Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

The One and Only DVD Talk Ad Feedback Thread (pop-ups, unders and more) (merged)

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

The One and Only DVD Talk Ad Feedback Thread (pop-ups, unders and more) (merged)

Old 08-02-02, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The One and Only DVD Talk Ad Feedback Thread (pop-ups, unders and more)

I thought I'd start up a dedicated thread here in the feedback forum for people to discuss the ads which appear on DVD Talk.

First off, if you are ever experiencing problems with ads including: loading issues, click through issues, pop up or under issues please email me at [email protected]. Once in a while there IS a problem with an ad and the absolute quickest way to let us know is to drop me an email.

Recently there was an issue with a pop-up ad and while dozens of people posted threads about it, not one actually emailed us to let us know that there was a problem....

As many of you know, since the beginning of DVD Talk, we've always been very sensative to the needs and desires of our membership. We were very late to adopt any form of intrusive advertising, we've limited the amount of adult ads which appear on the site (so that they only appear at night 'after hours'), and the banners from adult companies must meet very rigerous standards. We also are very sensative about overloading people with email and we never sell our mailing lists to anyone else.

I started DVD Talk because I felt there was a real need for a place like DVD Talk for people to come together and talk about DVD, get good information, get access to great deals and not be hastled while they are there. I continue to have this same commitment to the site today.

Part of that commitment is working hard to ensure that we are able to support DVD Talk as a FREE membership community. Basically what that means is, that whatever you would have to pay for a membership or 'subscription' to DVD Talk (which covers the cost of your use of the sute) is paid on your behalf by advertisers. So basically on your behalf I have to go out and find advertisers who are willing to pay to advertise on the site and pay for the cost of members use of the site.

It's a careful balance, and even in tough times (and believe me there have been a few VERY tough times) we've heald fast to our commitment NOT to have members reach into their pockets to pay for our site!

I've stated several times before that I really do also hate pop-ups, I've never liked them on any site and think they are WAY too intrusive and completely over abused across the net. Having said that, this month an advertiser approached us and basically said that we would ONLY get the campaign if we accepted a pop-up ad.

It was a tough call, but we made it, and after the testing that I've done with pop-unders these past few weeks, I figured we could figure out a way to run the campaign without inundating you with pop-up ads.

Basically the first test didn't work and the cookie that was to be set to limit the pop-ups only worked on a few members, but now that's resolved and people should only get the pop-up 1x ever 6 hours.

I can't say we'll never have another pop-up ad on the site again, or some other fairly annoying rich media ad. What I can say is that I am VERY commited to making sure that if we MUST run something like that, that we have the ability to limit your exposure to it. So that OVERALL the experience here is a pleasant one and not riddled with intrusive ads jumping out at you right and left.

As always I welcome your comments and feedback. I take what you have to say VERY seriously and it does have a VERY real impact on what we do on the site.

Thanks for your Understanding and Support
Geoff
Old 08-02-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The One and Only DVD Talk Ad Feedback Thread (pop-ups, unders and more)

Originally posted by gkleinman
Recently there was an issue with a pop-up ad and while dozens of people posted threads about it, not one actually emailed us to let us know that there was a problem....
Apologies. I should have emailed someone (not you ... I know you ignore my emails ). Considering the recent announcement about how unhappy we'd be with regard to a new pop-up campaign, I figured what was happening was intentional and not a glitch. Had I know at the time it was just a coding error and not the new DVD Talk trend, it wouldn't have bothered me. **** happens. No problems there.

Anyway, I'll keep the feedback to myself for now (and there was much rejoicing) as I've had enough "shut up -- your opinion doesn't matter" for one day.

das
Old 08-02-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
I just farted.
Yeah, but you’re forgiven.

There is a considerable difference between “shut up -- your opinion doesn’t matter” and “I disagree.”

N’est pas?
Old 08-02-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: The One and Only DVD Talk Ad Feedback Thread (pop-ups, unders and more)

I'll keep the feedback to myself for now (and there was much rejoicing) as I've had enough "shut up -- your opinion doesn't matter"
I just love that you were able to work both Poo and Farts into two seperate, working metaphors.
Old 08-02-02, 10:09 PM

Re: The One and Only DVD Talk Ad Feedback Thread (pop-ups, unders and more)

Originally posted by gkleinman
Good Lord man! We even have to report problems this widespread to the mods to get their attention. Yikes! What are there roughly 12 mods and not one of them was on all day yesterday?
Old 08-02-02, 10:20 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally posted by codefree
Good Lord man! We even have to report problems this widespread to the mods to get their attention. Yikes! What are there roughly 12 mods and not one of them was on all day yesterday?
I was on most of yesterday and exerienced none of those problems (as I stated in another thread in this forum). Neither of two completely different computers and environments showed the constant popups that people complained of. And believe me, I make a point of bringing up things when even response is slow!
Old 08-02-02, 10:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't get the dreaded V pop-up until today, after all the fuss had died down. During the "once per click" V madness, I didn't get a single V pop-up.

For issues like rampaging pop-ups, the mods can't really do anything anyways, so people are better off just firing an e-mail directly to Geoff.
Old 08-02-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
There is a considerable difference between “shut up -- your opinion doesn’t matter” and “I disagree.”

N’est pas?
Well it's officially "tomorrow" in my neck of the woods, and I'm ready for more arguing ...

