Reload this Page >

best console for 1st person shooters?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

best console for 1st person shooters?

Old 10-21-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best console for 1st peroson shooters

well, considering the current x-box deal, i have started researching what console would best meet my needs:

1. 1st person shooters (like quake)
2. car driving games

i am not into sports or RPG.

any recommendations?

yes, i know that halo is awesome and is for the x-box.
i am leaning towards the x-box cause of the target deal, but dont want to be stuck witha system that wont meet my needs
Old 10-21-02, 06:55 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

XBox, hands down.

Battlefield: 1942
Black Hawk Down
Doom 3
Halo 2
DX2: Invisible War
Half Life: Counter-Strike
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Operation Flashpoint
Perfect Dark Zero
Serious Sam
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
Starcraft: Ghost
Unreal Championship

To name a few.

Driving games are also abundant on the XBox.

Last edited by Flay; 10-21-02 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Definitely X-Box, for all the reasons Flay said.
Old 10-21-02, 07:00 PM

Flay -- thanks for the quick and to the point repsonse!

are those current games?

or upcoming games?

do they have a Medal of Honor?
Old 10-21-02, 07:05 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Most of them are upcoming.

In the near future

James Bond 007: Nightfire
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Serious Sam
Unreal Championship
Old 10-21-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Medal of Honor on Xbox will also have multiplayer mode. Something missing from the PS2 version.

Xbox is by far the best choice for FPS and they have a pretty good racing selection

Sega GT 2002 is pretty good and Rallisport Challenge was a blast to play. They don't have a Gran Turismo 3 quality title, but they do have a good variety of titles overall.
Old 10-21-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

StarCraft: Ghost will be 3rd-person, not 1st-person.

You forgot to mention a few:

Jedi Knight II
XIII
Asylum
will very most likely get Half-Life 2
...can't think of any more.

But you're right, Xbox is the king of console FPS's. Kind of bizarre to think that it'll now get the next Perfect Dark.
Old 10-21-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Box vote.
Old 10-21-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you have to play FPS games on a console, the xbox is probably the way to go.

As for driving games, I think the PS2 has an at least slight edge. What type of racing games is your favorite?
Old 10-21-02, 07:56 PM

Again, thanks for all the helpful input! are you sure you all aren't a bunch of "yes men"?

Well, i got hooked on FPS with "Action" Quake and Quake 2 @ college (ahhh, those were the days), unreal tournie, and sof on the PC... and of course, Godeneye on n64... so my main interest is in running around and killing things.... allthough i didnt like perfect dark, cause it was to exotic. i like bond cause it is more realistic, and absed on strategy, not so mcuh on defeating impossible bosses like perfect dark... i got so far and quit cause i couldnt be that one guy!

is 3rd person where you are behind the character, you can see his back, legs, etc?

Aghama -- well, i have GT2 for the psx and never was a big fan, to much involvment for me, i like games like Ridge Racer where you can just pick it up and play for a few hours, no huge circuity, and a need to race for $$$ and upgrade, so GT3 is not really my thing. i really like mario kart for the n64

I keep reading good things about Rally Sport though.
Old 10-21-02, 08:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Sounds like Project Gotham Racing would be up your alley also which can be had for cheap if you do some baragain hunting. http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...1794&meta_id=4

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 10-21-02 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by jasonr114
I have GT2 for the psx and never was a big fan, to much involvment for me, i like games like Ridge Racer where you can just pick it up and play for a few hours, no huge circuity, and a need to race for $$$ and upgrade, so GT3 is not really my thing. i really like mario kart for the n64

I keep reading good things about Rally Sport though.
For FPS's, Xbox is the winner hands down for all the reasons cited above.

For racing games, it's pretty even between the PS2 and Xbox. However, you state that you don't like Gran Turismo which is really the only good exclusive racing game on the PS2 so that makes your decision even easier. Go with the Xbox bundle. You'll get a good racing game in Sega GT2002 for free!
Old 10-21-02, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, unless you would absolutely die for NFS: Hot Pursuit 2, Xbox is probably your best best.
Old 10-21-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
Yeah, unless you would absolutely die for NFS: Hot Pursuit 2, Xbox is probably your best best.
This game is very good too. Too bad the Xbox version got screwed up.
Old 10-21-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yah, definitely go XBox for that. Make sure you try out Hitman 2 as well, it is an awesome game(playing it right now on my PS2).
Old 10-21-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
There's also Timesplitters 2, which is probably best on the Box.

I don't know if this is nationwide or anything, but the Wal-Mart near me has some games on clearance cheap, including PGR for $20. They also have that "Agent Under Fire" Bond game for that price-I don't think it's that great, but it may be worth it for $20.
Old 10-21-02, 10:29 PM

what is supposed to be wrong with the x-box version of nfs: hot pursuit 2? I rented it and, other than it being impossible to play the pursuit mode, i thought it looked/sounded/handled well.
Old 10-21-02, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by warcp
what is supposed to be wrong with the x-box version of nfs: hot pursuit 2? I rented it and, other than it being impossible to play the pursuit mode, i thought it looked/sounded/handled well.
Supposedly the PS2 build of the game is different from the Xbox and GC, and supposedly superior.
Old 10-21-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The fact is, you're not buying 15 games this year, and the most compelling three or four titles right now, with the most compelling five or six in the future is going to sell you.

If FPS is your dealmaker, Xbox has Halo and Unreal Championship, and, someday Perfect Dark. That's pretty tough to tangle with, and, unless Metroid is some kind of a huge factor, it's hard to argue for any console other than Xbox.

