Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Happy Birthday To Me..uncut!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-03-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just won a auction on ebay of the uncut version.+ the good news is,it's the real deal from the reports on various forums.

The copy is said to have fair quality picture(nothing great of course) & foreign subtitles.Not sure if it's a Japanese release or what.Yet it's uncut,which is what matters most.

It will be great to see this cheesy slasher film with the gore intact finally.The R rated version has some obvious jump cuts in many of the kill scenes.

Since it's a Columbia release.That would kill any chance of it being restored if it ever makes it to dvd right? I mean they seem to disrespect there more obscure back titles by tossing them onto dvd with Pan & Scan transfers with no remastering done to the prints!

Maybe AnchorBay or Blue Underground or someone could get ahold of it & give it the respect it deserves with a nice remasterd uncut print.
Old 02-03-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Julie.....very cool.

I love the beginning with the white trash mother being obsessed with little Melissa Sue attending a birthday party that she was not invited to.
Old 02-03-03, 09:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
let us know after seeing it what the source of this print is.
Old 02-05-03, 07:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
!... and...?! The suspense is killing me.
Old 02-05-03, 07:57 PM

I sent my payment in yesturday & should get the video within a couple weeks.I'll post once i view it.
Old 02-06-03, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to hearing how it is. I would love to see this movie hit DVD. I'll never forget seeing this movie in the theater with my older brother. I was scared sheetless.
Old 02-18-03, 11:23 PM

Ok i just recieved the video today & heres a run down of the uncut stuff....

open throat slit....you see the blade slice across her throat quickly which then has her head bob back with the wound gaping open(much more than the R version) as a bit of blood flows out.It's really quick though.

dirt bike death...all in one shot with no choppy edits,you see the guys face pulled into the spokes,grind a couple brief frames,then it cuts to the grue covering the whole screen as in the R version. All is all not a major cut & not as gruesome as it could've been.

weights death...you see the impact which causes a good amount of blood to go flying & splatter on the weights!

shiskabob...about 2 seconds or so longer with a more graphic impact shot from the front.

brain surgery sequence may have been more graphic(though not certain) with more footage of them drilling into her skull..very painful!

Glenn Ford being killed with a fire poker shows him get wacked two times with blood splattering all over the room.This is the worst edit in the R version which cuts out both wacks!

Virginia's dad getting his throat slit is onscreen showing the knife slice clean across,a decent sized wound with blood pouring out before he falls over on the table.

Thats about all i noticed. The quality was horrible though.So bad that i fast forward through much of the film since i have the flur & just did't feel like watching a film with such abysmal picture quality. The picture was dark & very blocky.Basically like how copying a legit copy protected vhs with crappy equiptment appears like. OH & there were subtitles as well.Maybe German is my guess,but can't tell for sure.They weren't intrusive though since they were small & in the lower left hand corner of the screen.

Anyway if someone could make a profensionally done composite print useing the R version with the uncut footage sliced in.That would be awsome.

Of course if the slicing is so horribly done.Then it's pointless. Such as composite print of The Burning i got a few years ago.Horrble quality,the uncut footage looked even worse(orange yellowish picture!) & it wasn't fully uncut to boot!!

Oh & can someone please explain to me the twist ending? Who exactly is the killer & why??
Old 12-07-10, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Happy Birthday To Me..uncut!!!

*sigh* Still waiting for this release in all it's unedited, R-rated theatrical release glory.
I'm still puzzled why Columbia only has the "softer" R-rated version out. Such a confusing story to all this.
Old 05-29-13, 10:57 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry to bump up an old thread. It seems the OP (Julie) is still active in the forum, so maybe she can answer a question of mine. She mentioned in her post that the uncut VHS had lousy picture quality. My question to her is did it look like the picture was shot with a camcorder in a theater by a bootlegger? My feeling is as long as Columbia owns this movie, we will never see the uncut footage in any official home video releases. The only way we could've seen it would be from bootlegged video of theatrical footage.
Old 05-31-13, 02:58 PM

I don't think it was shot on a camcorder. The picture wasn't badly framed or anything like most cam bootlegs are. It was probably copied from some foreign vhs release of the film, but I don't know for sure. I just remember the picture quality was abysmal, and so I threw out the tape not long after watching it, or I re-sold it on Ebay. It's been so long, I can't recall exactly, but I've never run across this version since. But now I wish I would have kept it just as a reference point to see whether material was really added, even if brief, or if I was mistaken.