For my first trick ... that comment wasn't at all directed at you, buddy. There was, however, a lot of "shut up" going on in these discussion threads, much not directed at me, but others who IMO had valid concerns. Moving on ...

das

P.S. Did you go to bed and wake up French a few days ago?
Old 08-02-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: The One and Only DVD Talk Ad Feedback Thread (pop-ups, unders and more)

Originally posted by joltaddict
I just love that you were able to work both Poo and Farts into two seperate, working metaphors.
I'm a Monkey ... what do you expect?

Anyway, I didn't mean for my fecal metaphors to distract from the topic at hand, which is important for all of us.

DVD Talk Ads: Children's Playtoy or Vicious Backyard Killer? You Decide ...

das
Old 08-02-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no problem with pops at all, assuming it's limited. Once every 6 hours is nothing and I think it's a fair price to pay for having a site like this.

Another thing I'd like to bring up... It's common knowledge that there are pop-up blockers and browsers that disable pop-ups out there so I think it's disrespectful to discuss such things on this site. It's one thing to do it but an entirely different thing to use this site to publicly tell everyone how to circumvent the medium that helps pay for it. I don't know how Geoff feels about it but I think it's wrong.

Anyway, I think the amount of advertising is fine as it is. This site is an invaluable resource and I'm all for anything that keeps it going.
Old 08-03-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Apologies. I should have emailed someone (not you ... I know you ignore my emails ). . .
Hey! I've had to email him over some things also, and he just completely ignores the emails.
Old 08-03-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Strange. I emailed him about the prospect of duking it out with das in the new thread, and he got back to me fairly quickly.

Old 08-03-02, 11:57 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Here's a really good article on the state of 'net advertising ... in short ... pop-ups and "rich-media" aren't going bye-bye ...

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/s...ads.3ee02.html
Old 08-03-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about an advertisers forum? I would think some advertisers would be giddy with the thought of a forum where they can advertise whatever they want, pop-ups and all.
Old 08-04-02, 11:18 PM
Retired

I have no problem with the ads, though I was out of town this weekend and missed the V problems.

I say do whatever it takes to keep the site free without hurting you're pocketbook, and hopefully to make a little profit too.
Old 08-05-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about a sub-forum in each forum that is purely for advertising. These vendors wouldn't be able to say your not running the ads throughout the site.

It would be sort of like those women magazines. They start with 30 pages of advertisements. It's the consumers choice to read them or not. It would be the DvdTalk members choice to go where the advertisements are.
Old 08-05-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth vapoRware •<HR SIZE=1>How about a sub-forum in each forum that is purely for advertising. These vendors wouldn't be able to say your not running the ads throughout the site.

It would be sort of like those women magazines. They start with 30 pages of advertisements. It's the consumers choice to read them or not. It would be the DvdTalk members choice to go where the advertisements are.
<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

And how much would you expect these companies to pay for an ad no one will ever see?

das
Old 08-05-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth the Monkey •<HR SIZE=1> And how much would you expect these companies to pay for an ad no one will ever see?<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>Another plate of poo?*

Seems to me that if we don't tell 'em...

*Deep breath, das. I'm only yankin' yo chain...
Old 08-05-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth vapoRware •<HR SIZE=1>How about a sub-forum in each forum that is purely for advertising. These vendors wouldn't be able to say your not running the ads throughout the site.

<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

And how much would you expect these companies to pay for an ad no one will ever see?

das
Seems to me like advertisers know that most people go past the first 30 pages of ads in magazines yet they still advertise.

Geoff could run multiple banner ads that cycle through the new forum and take turns cycling in all the forums. All pop-ups could be contained in the advertisers sub-forum as well as pop-unders. Someone, somewhere has to set the precedent, why not here?

Do the advertisers explicitly state the ads have to be in a particular place? If not i say why not give it a shot?
Old 08-05-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't it pretty early for the Adult Ads? I thought they generally came on at 11 PM but here it is just after 9 and I'm having big banners trying to sell me Sex Toys in the main DVD Talk forum.

Has there been a change in policy on the Adult ads?
Old 08-05-02, 09:44 PM
Retired

I believe the adult ads have always started at 9 p.m. EST, as the main goal was to have people not get them at work and get fired, and most people are off work at 9 EST (6 pacific).
Old 08-17-02, 01:45 PM
Banned

Okay, the V ad is killing me. I get one on every page I visit and I have cookies turned off. Yuck.

I'm using IE on MacOS X 10.1.5
Old 08-17-02, 03:48 PM
Registered

I hate to say the obvious Surf Monkey, why don't you turn on cookies.
Old 08-18-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I have my cookies turned on and I still get the V ad. It's annoying, but i've learned to live with it. [like I said on a thread that I started...so long as it supports the site]

But, now i'm starting to get OTHER pop ups. Most of them are for Travel sites.

THIS is the one I got a little while ago. I only had one browser window open and I went straight to DVDTalk.com.

What's up with this?
Old 08-18-02, 02:10 AM
Registered

Pop-ups or popunders. Right now there are POP-UNDERS running in OTHER 1x every 12 Hours

If you have your cookies on you WILL still get the V AD but not on every page. More like 1x every 20 or so mins.

What's up with all this? Plain and simple, paying for the site so it can continue to be.

I know the first post in this thread is a long one, but I do encourage people to read it. It explains a lot of what's going on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.