However, if FPS is really the biggest factor, you should put the money into upgrading your PC, and skip consoles altogether. No controller can give you the range of movement offerred by a mouse and keyboard. Additionally, most console FPS games run at 30 FPS while hardcore players demand a minimal 60, and TV resolution is limited to 640 X480 unless you have an HDTV and the game supports progressive. And, of course, the availability of user created mods and add-ons is also a significant factor.

Additionally, FPS games like to push hardware as much as possible, and hardware has far surpassed all three consoles. Xbox owners are seeing visions of Doom 3 sugarplums, but if they think the Xbox will run all of Doom's bells and whistles when 5 Ghz Pentium V/Geforce 6 systems are on the market, they're crazy.

Anyway, if you like shooting and driving, and you want a console, one would be remiss in failing to point out the PS2 with its Grand Theft Auto games, Twisted Metal online, and Gran Turismo, which is still the undisputed king of simulation racing.

Xbox's PGR is more of an arcade type racer, so that could be a factor, but the new Need For Speed is supposedly best on PS2.

Of course, if you're one of those people who played Mario Kart for years, the Gamecube merits consideration. The rumor is that the new Kart will be online.

GTA can eat up time, but it's not particularly involved, in the sense that it requires you to commit large continuous blocks of time. You can save regularly, and none of the missions are particularly long, so you could switch it off at any time, and probably never lose more than 15 minutes of gameplay. It's one of those games that you can play for twenty minutes at a time, which is nice.

And there's a lot to do. I finish some games, and think "That wasn't really worth $50." GTA3 is definitely worth the price of admission.

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 10-21-02 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 11:35 PM

Soldier of Fortune 2 also headed towards X box. Don't know if it's been mentioned but doom3 is an exclusive and rumor has it duke nuke em taking 4ever
Old 10-21-02, 11:58 PM

Additionally, FPS games like to push hardware as much as possible, and hardware has far surpassed all three consoles. Xbox owners are seeing visions of Doom 3 sugarplums, but if they think the Xbox will run all of Doom's bells and whistles when 5 Ghz Pentium V/Geforce 6 systems are on the market, they're crazy.
You're showing your ignorance on the subject and lack of understanding of how this works. 5Ghz processors and Geforce6? You're living in a dream world. Carmack has said that they're targeting the Geforce3 card, and that the game will even run on a Geforce1. Do not expect it to be taking advantage of graphical features only available to cards above the GF3 and possibly 4. It just doesn't work that way. They're making a pretty advanced engine, but they can't and won't be maximizing it for the most advanced card on the market. Developers will get a lot more out of a console than they will out of a PC with the same on-paper specs for these reasons, and other reasons with the Xbox due to its hardware architecture.

Carmack himself said the Xbox version will match the full graphical fidelity of the PC version when he confirmed the game for Xbox last August. There's nobody more credible on the issue than him.
Old 10-22-02, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Carmack himself said the Xbox version will match the full graphical fidelity of the PC version when he confirmed the game for Xbox last August. There's nobody more credible on the issue than him.
Question is, was there any influence ($$$) to say that?
Old 10-22-02, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Question is, was there any influence ($$$) to say that?
Umm......no. I think John Carmack values his credibility a little more than that.
Old 10-22-02, 01:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

It will look nice, but definitely won't be above 480p. So even if it matches the graphical special effects of the console, it will be a bit jaggier and not as sharp. Nevertheless, I'll still enjoy it on the Xbox since I don't feel like getting my PC to the level it would take to run it nicely.
Old 10-22-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
You're showing your ignorance on the subject and lack of understanding of how this works. 5Ghz processors and Geforce6? You're living in a dream world. Carmack has said that they're targeting the Geforce3 card, and that the game will even run on a Geforce1. Do not expect it to be taking advantage of graphical features only available to cards above the GF3 and possibly 4. It just doesn't work that way. They're making a pretty advanced engine, but they can't and won't be maximizing it for the most advanced card on the market. Developers will get a lot more out of a console than they will out of a PC with the same on-paper specs for these reasons, and other reasons with the Xbox due to its hardware architecture.

Nvidia will probably release a new card before Christmas. Doom 3 is targetted for Q3-Q4 2003. We'll certainly be two generations ahead in video cards, and processors will have passed the 4 Ghz mark by then, even at the most conservative estimates.

Carmack's engines are always extremely powerful, but scalable, which means that, if you turn down the detail, resolution, and effects, they'll run adequately on mid-range hardware, and we can rate Xbox as equivalent of low-midrange by the time Doom 3 is released. Optimization and the lack of an operating system sucking resources will help some, but an Xbox is still a 733 Mhz P3 with a Geforce 2.5 and 64 MB of combined RAM.

It's probably the most powerful of the consoles, but after this Christmas, the capabilities of the PC will pretty much eclipse all the consoles, and will continue to gain ground until the next round of consoles are released.

But at the high end, gamers with cutting edge hardware will still end up making some detail sacrifices for higher framerates and resolutions. If you believe Doom 3 will look as good on a console as it will on a 3.5 Ghz P4 PC with a GeForce 5 and a gig of RAM, then you're showing your ignorance on the subject and lack of understanding of how this works, to borrow a phrase.

Doom 3 on Xbox will match the fidelity of the PC version... locked at 640 x 480 and 30 FPS, with mid to low settings for several of the detail levels.

The notion that consoles can compete with the PC as a platform for first person shooter games is fundamentally fallacious.

Shooters that are designed from the ground up to accommodate the control, speed, and resolution limitations inherent to consoles can overcome many of the inherent flaws of shooter games on consoles. That's why Goldeneye and TimeSplitters are so much fun as multiplayer games. But a shooter designed for the PC will never be quite as good on a console.

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 10-22-02 at 01:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.