Reload this Page >

$5 discount for web orders?

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 01-27-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to re-order from CH even though i cancelled my last account after fulfilling.

but i want to use CVX which requires a PSN i believe (is that the same as the account number)?

is it possible to use the www.columbiahouse.com/webdvd 5 dollars off order thing because it asks for an account number? if i put that in they will know its not my first order, correct?

does anyone understand my problem because its kinda confusing to explain.
Old 01-27-03, 04:10 PM

You have to use the $5.00 discount on a fulfillment, because the total cost has to be over a certain amount, I forget what that is exactly. But in any event. Enroll on the phone, using your old aco**** number as your psn... and then when fulfilling with your NEW account once approved, whether you ordered online with previous accounts or not, the $5.00 webdvd page WILL subtract $5.00 from your fulfillment web order (as long as the site's not down...)
Old 01-28-03, 10:06 AM

Could someone direct me to a post with an explanation(sp?) for this $5 off? I tried to search, but $5, web, and off are all too short for search criteria.

Some of the things I "think" I know about it are that it has to be above a certain amount, but if I enrolled online...am I still eligible for this discount?
Old 01-28-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just got the $5 off yesterday. Here is what I did.

I joined online at www.columbiahouse.com with CVX using a previous account number as my PSN. I waited to get my 'welcome to the club' email. Then I went to www.columbiahouse.com/webdvd , ordered my 2 fulfillments and got the $5 savings.

(19.95 x 2) 39.90
shipping 4.98
discount -5.00

Total for the order 39.88

Add that to the $17.40 for the enrollment and I spent $57.28 for 8 dvds, average of $7.16 each. Cool.
Old 01-28-03, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by gabeon
Could someone direct me to a post with an explanation(sp?) for this $5 off? I tried to search, but $5, web, and off are all too short for search criteria.

Some of the things I "think" I know about it are that it has to be above a certain amount, but if I enrolled online...am I still eligible for this discount?
Go to www.columbiahouse.com/webdvd for more info on it.

Also, if you enrolled online it doesn't really count as an online order, so you can still get $5 off on your fulfillment order.
Old 01-31-03, 08:03 AM

Grrrrr! Having problems again with the $5 discount link: Putting Bourne Identity in cart at $19.95, Sum of All Fears in cart at $21.95 (shows up initially as $10.98 because of current 50% off offer, changing it back to full price for fulfillment via links on checkout page), but when I get to final checkout page Sum shows up again at $10.98 (and Bourne Identity is showing as $14.95; guess that's the funky way it's applying the $5 discount). Have tried taking Sum out, adding it back, doesn't help. Any ideas besides calling it in? Thanks.
Old 01-31-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dah-Dee
Grrrrr! Having problems again with the $5 discount link: Putting Bourne Identity in cart at $19.95, Sum of All Fears in cart at $21.95 (shows up initially as $10.98 because of current 50% off offer, changing it back to full price for fulfillment via links on checkout page), but when I get to final checkout page Sum shows up again at $10.98 (and Bourne Identity is showing as $14.95; guess that's the funky way it's applying the $5 discount). Have tried taking Sum out, adding it back, doesn't help. Any ideas besides calling it in? Thanks.
Having the same problem. I fixed it before by turning off my Norton firewall but now that doesn't even help. I tried a different computer (no firewall or antivirus) and the Opera browser instead of Internet Explorer as well and no luck. I think CH changed something so the two titles can't be purchased online at full price fulfillments with $5 off.
Old 01-31-03, 08:20 AM

The discount always shows up as $5 off one of the titles. Don't worry, it still counts as a fulfillment. When you get to the checkout/receipt stage of ordering, the prices sort themselves out. I've used this several times with no problems, and everything counted as a fulfillment.
Old 01-31-03, 08:27 AM
Cool New Member

Can you used this code on a second and third fulfillment even though it says it can only be used on your first web order?

Thanks
Old 01-31-03, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by KDiddy092802
Can you used this code on a second and third fulfillment even though it says it can only be used on your first web order?

Thanks
If you're talking about second and third accounts, then yes, it can be used again. It couldn't be used for additional orders on one account.
Old 01-31-03, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by emerald9999
The discount always shows up as $5 off one of the titles. Don't worry, it still counts as a fulfillment. When you get to the checkout/receipt stage of ordering, the prices sort themselves out. I've used this several times with no problems, and everything counted as a fulfillment.
I've gone all the way to the last checkout page, where you click on "place order," and it's still screwed up as described in my post above. Silly web page.
Old 01-31-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by emerald9999
That's not the problem though. The problem is that it's taking the 50% discount off the second DVD so that it doesn't count as a commitment title. Even after you use the dropdown menu to make it a commitment at full price it reverts back to 50% off on the final screen. I had this problem before and was able to get it to work by shutting off my norton firewall but it no longer works now no matter what I do on multiple computers.
Old 02-02-03, 01:35 PM

Yeah I'm having the same problem with $5 off and Valentine's day special.
Old 02-02-03, 01:39 PM

Well I clicked back and tried a few more times it finally showed up.

