Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who here doesn't like either Star Wars or Lord of the Rings...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-06-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

..or any genre stuff for that matter.

I really love genre films when done right, and think they are the best form of cinema in such regards. However, I know many people who cannot stand genre entertainment and tend to steer clear of it. (Note: by genre I mean Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Comic Books, not Bond type stuff or politcal thrillers.) But I am sure many exist who could care less about either series and the area as a whole. Just want you identified for assimialtio...er...curiousity's sake!
Old 11-06-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, as far as the comic book genre goes:

I liked Superman, Batman, X-Men, and The Shadow. I did not like the sequals to Batman or Superman,

[straps on flame retardant suit]

and I did not like Spiderman.
Old 11-06-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still consider you a genre fan.
Old 11-06-02, 02:02 PM
Retired

I love genre films.

The Star Wars flicks are my all-time favorites, and Lord of the Rings will be right up there if the next 2 are as good as the first one.
Old 11-06-02, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genre films like that are only what I like. Fantasy, Sci-fi, and all that.

Sure I like some action romance or comedy. But even then, my taste usually directs me to Summer blockbusters (in a general sense of using the term "Summer"). . Like Shanghai Noon or Lethal Weapon 4.
Old 11-06-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
I happen to be quite a Big Star Wars fan but Can't,Totally Can't stand any piece of LOTR!
Old 11-06-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love LoTR, and mildly interested in SW... The original trilogy tho, I hated Episode I and II, they are garbage riding the original's success IMO.
Old 11-06-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron Chef
and I did not like Spiderman.
*high five*
Old 11-06-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in the same opinion as Lastblade.
Old 11-06-02, 03:39 PM
Banned

Liked LOTR and am a major Star Wars fan,also like any movie about a comic book character,except those damn Superman sequels.Pathetic!!!
Old 11-06-02, 03:55 PM
Banned

I like LOTR and I don't like Star Wars.
Old 11-06-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm definitely what you would deem a Star Wars fanboy. I even quite like the prequels - however, I almost view them as if they're not part of the true "cannon" (if you will). While TPM and ATOC are interesting and a lot of fun, they're far removed from the originals in so many respects that I find it difficult to really connect the old series with this new one.

George still has vision, but it has been tainted by changing values (catering a bit too much to the kids methinks) and the obvious pressure of building a commercial titan of the same scope as the original trilogy. Somewhere along the way, I think George has lost an edge - the new films seem a bit too mechanical and contrived, while the old ones flowed with a real warmth and passion. A case in point here is the selection of the cast - it's like Lucas these days is more interested in the "look" of these actors, not whether they can convey the character as necessary. Need I mention either actor who has played Anakin? Oops.

Personally, I think George wasted too much time telling l'il Annie's story when he could have focussed on the adult (and mature) Anakin falling to the dark side. He could have made a real tragedy with real weight - instead, he wanted to show a cute little Vader yelling "yippee". George, we know that Anakin was innocent when he was just a kid - but damnit, skip on already to the good stuff!

As for LOTR, it's by far and away my favourite novel. Peter Jackson has remained incredibly true to Tolkien's vision and has not tried to "lighten" the tone or "dumb" the content down for the masses. I completely respect this approach, but I am truly astonished at just how incredible he was able to convey the spirit, texture and characters onto the big screen. No one could have asked for a better adaptation.

The first film is fast becoming one of my favourite movies of all-time. I expect the sequels to be just as good, if not better than the first act. And that being said, I think there is little doubt in my mind that this will become far-and-away the best trilogy ever put to screen.

But of course, ymmv...

-matt

Last edited by raithen; 11-06-02 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-06-02, 06:53 PM
Cool New Member

I really liked Star Wars and The Empire Strikes back. I don't like return of the Jedi or the new movies... Although I thought episode II was entertaining and I enjoyed watching it. I loved LOTR: FOTR, it was literally a dream come true. My appreciation for the movie was born out of my great facination and influence the books had on my life.

As far as superhero movies are concerned;

The original Batman was fantastic.

