Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Bowie album: Heathen [m-m-m-m-m-mergéd]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Bowie album: Heathen [m-m-m-m-m-mergéd]

Old 05-30-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone heard the new Bowie album, Heathen

Its pretty good I think. A little too mellow, I think. But good none the less.

ANyone else?
Old 05-30-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it when I first got the promo a month or so ago, but now it's just really boring to me.
Old 05-30-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes the mellow could easily translate to boring.
I like Bowie enough to forgive him for his occasional bad album though.
Old 05-30-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But when was his last good one? He played a secret show here in NYC a few weeks ago that I went to, and I was bored to tears. All stuff from the new album, which I have little interest in hearing on my stereo, much less live when I could be hearing so many other, more amazing cuts. Oh well...
Old 05-30-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm actually pretty curious about the final product. I heard a snippet of Bowie covering one of my favorite Pixies songs - "Cactus" from "Surfer Rosa" - that purports to hail from the latest Bowie disc. For that track alone, I'll lay down my $$$.

It'll be interesting to see what other surprises he's got for us.

I believe the "Earthling" album was the most recent to actually generate any sort of heat in the mainstream. "Hours" was a little too introspective and uncommercial.

Last edited by grunter; 05-30-02 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-30-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care what anyone says, Outside (1995) is one of Bowie's best...ever. He may turn out mediocre albums for long stretches but he's got a masterpiece under his sleeve brewing somewhere.
Old 06-09-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heathen - Bowie album out Tuesday

Anyone hear this thing yet? I'll pick it up simply because I love Bowie and will buy anything he puts out, although his last album was pretty heinous.
Old 06-10-02, 09:37 AM

It's incredible!!
He covers the most abosolute greatest love song ever...."Cactus" by the Pixies. He also does Neil Young's "I've Been Waiting for You" (also covered by the Pixies previously). His tunes are fantastic as well.
Old 06-10-02, 09:39 AM

Oh yeah, there are 3 versions:
Regular ~ $14-$16
LTD 2disc set w/ 5 song remixes by Moby, Air, et al.
LTD. vinyl style 12 inch (just a CD inside though)
Old 06-10-02, 09:55 AM

It's actually really good - I was surprised. Nice work, esp. the single with Pete Townshend. Oh, yeah, you can get the limited edition discussed above for $11 at mymusic.com right now...
Old 06-10-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I'm eagerly awaiting mine from amazon. I must be one of the few people that thought his last one "Hours" was decent - very mellow, but solid, and I also think that '97's "Earthling" was his best since "Scary Monsters." This new one's been getting pretty good reviews so far and since I'm inclined to dig almost anything the Thin WHite Duke does anyway I'm sure I'll like it (hey, I can listen to his duet with Mick Jagger on "Dancin' In The Streets" from the mid-80s almost the entire way through!)
Old 06-10-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Limited is $13.99 at Bestbuy / Bestbuy.com with
DISC 2:
<small>1. A Better Future - (Air remix)
2. Sunday - (Moby remix)
3. Panic In Detroit - (alternate take)
4. Conversation Piece </small>
Old 06-10-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although I do hope it's good, if I know Bowie this will inevitably show up in the used bins soon. I'll get it there.

You can always count on some people not liking every single new Bowie album.
Old 06-10-02, 04:14 PM
Banned

New David Bowie album!!!

Heathen

Release date: June 11

Yup, new David Bowie studio album being released tomorrow. Yes, finally.

I'm a huge David Bowie fan. I've been a fan of him for a long time and I've grown up my whole life listening to his music. I like his old stuff and his new stuff.

But this new album "Heathens" is going to be totally different then the new stuff.

I just read a review of this album through Entertainment Weekly (The one with Tom Cruise on the cover) and Bowie had went back to his earlier 60's - 70's rock sound he had long ago. That is so awesome that Bowie had went back to his old style finally.

Bowie had reuinted with his old producer, Tony Visconti for this album. Tony had worked with David way back in the 60's-70's and now they are back together again.

I'm definitely going to pick this album up this week.

I own 4 Bowie albums in my CD collection they are:

Changesbowie
Bowie at the Beeb (Live at the BBC Sessions, the 3 disc edition)
Earthling
Hours....

Just thought I'd give you the heads up for the David Bowie fans in the board.
Old 06-10-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I LOVE BOWIE.

