Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Patterson's "Four Blind Mice" - He's lost it...

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just finished James Patterson's "Four Blind Mice", the latest in the Alex Cross series, and I think the author must have had this one ghostwritten by an amateur.

I have really enjoyed all of the previous Cross novels, but this one just seemed to be written in a very clunky manner, with some of the most ridiculous dialogue I've ever read.

Was anyone else particularly disappointed with this one? It may have soured me on ever wanting to pick up another Cross story again, and that's too bad...
Old 01-28-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't read it yet, but I've noticed two things (thus I won't be reading him unless it changes):

1) he's published 4+ books in the last 12 months. With that many novels, quality has to drop.

2) he's using co-authors. This tells me he either isn't writing them or he's getting help, neither of which sounds good to me.
Old 01-28-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually thought Four Blind Mice was better than the last couple Cross novels. (The previous one, Violets Are Blue, was absolutely dreadful.)

As bishop points out, Patterson simply has too much going on to produce the quality of work he used to. With 3 books in 2001 & 3 in 2002, you know they're going to end up substandard. (Even with the help of his assistants and ghosts.)

It's too bad...he used to be pretty good.
Old 01-29-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got word that Patterson's new book, The Jester is on its way in my direction.

Get this: it's a "fabulous adventure story set in medieval times."

WTF?
Old 01-29-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've rarely liked Patterson. The last two books I read were Four Blind Mice and 1st to Die and both sucked hard. I didn't even bother finishing 1st to Die. Unless the killer won in the end I wasn't going to be happy.

He is without a doubt the worst "popular" writer I've ever read.
Old 01-30-03, 04:17 AM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
I've rarely liked Patterson. The last two books I read were Four Blind Mice and 1st to Die and both sucked hard. I didn't even bother finishing 1st to Die. Unless the killer won in the end I wasn't going to be happy.

He is without a doubt the worst "popular" writer I've ever read.
Old 02-04-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Description of The Jester:

"Arriving home disillusioned from the Crusades, Hugh discovers that his village has been ransacked and his wife abducted by knights in search of a relic worth more than any throne in Europe. Only by taking on the role of a jester is he able to infiltrate his enemy's castle, where he thinks his wife is captive.

With the unstoppable pace and plot of a page-turning Alex Cross novel, THE JESTER is a breathtakingly romantic, pulse-pounding adventure-one that could only be conjured by the mind of James Patterson. Everyone who has ever hoped for good to defeat evil or for love to conquer all will not be able to stop turning the pages of this masterful novel of virtue, laughter-yes, laughter-and suspense."

Sounds like a winner.
Old 02-04-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was enjoying the Cross series for a while, even with my personal bias against Patterson, but VAB and FBM ended any further reading of his material.

He's dead to me.
Old 02-04-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by BoatDrinks

He's dead to me.

I chalked up VAB as a temporary setback, but Four Blind Mice has turned me off to following the rest the series for good.

There's too many other WELL-WRITTEN books to read.........