Groundhog Day $21.96 Regular price
Counts towards commitment

Jerry Maguire $21.96 Regular price
Counts towards commitment

Subtotal $43.92
Your Special Discount -$4.40
Discount for first time web order -$5.00
Shipping & Processing $4.98
Tax Free

Total $39.50

Pretty sweet.
Old 02-02-03, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by namlook
That's not the problem though. The problem is that it's taking the 50% discount off the second DVD so that it doesn't count as a commitment title. Even after you use the dropdown menu to make it a commitment at full price it reverts back to 50% off on the final screen. I had this problem before and was able to get it to work by shutting off my norton firewall but it no longer works now no matter what I do on multiple computers.
Lots of people have been having the same problem lately, myself included. If turning off your firewall does not fix the problem, you will have to call your order in. When you call in your order make sure to mention that you were having trouble with the website and you still want to get the $5 off. They will usually tell you that they'll charge you full price, and then you have to call back after the order ships and have a CSR credit $5 back to your cc.
Old 02-06-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got it to work. There is a link that says:

Commitment Status how does this work?
You have to buy 2 at regular price before 01.31.2005
Want to buy more DVDs from this order at regular price? Choose how many and there is the link. Then I hit recalculate when I went to the next page and boom... both were fulfillments.

..wish mine was tax free

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 02-06-03 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-06-03, 03:48 PM

For those having problems, hit the recalculate button a few times -- after telling it to add 1 more to full price. I had to hit it twice to get the full price to show up for both, the first time it just switched the two.
Hope it works for you
Old 02-07-03, 10:52 AM

If you already tried to disable your firewall, but it still didn't work, I think it's the website programming problem.

As I've noticed, this problem occurs only when someone places order for ONE pre-order title and one (or more) available title(s). I believe the programmers write their code to force the pre-order title's price to its sale price (at $19.95), if you order it before a specified date. But it mistakenly forces all the prices of all the titles in the cart to their sale prices.

Until they fix this, I don't think we have any choice. If you don't want to call CSR, one trick is to order BOTH items as pre-ordered.
Old 02-07-03, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by ssrioon
If you already tried to disable your firewall, but it still didn't work, I think it's the website programming problem.

As I've noticed, this problem occurs only when someone places order for ONE pre-order title and one (or more) available title(s). I believe the programmers write their code to force the pre-order title's price to its sale price (at $19.95), if you order it before a specified date. But it mistakenly forces all the prices of all the titles in the cart to their sale prices.

Until they fix this, I don't think we have any choice. If you don't want to call CSR, one trick is to order BOTH items as pre-ordered.
I've been having this problem with orders containing only items currently available (no pre-orders in order).

For those having problems, hit the recalculate button a few times -- after telling it to add 1 more to full price. I had to hit it twice to get the full price to show up for both, the first time it just switched the two.
I've also encountered this problem, and "fixed" it the same way you did, but it STILL reverts to one at sale price on the FINAL checkout page, where you 'click' to "place your order."

I got it to work. There is a link that says: Commitment Status how does this work?
You have to buy 2 at regular price before 01.31.2005
Want to buy more DVDs from this order at regular price? Choose how many and there is the link. Then I hit recalculate when I went to the next page and boom... both were fulfillments.
See my reply above.
Old 02-07-03, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Dah-Dee
I've been having this problem with orders containing only items currently available (no pre-orders in order).
This is a different issue than what I was suggesting. As many members mentioned it before, one solution (that might work) is to disable your firewall and pop-up stopper software or to change your browser.

What I said was for those who didn't think the problem was caused from any of their software.
Old 02-07-03, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by ssrioon
This is a different issue than what I was suggesting. As many members mentioned it before, one solution (that might work) is to disable your firewall and pop-up stopper software or to change your browser.

What I said was for those who didn't think the problem was caused from any of their software.
I'd already tried the firewall/browser etc. fixes; didn't help. I sent them an e-mail through the help page and am awaiting a response; this does indeed seem like a programming bug that needs to be fixed by CH.

Edit: In the interest of providing as much info as possible for anyone that might be able to find a technical workaround for the pricing problems we're encountering, I should clarify what I was saying previously: I've had the same "reverting to sale price" problem with orders containing (1) a pre-order and a regular-price available title; (2) a pre-order and a Valentines-day-promo title; (3) 2 pre-orders; (4) a regular-price available title and a Valentine's-day-promo title; and (5) 2 regular-price available titles. Seems to me that CH has royally scrambled their online ordering system. Silly CH.

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 02-07-03 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-19-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did notice that you cannot have two new releases for the $5 off. Some may have already known that. The two movies have to be non-new releases to get the discount. Yet, if you do a pre-order and a new release, no problems.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 02-19-03 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-20-03, 02:11 PM

I think that this problem is related to the promotional offer.
I have two newly opened accounts. One has 50% off and the other 40%. I added two pre-orders to both. With the 50% off account, the second pre-order is automatically price 1/2 off in the cart; but the 40% account, both DVD are at $19.95 (therefore cannot have them at pre-order). At checkout, for 50% of account, only 1 counts as commitment other one is 1/2; with 40% account, both count as commitment.
Old 02-20-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have trouble getting the promotions on your account to work with the $5 off web site I suggest calling CH, explaining the problem, and seeing if they can help. I have done this successfully before. A variant of this approach is to call them and ask for "web support". It has been reported that the web support folks are very helpful.
Old 02-21-03, 02:11 PM

Now both of my accounts have the 50% off deal; therfore I cannot order a second DVD at commitment price

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.