Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What RPG/Strategy Game Should I Get For GBA?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-10-02, 08:47 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a Gameboy Advance because im doing alot of travelling this season and want a good RPG or Strategy game to keep me busy on long trips.

I got Advance Wars and Id like to get one or 2 more games at the most.

People have recommended Golden Sun or Zelda 4 swords.

Some have said that Golden Sun is too short and has a cheezy setup for a sequel. Ive never played a Zelda game in my life so im not sure I could get into this one if it relies heavily on past games. And all the hype about Zelda kinda makes me reluctant to get into it and be let down.

What games do you recommend??
Old 12-10-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rent them and see which one grabs your attention first. The are both excellent games IMO.
Old 12-10-02, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've never played Zelda: A Link to the Past on the SNES, it's worth getting, especially for $19.99 at Target this week.

It was a truly groundbreaking game, and back in the SNES days I rememebr going through it multiple times I loved the game so much.
Old 12-10-02, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Phantasy Star Collection would be a good idea as well. It contains Phantasy Star 1, 2 and 3 (1 was on the Master System, 2 and 3 were on the Genesis). Have you played those games at all?

And I would recommend Golden Sun and Zelda as well. I still consider Link to the Past to be the best Zelda game (and they are all great, including Zelda II)
Old 12-10-02, 08:57 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I played Phantasy Star 1 back in the day on my good old SMS and i was very eager to pick it up BUT looking at the screenshots with all the black textboxes makes me worry if i could get into it again.
Old 12-10-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a mix of RPG and Strategy get Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis. It's very long (about 40 hours I think) and very addicting.

Some have said that Golden Sun is too short and has a cheezy setup for a sequel.
yes, there is a "cheezy setup for a sequel" but the game is not too short. It's also a lot of fun and that's what matters.

Ive never played a Zelda game in my life so im not sure I could get into this one if it relies heavily on past games. And all the hype about Zelda kinda makes me reluctant to get into it and be let down.
When it comes to the Zelda series it's not hype. The series has delivered the goods every time out for 15 years. This particular Zelda game is near the top of the pack and it's definitely one of the best 2D games of all time.
Old 12-10-02, 09:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you like "American Style" RPGs, you can't go wrong with Eye of the Beholder. That game was kick-ass on PC back in the day.
Old 12-10-02, 10:16 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

A few questions...

What is the replayability for Golden Sun and Tactics Ogre? Once you solve some puzzles are they fun to face again? Is there more than one way to finish the game?

Also, are the Zelda games battles basically run and shoot or are they turn based?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Golden Sun is very straight forward and therefore has little replay value. Tactics Ogre is full of extras and there are several ways to play through the game (different paths, plot choices, character selections, etc.) as well as several ways to fight each battle. TO is the complete package.

Also, are the Zelda games battles basically run and shoot or are they turn based?
Wow. You really never have played a Zelda game. Anyways, the focus of the game is puzzle solving. There are lots of enemies to beat through out the game but most can be vanquished with your sword. The real battles involve the bosses. You'll need to use a lot of strategy and various weapons then.
Old 12-10-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up Zelda last night and played it for a little bit. I've never played any Zelda games, but I had fun. I think I'm going to enjoy it very much judging from how much fun I had last night. Very cool game.

I also got Advance Wars last week as an early Christmas gift and have been playing that, but now that I have Zelda I don't know what I'm going to end up playing most.

In addition to Zelda I also picked up Yoshi's Island and that's fun too. Too many games too little time.

My girlfriend expressed interest in playing Zelda and Yoshi's Island. I might have to get her a GBA for Christmas so I can have mine all to myself. I might get to play the Four Swords in that case. Fun, fun, fun.

I need a vacation.
Old 12-10-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I am loving Phantasy Star again, and if you enjoyed it, you will still enjoy it. Play, look up, 4 hours gone. That type of thing.
Old 12-10-02, 03:09 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally posted by kvrdave
I am loving Phantasy Star again, and if you enjoyed it, you will still enjoy it. Play, look up, 4 hours gone. That type of thing.
EXCELLENT. I remember this being my favorite game of all time and I had to sell my SMS with the game before i could finish it. I was heartbroken.

Recently when ive been looking at the game screenshots I got worried about some of the graphics etc. Im very glad to hear an adult could return to this series and enjoy it again!
Old 12-10-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Here's some screen shoots!

Old 12-10-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,391 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Remember, your GBA plays all GB and GBC games, so don't count out all the RPGs made for them, especially the three Zelda games: Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons.

There were also four Final Fantasy games, though they're not as hardcore as the console versions.

To anyone that's played Eye of the Beholder, is it turn based combat like most RPGs, or is it real time combat like Zelda?

thanks
Old 12-10-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of GBC RPGs, don't forget Dragon Warrior 3.
Old 12-10-02, 08:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
To anyone that's played Eye of the Beholder, is it turn based combat like most RPGs, or is it real time combat like Zelda?
Turn-based, using the D&D system.
Old 12-11-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only good final fantasy game on GB was Final Fantasy Adventure. Its kind of an action adventure game like Zelda . You've probably played its sequel though, its called The Secret of Mana and was released on the SNES.

For GBA games: I always like Breath of Fire I and II, they were pretty good back when they were released, the GBA versions have gotten decent reviews. If you have never played them i would suggest checking them out.

I would also reccomend Megaman Battle Network II. Its an action/rpg kind of game, pretty different from anything i've played but its pretty neat and I had a lot of fun with it! It is not your standard megaman game, in fact its quite different, but it is definitly a good game, check it out!
Old 12-11-02, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by karnblack
My girlfriend expressed interest in playing Zelda and Yoshi's Island. I might have to get her a GBA for Christmas so I can have mine all to myself.
That's what I did. When I was shoppint to buy my GBA, I bought my girlfriend the pink one. She thought that it was cool that I included her in a "guy" thing.