X-Men was pretty good, albiet I was brought up on comic books, and there for it didn't live up to my expectations. Me and my friends would have conversations based on who should be the actors in a X-men movie, if they were ever to make one, Patrick Stewart was always my pick for Prof. X. They left out gambit...

Spiderman wasn't all that great of a movie, but it was alot of fun.

The Shadow was great. I loved that movie as a kid, but it is quite cheezy now.
Old 11-06-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I love all of the original Star Wars films. Among my favorite of all time. I also love AOTC, and like TPM. I'm mildly entertained by LOTR.
Old 11-07-02, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Well . . . I hate LOTR (can't stand the books either, for that matter). I usually don't like standard fantasy, but I did like the BBC production of Gormenghast, and I like a lot of modern fantasies (Buffy and Angel tv shows, for example).

I'm not a big fan of Star Wars either, however, I love Babylon 5 and Farscape, and lots of sci-fi movies (Dark City, Minority Report, Blade Runner etc.)

So I'd say I love genre movies, just not LOTR or Star Wars.

tasha
Old 11-07-02, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw both Spider-Man and LOTR in theater, and like both movies. About genre films, I don't actively avoid any movie just because it fits into a particular nitch like sci-fi, fantasy, or comic book. I think movies should be judged based on whether it's good or not, not because it fit into a particular genre.
Old 11-07-02, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Even better question

Who here likes starting threads that most will use as an excuse to bash films lots of people like?
Old 11-07-02, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like both. (SW trilogy only)

On some of the other movies with a big fan base:

The Matrix and Blade are two that I really can't sit through.
I did like Blade 2 and I'm thinking about picking up the DVD.

The first two Batman were great.

Spiderman was OK, but not good enough for me to buy the disc.
Old 11-07-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Wars OK only for the special effects and visuals. LOTR was pretty good for a blind buy.
Old 11-07-02, 08:39 AM

I'm not a big fan of either. When I was a kid I was a big Star Wars fan. I had plenty of figures and space ships and comic books and what not. When it was re-released to the theatres I took my wife who had never seen it (and it was MANY years since I last saw it myself) and we both just wanted to fall asleep. No waves of nostalgia came back to sweep me back to my childhood.

Lord of the Rings, I didn't like the book and the movie holds little interest for me. I'll see it someday. I'm certainly not looking forward to the next chapter (Two Towers?) because when I got up to the part where the talking tree comes into the story I had to give up. I couldn't endure all the history of the tree people. I just didn't care. But hey, that's just me. Different strokes and all that.
Old 11-07-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The super hero thing seems to be getting a bit out of control. Do we really need a Daredevil film?
Old 11-07-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JaxComet
The super hero thing seems to be getting a bit out of control. Do we really need a Daredevil film?
Sure! We can have a great soundtrack fueled by MTV's top talent, throw in just enough of a wet t-shirt scene to ensure a pg-13 rating, and we'll make MEEELIONS!!
Old 11-07-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I "like" the Star Wars films. They're a fun way to spend a couple of hours, but once they're over - they're over. I don't live or die by the content, and I can pretty much be sure of dazzling visuals and a generally weak storyling padded by cool effects. Pretty much what I was expecting when I plopped down...

As for LOTR, I had read the books long before Star Wars was a rumored project, and have re-read them a few times over the years. For me, Tolkien is on a very high "writer idol" pedestal, and Jackson's film(s) have really captured visually what I found so appealing in the books.
Old 11-07-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm...apparently there are more genre film fans out there than I expected. Guess that's expected on a discussion board with lots of film fans in general.

In all honesty, the kind of people that I have in mind as not liking any kind of genre films are probably not the kind that would spend a lot of time hanging out on a discussion board during work hours. (Which might have to end for me soon, ) We have been leased by a major corporation and might have to cutback DVD talk time.
Old 11-07-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In general I like "genre" stuff I guess, meaning I like fantasy/sci-fi stuff. However I really have zero interest in Star Wars or LOTR. I do have LOTR on dvd but haven't watched it yet. So I haven't seen LOTR or the 2 latest Star Wars movies - and really, I have no desire to see them either.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.