thing for me or not. well, this album changes it all. this is more rock & roll than "garage rock revival" with hints of the stones, etc. this is one phenominal album.

anyone who may have lost faith in the genre may now have reason to rejoice.
Old 04-07-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait to pick this up. A friend of mine got me into the White Stripes, even though it is not the type of music that I typically listen to. But good music is good music!
Old 04-07-03, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and for Mort Crim, I used to watch him and Billy Bonds when we got Detroit stations. It sort of surprises me that he was a drunk. Are they both still on the air?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.