Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First Superman, now the Fantastic Four movie...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-31-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Read this on Dark Horizons. I'm not going to jump up and down and say the movie "SUX" before it's even filmed, but I have to admit I do not like the sound of this at all. It's not quite as bad as making Lex Luthor an alien, but it does go pretty far away from what I thought was a perfectly decent comics mythology. I know comics can't always translate to film perfectly, but really, do they have to reinvent the wheel every time? Sigh... anyway, read on:

Spoiler:
The Fantastic Four: "Buffy" scribe Doug Petrie has just spoken with Dreamwatch magazine about his plans for his version of the film script and how the origin of the heroes and villain will differ from that of the comic mythology: "The change to the origin story, which came from the earlier drafts and I adopted, is that Doom was like the fifth Beatle. He was on the spaceship with them, and in my version he saw this particle wave coming - they didn’t want to say cosmic rays because they felt it sounded fake, but in fact cosmic rays are real. I wanted to do A Perfect Storm in space, where a giant wave is coming towards them, and Victor blasts off in the escape pod, saving his own skin. He crashlands to Earth and becomes Doom because his face is lost in the reentry process, which is horrible and violent, while the four of them get bombaded by these mysterious rays and become the Fantastic Four". These origin scenes will be part of flashbacks though, as the opening is "a giant action sequence where everyone in New York City is watching The Fantastic Four kick the crap out of a giant monster on Fifth Avenue". Thanks to 'Confuscious Brown'.
Old 10-31-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what is the comic origin?

Spoiler:
I am already not liking it because I hated Perfect Storm, but I would still go see it.

-CM-
Old 10-31-02, 08:17 PM

C-Mart

Reed Richards and his room-mate and test pilot Ben Grimm take Reed's girlfriend Susan Storm and her younger brother in outer space and they get hit by cosmic rays and become the FF

Actually I don't mind this change it could of been worse
Old 11-01-02, 03:08 AM

Thanks Gattman

Sounds close enough I guess. This is just scripting phase right? So no word on possible actors or anything?

-CM-
Old 11-01-02, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

can we just have sam raimi do all comic movies? either him or bryan singer. these two guys understand what works. you don't have to go in and totally shred the original material. there is a reason that these comics are successful people!! you don't have to 'refresh' anything or change anything, the story is right there. whata bunch of idiots.
Old 11-01-02, 08:03 AM

Re: FF4 and Doom

Sounds close enough I guess. This is just scripting phase right? So no word on possible actors or anything?
That's not the horrendous bit. The horrendous bit is that per the canon, Victor Von Doom and Reed Richards were college roommates.
Von Doom, if I recall correctly, was the bastard son of a gypsy woman and Count(?) Von Doom. He lived in Latveria. From his mother he learned dark sorcerous arts.
Richards was concerned because of the types of experiments that Von Doom was involved in, a blend of sorcery and science.
It was one of these experiments that shredded his face, although some posit that under the mask, there is nothing wrong with Von Doom's face. Instead, they believe, his mind got whacked and he only sees his face as uglified.

Anyway, I may be shaky on the details, but that's the gist of the thing.
If they put Doom in space, that's a bad sign. What else would they do, make the Thing a politically correct tree hugger who hates cigars?
For that matter, would Johnny Storm be in trouble with all of the non-smoking regulations now in effect?
Could Susan Storm still be the Invisible Girl or would she be Visibly Challenged Woman?
J
Old 11-01-02, 08:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Huh?!?
Old 11-01-02, 09:23 AM

In the comics, Doom is a college classmate or Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) who is doing some sort of science/mysticism experiment. Reed happens to see Doom's calculations and tells him he's off a decimal (or something like that). Doom's ego doesn't allow him to accept criticism or help from Richards and he goes off to doe his experiment which explodes and gets him thrown out of school. He figures Richards sabotaged the calculations out of jealousy of Doom's genius.

Basically, he was never a friend, always a rival. Never a "fifth Beetle" kind of a thing.
Old 11-01-02, 09:30 AM
MrN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't mind the change - this way they're combining the origin of the FF and Doom and Doom can still blame Reed for what happens. Of course, the purists will object...
Old 11-01-02, 09:34 AM
MrN

I guess this belongs in this thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=247499

I'm sure Susan will be Invisible Woman, as she has been in the comics the last 10+ years.
And I have a feeling they're gonna take out Doom's mystical background - unless they somehow make the film about searching for the Ark or the Holy Grail or something like that.
Old 11-01-02, 09:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Like any comic book adaptation people are going to howl and howl no matter what they do. "Whine...they changed the color of Richard Reed's hair...boo hoo hoo!"
Old 11-01-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
We only whine because we care!

