Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Glass (2019, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: Willis, Jackson, McAvoy, Taylor-Joy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-07-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember hearing from M. Night Shyamalan that he was planning to make 'Unbreakable' a trilogy. What ever happened to that idea? Is it still going to happen? Or is he not going to because of the bad word of mouth for 'Unbreakable'. I, for one, would LOVE to see a second and third one. I loved Unbreakable.

Also, I thought The Blair Witch Project was going to be a triliogy. What's up with that? Once again, bad publicity?
Old 01-07-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read somewhere before (dont' ask me where cuz I don't remember) that it was gonna be Unbreakable>Breakable>Broken.

Dunno if it's true. Personally, I hated the first one so I don't care if it ends up being a trilogy or not.
Old 01-07-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the interview I saw awhile back Shyamalan had said he'd like to make at least 1 sequel to Unbreakable, but he wouldn't make it because he believes he would be making it only for himself, and such a sequel would be gratuitously self serving. If the movie had become a huge blockbuster with a huge fan base, he wouldn't have any problems making a sequel to it.
Old 01-07-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth renaldow •<HR SIZE=1>From the interview I saw awhile back Shyamalan had said he'd like to make at least 1 sequel to Unbreakable, but he wouldn't make it because he believes he would be making it only for himself, and such a sequel would be gratuitously self serving. If the movie had become a huge blockbuster with a huge fan base, he wouldn't have any problems making a sequel to it. <HR SIZE=1>

That's a shame. I loved the film, though for different reasons than his other work. While I know there are many people who just won't like it, I think there's a significant group that expected too much or the wrong thing going into it so soon after The Sixth Sense. A lot of people liked it, and it grossed just under $100 million. If you believe in the film, make it. As long as there's a chance of it turning a profit (with a reasonable budget and following the success of Signs, I think that's likely), screw the mass blockbuster audience. You're a filmmaker; make stuff you're passionate about.

das
Old 01-07-03, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you own the DVD the special features and commentary clear up a lot of this...something to the effect of it was originally a trilogy with each part being like a 3 act play, he decided to nix that and made this movie, which is essentially acts 1+2 combined and mostly Act 3. Something like that I forget and I don't feel like watching it now
Old 01-07-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
That's a shame. I loved the film, though for different reasons than his other work. While I know there are many people who just won't like it, I think there's a significant group that expected too much or the wrong thing going into it so soon after The Sixth Sense. A lot of people liked it, and it grossed just under $100 million. If you believe in the film, make it. As long as there's a chance of it turning a profit (with a reasonable budget and following the success of Signs, I think that's likely), screw the mass blockbuster audience. You're a filmmaker; make stuff you're passionate about.

das
I agree.I loved the movie and would love to see another. I would prefer to see Unbreakable the way he intended it as well.
Old 01-07-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you believe in the film, make it. As long as there's a chance of it turning a profit (with a reasonable budget and following the success of Signs, I think that's likely), screw the mass blockbuster audience. You're a filmmaker; make stuff you're passionate about.

das
Hear, hear!

Another reason I think there should be art patrons for film, as well as government sponsored film-making (ala Germany's UFA Studio of the early 1900's). Think of the great films we would get if the profit-motive and studio control were eliminated. What's Bill Gates doing with his spare change, anyway?
Old 01-07-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I REALLY wish he'd go with it, it would gross more than the first because Signs was such a hit, unbreakable is one of my all time favorite movies so I'm keeping hope alive!
Old 01-07-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I liked this movie quite a bit more than I expected since my friends had seen it and then panned it. The funny thing is that I made them watch the movie again with me, and they said they actually liked it a lot more upon the second viewing.
Old 01-08-03, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I liked this movie more watching it on DVD as well. I didn't hate it in the theater... it was just kind of weird. Like many people i expected something different. I'd love to see sequels.
Old 01-08-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's no commentary on the DVD...
Old 01-08-03, 02:44 PM
Banned

