Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best place to sell/trade your VHS collection?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-03-02, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All!!

I am looking to convert my VHS collection (approximately 50 movies) over to DVDs.
Where is the best place to sell/trade-in your VHS movies?

I already know ebay and half.com is an option, but I don't want to go that route.

Another suggestion I've gotten is ZIA records. A local Phoenix, AZ store that sells/trades/buys music, movies and games.

What is the best route to go in order to rid yourself of VHS movies???
Thanks
Old 11-04-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

donate them to a library and write them off.
Old 11-04-02, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestion succubiss,
But I'm looking to get the most amount of $$$ as fast as possible so that I can buy DVDs now (don't want to wait for an IRS check)
Old 11-04-02, 12:28 AM

check out...

www.secondspin.com
Old 11-04-02, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You said you didnt want to go half.com but that has been the best way for me to get rid of VHS tapes.

Capt
Old 11-04-02, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hate to tell you this..... but the market for used VHS tapes has really dried up in the past 18 months. For example, several stores here in NYC (ones that you could always count on to buy your tapes) won't even look at them anymore. Unless it is a rare title or genuinely out-of-print item that isn't available on DVD, you'd be lucky to get more than $1-2 each for them. It's about 2 years too late for selling VHS tapes.
Old 11-04-02, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also agree that Half.com is still probably your best route.
Old 11-04-02, 09:11 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I've sold several on eBay.
Old 11-04-02, 09:24 AM

Sell them all together on ebay. I have over 100 vhs tapes and plan to seperate them into catagories of 30 or so and sell them on ebay for a bulk price. Its probally the best way to go.
Old 11-04-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
Hate to tell you this..... but the market for used VHS tapes has really dried up in the past 18 months. For example, several stores here in NYC (ones that you could always count on to buy your tapes) won't even look at them anymore. Unless it is a rare title or genuinely out-of-print item that isn't available on DVD, you'd be lucky to get more than $1-2 each for them. It's about 2 years too late for selling VHS tapes.
This is why I unloaded all of mine before this happened. I still haven't replaced them all, but I did get a bunch of $$ then, vs. nothing now. Everyone I know thought I was crazy selling my whole collection(100+ movies). But this was 4 years ago when DVD was still on shaky ground. So back then I was getting $5 per VHS. And with the deals to be had online at that time DVD's only averaged me $7 each. So to upgrade my whole collection, it was pretty much $2 per movie. My average is still around the $7 mark, but hard to keep there.

Anyway, I took mine to a local comic book shop. They sell everything. Comics, toys, posters, cds & tapes, books, movies. It is a great place to find something you can't get in the store anymore. Bought Yentl as a gift for $7. It is OOP and nowhere on the DVD horizon(to my knowledge). Good Luck!
Old 11-04-02, 10:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Store Forum.
Old 11-04-02, 12:44 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Are you in the Phoenix area? Better than Zia Records would be Bookmans (Country Club & Southern) in Mesa, they'll give you cash or trade (more than they'll give you for cash) - better yet they have DVDs that you can use your trade credit for. They have a pretty big VHS collection and it's always busy.

Edit: To explain why Bookmans is better than Zias . . . Zias is more for younger people/college students/etc., who are more into DVDs - therefore, Zias would take little of your VHS and give you little trade or cash for them. Bookmans is more of a family store and VHS tapes are still selling briskly.

If you haven't been to Bookmans, you're missing out! They also have Laser Discs, CDs/Tapes/LPs, Video Games (all platforms), Magazines, and of course books. It's a huge store . . . biggest second-hand media store by far I've ever seen.

jarsim

Last edited by jarsim; 11-04-02 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-04-02, 09:08 PM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Jarsim, I think I'm going to have to take you up on your Bookmans proposal and check the place out thanks!
Old 11-04-02, 11:52 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
You're welcome, P.S. for buying used DVDs check out Rockaway Records also in Mesa (and very close to Bookmans) on the northwest corner of Alma School and Southern (across from the Fiesta Mall) . . . they have well over a thousand used DVDs. and many deals can be found . . .

jarsim
Old 11-05-02, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by succubiss
donate them to a library and write them off.
how does that work? and is it worth it?

K
Old 11-05-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Zia is awesome. I passed thru Phoenix a couple of months ago and spent an afternoon going to the 4 locations in Phoenix. Blew a lot of cash that day.
Old 11-07-02, 06:23 PM

UPDATE ON MY VHS PLIGHT:

Well I checked out Zia and I don't think I'm going to go that route.
I took a sample of my VHS collection in and they only wanted to give me:
$2 cash per VHS OR
$3 trade-in per VHS

Looks like it is off to Bookman's for me!
Old 11-08-02, 10:53 PM
Suspended

$3 trade-in at Zia, isn't too shabby . . . you should do a tad better at Bookmans. But you better unload them fast. I was in another local store today, Rockaway Records, which I mentioned before in this thread. Someone came in with some pretty decent VHS tapes and the person said, "We're not taking any VHS right now."

Time to cut your losses before you can't unload them at all! Luckfully I did what you're doing now about two years ago.
(Wipes brow)
Old 11-08-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I donate my VHS tapes to library. They are not worth that much to write off on my tax form though.
Old 11-09-02, 10:38 AM

Actually Bookman's was worse...
I went there and they only wanted to give me $2 in "B" credit per VHS.
They actually have categories on there store credit at Bookman's.
This "B" credit that they were offering can NOT be used to purchase DVDs so it was a truly horrid offer.

(I also checked rockaway and they said they are accepting VERY limited VHS trade-ins)

Looks like these VHS are going to Zia/ebay
Old 02-20-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: Best place to sell/trade your VHS collection?

So my grandparents are downsizing and giving me about 1500 vhs tapes. Is there a retro market for this yet or should I just chuck them.

Or make shelving out of them:

Old 02-20-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL at some of the tapes your grandparents owned.
Old 02-21-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy smokes at this bump, lol.

Make sure none are really valuable before you sell them off or give them away. Certain VHS titles, especially if the movie has never been released on another format, can be worth hundreds of dollars. Even flicks that have been released on DVD and BD or whatever can be worth hundreds if it's a specific version or edition of VHS. More than anything else it seems to mean more for horror, and other specific specialty programs, and that sort of thing.
Old 02-23-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, there are certain VHS tapes that are worth decent money. I occasionally come across them on Amazon. Here's one example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all
Old 02-24-13, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If any are sealed, you can usually get 2-5 bucks for them if you want to fool with it. But like others have said, check the price on Amazon,especially for movies that are not too common. Some DVDs that go OOP also force the price of the VHS up. That "Young At Heart" is around $30 new and 2.50 used. I can't tell from the picture if it's new or not.

But realistically, you'll be lucky to get .25 for most of them at a garage sale.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.