Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Who has the best holiday sales strategy? MSoft, Sony, or Nintendo?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Who has the best holiday sales strategy? Sony, MSoft, or Nintendo
Gamecube: that Mario bundle is a system seller
26.09%
X-box: a powerful console with TWO pack in games for $200!
60.87%
PS2: Greatest Hits titles for $20 are a big draw
13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-02, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a person who's been shopping consoles lately, I think I have a unique perspective on the various deals out there right now. It might be a bit early, but here's my take on the holiday sales strategy for each of the 3 consoles...

Microsoft: Sega Bundle. An X-box with Jet Set Radio Future and Sega GT on a single pack in disk for $199. Good second tier third party games, but not system sellers in my opinion. Packing in Halo would have been a much better move. B-

Nintendo: Mario Sunshine bundle. GC, Mario, and a memory card for $190. Makes good business sense to me. First party games are the primary reason people will buy Gamecubes...certainly the only reason i'll ever get one. I was pretty much over the RE series when the first Tomb Raider came out 7 years ago. Bottom line: Mario is a system seller, and I think Nintendo will sell a lot of these. I think it's about the best strategy they could have taken...aside from possibly a $129 price drop. I didn't buy one, but I sure came close. A

Sony: Might still have a trick up their sleeve, but I don't think so. The PS2 seems to be at that point in it's life where Sony is focused more on selling software than hardware. My guess is that Sony is counting on their Greatest Hits lineup to sell PS2s. It's an easy strategy to dismiss offhand, but a list of great games for $20 a pop ($15 with BB coupon) sold me a console. I think dropping the price of the PS2 to $179 would be a solid move (that's what I paid for mine). B+

any thoughts?

Last edited by chess; 10-29-02 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-29-02, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI: I voted Nintendo, but I bought a PS2.

go figure.
Old 10-29-02, 09:34 AM

From these choices I'd have to say the XBOX bundle is the best holiday deal. If you factor in XBOX Live then it makes that system even sweeter (for those who want online gaming).

The greatest hits for PS2 are nice but personally that isn't a "system-seller" kind of deal. If they had a bunde with the system, then we're getting somewhere.

Nintendo has a nice package with Mario, but I still think the XBOX deal is sweeter.
Old 10-29-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by finbogg
From these choices I'd have to say the XBOX bundle is the best holiday deal. If you factor in XBOX Live then it makes that system even sweeter (for those who want online gaming).
Now if the XBox Live was included I would have to agree. But for $50 to play a handful of games (that aren't included, more $$$) online is not a deal at alll. Now playing Halo online right now for free is a better deal, but hardly advertisable.

Don't forget that Nintendo is also supposed to have a Metroid bundle as well, giving gamers two or three options this holiday season.

I think you are right about the PS2, I don't think they count on any game anymore than the GTA series.

So the edge goes to N.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-29-02 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-29-02, 09:59 AM

I would say Gamecube for kids. Xbox for adults.
Old 10-29-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts
Ironically, don't the companies lose money (or make very little) on ever console they sell? It's my understanding that the majority of their profit comes from software sales (and perhaps accessories).

With this line of thinking, I think PS2 comes out on top, with their greatest hits line. I would think that most of their sales would be console-only, meaning that mom and dad have to get games for junior, and hey! there's a bunch of 20 dollar games. Let's tell all the relatives! I don't know how much money they make off of the Greatest Hits, though. They do have a killer ap in GTA:VC, though.

Gamecube comes next. Even though their bundles come with games, they're first party games, and I'm sure they still make money off of them. Plus they have a bunch of must-have games, including Metroid Prime.

Xbox has the greatest deal if you're looking to buy a console. I'm really tempted. But I think that Mom and Dad will see that it comes with two games already, and decline to buy any more for Christmas. And I'm not all that current on X-box games, but it seems like their killer ap is still Halo, which is a year old. Of course, next year, with more console sales over the holiday, Xbox software sales should get a boost.

The fight is really between Xbox and GC, at least here in the states, since I think the PS2 head start is too significant to overcome in this generation of consoles. I do wish that Sony would start packing the network adapter in with their system... my biggest fear is that as an optional accessory, software companies will stop developing for it. I don't think there's been a single optional accessory that's been supported beyond the initial hype for it.
Old 10-29-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GTA-VC will sell consoles.

The great $19.99 game list will also tip the balance in some minds.

I think Sony will be allowing (suggesting)retailers create their own bundles and working deals. TRU has a $249 bundle deal with 2 games- wipeout fusion and stuntman plus a controller and PS2 carry bag.

Missing is a memory card however.
Old 10-29-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gcribbs
GTA-VC will sell consoles.

Can't agree with this statement. The system seller was GTA3. Those who brought it for GTA3 already have the console. I don't think GTA:VC will sell systems by itself.
Old 10-29-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deadpool
Can't agree with this statement. The system seller was GTA3. Those who brought it for GTA3 already have the console. I don't think GTA:VC will sell systems by itself.
I guess we see. I think some thought GTA3 was not enough. The great reviews of GTA-VC will get some who wanted GTA3 but held off to buy it now. Of course maybe I will be wrong
Old 10-29-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess we see. I think some thought GTA3 was not enough. The great reviews of GTA-VC will get some who wanted GTA3 but held off to buy it now. Of course maybe I will be wrong
Could happen that way. Haven't checked out any reviews yet of VC. I'm just speculating. I know of 4 people that traded in GC's & X-box's for a PS2 & GTA3.
Old 10-29-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deadpool
Could happen that way. Haven't checked out any reviews yet of VC. I'm just speculating. I know of 4 people that traded in GC's & X-box's for a PS2 & GTA3.
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/22608.asp

average about 98%
Old 10-29-02, 01:36 PM
Retired

Nintendo. Mario is a household name. The X-box packins are second tier games that a lot of people probably haven't even heard of.