What is wrong with leaving Doom's origin in tact? Do they think people can't relate to having a rival in college that always seemed to be trying to one-up another person?
At least bring up the Knights of the Atomic Table fraternity, one to which both Richards and Doom belonged.
IMO, and this is where Batman really dropped the ball IMO, never mess with the origin of a hero or villain. Spidey and Superman did the best origin stories available IMO, and X-Men did the best thing with Wolverine by having it remain a mystery. (Mainly because it still was one when the movie arrived.)
Old 11-01-02, 11:00 AM

I don't mind the change. It still sounds like a comic book story. Bring on the movie!!!!!
Old 11-01-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally posted by Braddok
I don't mind the change. It still sounds like a comic book story. Bring on the movie!!!!!

Appropriate wording, since this is being brought in by the man who directed Bring It On.
Old 11-01-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like they changed the origin of Doom, not so much the origin of the F4.

I would go to see this and buy the DVD.

Here are my favorite Superheroes on DVD:
1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Xmen
4. Spiderman

Ones I hope will also be awesome on DVD
1. Hulk
2. F4
3. DareDevil

I collect a bunch of Comics in the 70s, the movies/DVDs are going to be the new driving force for these Superheroes!
Old 11-01-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
It sounds like the change was/will be made to simply help move the story along, as opposed to any desire to "monkey" with comic book canon.

The same "streamlining" can be attributed towards making the Joker the killer of Bruce Wayne's folks, movie-Spidey's organic webshooters, and bypassing Lex Luthor's "how I went bald due to Clark Kent" backstory in Donner's "Superman."

In many ways, I hold ol' Stretcho, Suzie, Match-Head and Aunt Petunia's favorite nephew as near and dear to my heart as a certain wall-crawler. If the film opens with the FF battling a giant Kirby-esque monster in midtown Manhattan, I'd certainly consider it a step in the right direction.

I just hope I can hold back my girlish squeal the first time Benjy yells "It's Clobberin' Time." Of course, if they cut out that little piece of funnybook nuance, I could possibly be encouraged to riot.
Old 11-01-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fantastic Four was always a favorite growing up. I hope this works as well as spiderman did.
Old 11-01-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
be glad you haven't read the scripts for Silver Surfer or Plastic Man.

and from that last line.. don't you picture the cover of issue #1

Last edited by devilshalo; 11-01-02 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-01-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Just release the already made movie.. it should do as good as this new idea in the box office.
Old 11-01-02, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Like any comic book adaptation people are going to howl and howl no matter what they do. "Whine...they changed the color of Richard Reed's hair...boo hoo hoo!"
You mean Reed Richards?
Old 11-01-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
It just seems like a lame 'cop-out' to me to always make the hero and villian intimately related, 'light and dark' sides of the same coin in movies. Examples -- Joker kills Batman's folks instead of some anonymous gunman, Green Goblin's company is responsible for Spider-Man's powers, etc. It's rather limp storytelling to fall back on the "you're my enemy, and my twisted reflection!" theory every time. Of course, I guess they do it in comic books all the time too, but I've always liked it better when the villain is JUST a villain -- not the heros' father/employer/ex-girlfriend/pet chiropractor or whatever.
Old 11-01-02, 07:06 PM
Banned

I would like to see the original F4 movie that was made about 10 years ago. Apparently it was so bad they never released it.
Too bad they dont do that with most horrible Hollywood movies.

I always heard this movie was impossible to do because of the amount of money it would cost to do the effects.
Old 11-01-02, 09:59 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
You really don't want to see the 1994 Fantastic Four. I mean, really really don't.
Old 11-01-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by caligulathegod
You really don't want to see the 1994 Fantastic Four. I mean, really really don't.
Why, it can't possibly be as bad as the Captain America film...
Old 11-02-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by lordzeppelin
Why, it can't possibly be as bad as the Captain America film...

As amazing as it sounds, It is worse...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.