Oh god No. I loved Sixth sense but hated this and Signs. The guy is so full of himself and those pretentious endings have got to stop.
Old 01-09-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When he was on Howard Stern he talked about wanting to make a sequal, but then he stated that the original didn't make enough $. He made it sound like he wouldn't get the OK from the studio for it.
Old 01-09-03, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
There's no commentary on the DVD...
must be one of the featurettes then, haven't wathced it since i got it!
Old 01-09-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I think he said it just wanted to focus the most on the first part of the story, which was the character discovering his powers.
Old 01-12-03, 02:10 PM
Cool New Member

When i first rented this movie when it first came out i hated it to death. You see im wierd with some movies, ill rent it and hate then ill see it in the store on dvd and just feel for some reason although it sucked i have to buy it. So i bought it last night and i watched it and I LOVE UNBREAKABLE. SUCH a good movie, infact i loved it so much that this morning i ran out and bought Signs even though i hated that aswell and i love that film too. IM very wierd like that. Other films ive done this with are, Requiem for a Dream, and DOnnie Darko.

But yeh he said its more like three acts, but he cut it down, this movie all about discovering his powers, the next would be about battling something, then the final was about the ultimate fight with his nemesis. I watched it this morning.
Old 01-12-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

imo, unbreakable is a far better movie than i see dead people (which i liked).

did not see signs yet.
Old 01-12-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
This is one of the major problems with the directors in "Mainstream" Hollywood today. Hell, Hollywood in general. More concerned with $$$ than art.
Old 01-12-03, 09:59 PM

Spoilers

The film is stunning, excellent even... until the end, where Knight rushed Act 3 into the final ten minutes and rounded it off with a clumsy text epilogue that really took a lot out of the impact of the finale.

If Knight wanted to make it a trilogy, or at least do a sequel, I'm sure the text about Mr. Glass being taken into custody would have been omitted and the script's original ending would have remained with David leaving Limited Edition, with the tale only beginning.

Somewhere along the line, the trilogy idea must have gotten shot down at the last minute. I say that because the text epilogue seems so tacked on, that it feels like an afterthought.

It's a great film, and I would love to see a follow-up, even if David finds himself up against another foe, or a newly released Mr. Glass.

-g
Old 01-13-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would really be up for a second round of this movie as long as it doesn't become a wacky comic book hero flick.

No Bruce in green tights and a cape [shudder]
Old 08-09-03, 05:24 PM

Just watched this movie again and I really have come to love it. I hope that M Night will be able to get around to making some more in this series.
Old 08-09-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
This is one of the major problems with the directors in "Mainstream" Hollywood today. Hell, Hollywood in general. More concerned with $$$ than art.
Can you blame them for that? If it was your business, you would be concern about the money too.
Old 08-09-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally posted by GaryEA
Somewhere along the line, the trilogy idea must have gotten shot down at the last minute. I say that because the text epilogue seems so tacked on, that it feels like an afterthought.

Maybe, although I think the text is just part of the comic book motif. It also compliments the text at the beginning.

I really liked Unbreakable but I can't imagine there being a sequal. But the last time I watched it, I got an idea of what a second story could be. There's a few scenes that could be 'borrowed' from the original and claim as 'foreshadowing':

At the beginning of the movie, that woman Bruce is trying to hit on mentions a college football player she's going out to Philly to scout. Then later on in the movie, we catch a glimpse of this college footballer playing with the neighbourhood kids. Since this guy crept into the first Unbreakable, why not make him the villian of the sequal. He could be called THE QUARTERBACKER or something. And since Bruce works at the football stadium, he can be there when THE QUARTERBACKER gets struck by lightening or whatever it is that turns him evil. Then Bruce will have to dash back to his locker to grab his poncho and save the day. Movie could write itself...

Um, on second thought...maybe not.
Old 08-09-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
THE QUARTERBACKER
Worst Villian Name Ever!
Old 08-09-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by johnglass
Worst Villian Name Ever!
Not to mention that that's not even a position in football.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.