Plus a big chunck (if not the majority of consoles) bought as X-mas presents are bought by parents for their kids, so Mario is a better packin from that standpoint as well.

Plus beyond the bundle, Nintendo has Metroid Prime, Mario Party 4, Resident Evil 0, etc. coming out to make the system even more tempting.
Old 10-29-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just read in PSM magazine that there's a chance that Sony might drop the price of the PS2 ANOTHER $50 by Thanksgiving. Rumor has it that Microsoft might make another price drop so Sony would have to obviously follow suit.

A $149.99 console and then you purchace GTA: Vice City ( seperately albeit) makes one mucho bundle.

Old 10-29-02, 03:26 PM
Banned

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/22608.asp

average about 98%
damn and that's including the 3 of the Big 4: EGM, IGN and Gamespot. Only PSM is missing. Leading candidate for game of the year right there.
Old 10-29-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the price of consoles keeps dropping, the $50 price of games is going to start to seem even more ridiculous.

Anyway, on topic - I think Nintendo will perform best this Christmas. Microsoft should have bundled Halo. It may even outsell PS2 due to saturation of the PS2.

stoolie
Old 10-29-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
PS2 is going to be big again this holiday season. 30 people were in line at Best Buy this morning to get Vice City only to find Best Buy didn't get their shipment. Just one EB alone had over 200 preorders for it and many of those people were getting PS2 consoles as well.

Vice City is going to be a huge hit and bring in more people to the PS2 that were on the fence about getting it. GTA3 brought in many last year, but I'm betting there are still a bunch of people that have waited and I think Vice City will win them over.

Played Vice City and it is an excellent game. Still as amazing and as fun as the first one.

From what I've seen in stores both the Xbox and Game Cube bundles seem to be doing pretty good. If nothing else it may be close this year, but I'm betting PS2 will win again.

edited to make my point clear.

Last edited by darkside; 10-30-02 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-30-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by evenflowddt
damn and that's including the 3 of the Big 4: EGM, IGN and Gamespot. Only PSM is missing. Leading candidate for game of the year right there.
up to 99% now adding in PSM

this game is getting universal high marks.

By the way. The PS2 will outsell both GC and XBox combined this XMas worldwide- you heard it here first
Old 10-30-02, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by kegman
I would say Gamecube for kids. Xbox for adults.
GASP!
Old 10-30-02, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
By the way - Xbox has the worst plan ever for their Korean launch before the end of the year... I'm not supposed to disclose the details, but it's pretty sad.

I voted for Xbox because their plan is the best... whether it'll sell more than others is a mystery. Vice City will certainly be a huge huge title. Xbox has a few titles that are promising, but not nearly as high profile. Splinter Cell should turn a few heads.
Old 10-30-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by darkside

I played it for 3 hours already and its still an amazing game to play.
Still amazing after 3 hours! Wow! That is amazing. That was the funniest thing I have read all day. Thanks.
Old 10-30-02, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Still amazing after 3 hours! Wow! That is amazing. That was the funniest thing I have read all day. Thanks.
i think i understand what he means. i've played GTA3 for the past couple of days and i'm still finding new stuff that i didn't know i could do.

anyway, back on topic. i'm hearing rumors of a PS2 price drop to $149...which would be minorly upsetting since i just paid $179 for mine.

but i knew the risk.
Old 10-30-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
You either misread what I was saying or you were just being sarcastic, but whatever.

A friend went back to try at Best Buy again and there was an even longer line. PS2 is getting a nice start on the end of year sales with this title.

Interesting to see how Metroid Prime and Splinter Cell do. I'm wondering if Vice City may hurt the sales of other games for weeks to come.

Last edited by darkside; 10-30-02 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-30-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ps2 - the 2 for 3 deal on amazon, plus vice city have me forgetting about buying an xbox all together.
Old 10-30-02, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kegman
I would say Gamecube for kids.
Old 10-31-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by qbert
ps2 - the 2 for 3 deal on amazon, plus vice city have me forgetting about buying an xbox all together.
funny, that was my situation as well...except i was looking at GC instead of Xbox. i was "this close" to buying a cube when i realized that the PS2 was a better deal for me.

$179 shipped
subsidized by the sale of my PS1
one less console hooked up
3 for 2 deal covered two new games i'm dying to play (robotech and vice city) and got me need for speed to boot
at least 5 greatest hits titles that i want for $15 each
plenty of good deals on half/ebay
already have extra controllers
could use a DVD player in the bedroom

as much as i wanted mario and zelda, it ended up being a no-brainer for me. but i still think the mario bundle will sell like heroin this x-mas...hence my vote for nintendo.

Xbox was a nonplayer for me. no interest in FPS...despite the fact that Halo looks wicked cool.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.