I'm really confused today, since at least in Glen Fords death scene. I recall it being badly cut on the Columbia vhs with an obvious jump cut, that immediately cuts to the aftermath, but misses out on the actual death. Meanwhile a cable airing I've seen recently of the film had no jump cut in the scene and him being hit twice, but it wasn't too bloody or anything. I do have the Mill Creek dvd release, but haven't watched the film yet. So I'll see how the scene is edited there.
Old 05-31-13, 07:23 PM
Cool New Member

Hi Julie, thanks for helping out. I want to see how much chance I have in seeing the uncut footage. I recently saw both the 1986 RCA/Columbia VHS tape and the 2013 Mill Creek Blu-ray and the scene looks the same on both editions: two hits to his head, and a cut to the aftermath, similar to what you described. So maybe you saw the same thing all along. I posted a video comparison on youtube, but I can't post the link here due to my post count. Go to YOUTU dot BE slash _eq6tQJ97iU and you will see it.

If it wasn't a camcorder bootleg you saw, then maybe there was once a legit foreign uncut VHS edition, and what you got was a dupe (or multiple dupes) of the original tape, hence the inferior picture quality.

What cable channel did you see the movie recently on? All the standard cable channels I get pretty much show only sanitized versions of R-rated movies. So I would think that you would see less, not more gore.
Old 06-01-13, 02:24 PM

You're welcome.

I'm beginning to think the tape wasn't uncut(even if slightly) based on what I've seen in the regular release version in better quality in the years since I saw the tape. At the time, I was naive, fairly new to the net and assumed based on all the feedback online that it was uncut, so I took a chance. But then some people have sold Japanese Friday the 13th part 2 and My Bloody Valentine laserdiscs claiming to be uncut, but they are not. So more than likely, the seller was just claiming it was 'uncut' since it was a foreign release with subtitles. Ebay seems to have cracked down on bootleg tapes though, since I rarely see workprints and what not show up on the site anymore. Of course some boots slip through the cracks I'm sure.

It's aired on the Encore networks in the past from what I recall, so I had to have seen it there. I don't know of any other stations airing it.

Also another confusing thing about the films censorship history is, some fans claim the theatrical release was more graphic than the vhs release. But I find that hard to believe. Others even claim early HBO showings were 'uncut' compared to the vhs release, but again I doubt that's true. Some even claim the UK theatrical or earliest vhs release was more explicit than the U.S. releases, and have since been replaced with the standard R version. But again, they have no proof to back up their claims. So I find it unlikely such a print exists and they're just spreading rumors. But this is also why I was confused and assumed the tape was 'uncut' based on my memory of the rental tape seeming quite chopped up in spots, but I may be misremembering it. Though the only way to know for sure is to find that elusive tape. But at this point, I've given up and will just be content with the theatrical version, unless we're surprised with the footage being discovered in the future.

Here is the great trailer for the film. I miss these types of trailers that really put more effort into selling the film(love the voice over) than today's generic trailers. Even if a film wasn't great, at least some exploitation marketing could make them sound so enticing. That's really lacking today however.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OEalmOJsvM0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-03-13, 12:12 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Julie, your grammatical skills have improved drastically over the last decade.
Old 06-03-13, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Julie, your grammatical skills have improved drastically over the last decade.
thank you. I'm embarrassed by how bad I was with posting online in the past. Since I never proofread and just let whatever was on my mind spew out with no real coherence or thought. They were just instant replies and not taking it too seriously and not realizing how awful it was written.

However,I have noticed plenty of awful grammar and typos in various newspaper articles, as well as online articles and forums in the past few years . I suspect it's all because everyone is impatient today texting and such that they abbreviate words and write 'U' instead of 'you', and this aspect works it's way into all their writing. It's pretty sad, since I can't believe some people get paid to report and write articles, and plenty of typos and other mistakes are let through. But then, it seems no one takes the time to write anymore and it's like I was in the past, just posting fast and furious without any care to whether it was correctly written or not.
Old 06-03-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Since I never proofread and just let whatever was on my mind spew out with no real coherence or thought.
This appears to describe the average poster in the Politics forum ... or reggieray.
Old 06-04-13, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kmical
This appears to describe the average poster in the Politics forum ... or reggieray.
That's true, and why I try my best to stay out of replying in that forum. It's mind boggling trying to read some of the posts, and I just skim through most of them. And most of the time, it's not worth getting caught up in those debates. So if I reply, I try to keep it simple and to the point, and then bail out since I know it'll go on forever.