You're right Jepthah I've always felt he was ahead of his time and that's why sometimes his stuff doesn't go over well with fans....(Tin Machine)

I gave a friend the "BEEB" cds for her B-day.

Cool Cover BTW!
Old 06-10-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not one to sell my Bowie CDs even if I hate the album. Of course it's rare for me to hate anything Bowie does. There is always something on every album I really like. I also believe Earthling is the best album he's put forth since Scary Monsters, but then I tend to like his sombre, apocalyptic work better than his dancy top forty hits anyway.
Old 06-10-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find that with bowie, I sometimes have to listen to an album a few times before I really start to love it. I didn't even like Ziggy Stardust the first time I heard it, but by the second or third time I was in love.
Old 06-10-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I gave up on Bowie with the release of "Black Tie White Noise". Not sure why I didn't before that. When he toured in '90 and said that was the end of performing his past hits... well, what was I to do with stuff like "Black Tie"? (not that it was wretched, but not worthy of someone with such an impressive back catalogue).

I haven't heard any of his music since then. That seems weird to me because I own every one of his 70's and 80's recordings. "Hunky Dory" and "Ziggy" are my faves, but I really do like his late 70's Berlin stuff, too.

Anyway, I'm intrigued by what I have read so far about "Heathen".
Old 06-10-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Re: New David Bowie album!!!

Originally posted by Guitar_God

I'm a huge David Bowie fan. I've been a fan of him for a long time and I've grown up my whole life listening to his music. I like his old stuff and his new stuff.

I own 4 Bowie albums in my CD collection they are:

Changesbowie
Bowie at the Beeb (Live at the BBC Sessions, the 3 disc edition)
Earthling
Hours....
Old 06-10-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definition of "Huge Bowie Fan" n. (pron. hee-yooj Boh-Wee phan):

Normal definition is One who owns more than four albums, two of which are greatest hits compilations, and one arguably not that good an album.

I suggest you hie thee to the nearest purveyor of fine music discs and buy the following:

Diamond Dogs
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Hunky Dory

Once you are initiated into the greatness that is David Robert Heywood Jones nee' Bowie as Ziggy (and a bit before and beyond), you should pick up the following:

The Man Who Sold the World
Pin Ups (an album of cover songs from Bowie's favorite artists of the 60s)
Space Oddity (aka Man of Words, Man of Music - more or less).
Young Americans

Revel in the vastly different music styles. Be amazed at the sombre Man Who Sold the World. Be charmed by the cheesy, yet somehow still cool, cover songs on Pin Ups. Listen in awe to the pathos of the hippie mod tunes on Space Oddity. Then groove to Bowie's funky thang on Young Americans.

Now that you're indoctrinated into the World of David Bowie, pick up the following:

Low
Heroes
Lodger

Listen to these in order. They are the "Berlin" years. These albums are quintessential Bowie of the late 70s. They are the pinnacle of his unhappiness and his drug use.

For funzies, you now need to get Station to Station. This is important if you've ever watched "A Knight's Tale". This album is all about Bowie's break up with that freakazoid hose beast he was married to back in the Ziggy days. The whole album is brilliant.

Of course, you should fit Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) into the mix at some point. You can't go through the entire Bowie catalog without Ashes to Ashes and Fashion.

To be a really big fan, you should break down and buy "David Live", arguably the worst live album ever recorded. Yet it is still really good, and has the funkiest breathiest version of Knock on Wood you will ever hear.

Once indoctrinated into the Bowie Religion, you can then go out and get some of the fun pre-fame tunes. You haven't experienced that which is Bowie till you've sung along to "Love you till tuesday", "The Laughing Gnome", and "Please, Mr. Gravedigger".

Of course, there are zillions of bootlegs out there with excellent live recordings. If you can find it, get a copy of "Deranged Pigs", a recording of Bowie's tour with NiN. It's amazing. I love the duet between Reznor and Bowie on Hurt and Reptile.

At some point, you will find yourself buying all the stuff from the 80s, as well. Let's Dance is the best of the lot. Never Let Me Down is okay, and the title track is plaintive, in true Bowie form. Tonight was probably a mistake, but it's worth the price just for Blue Jean, the title track, and Loving the Alien.

We all love the alien.

I also suggest picking up a copy of the Labyrinth soundtrack. Chilly Down is especially good since The Cat from Red Dwarf sings on this song (at least he does in the movie). And you have to thrill to that deep croon when Bowie sings...

Everything I've done, I've done for YOU! I move the stars for no-one!

You also have to get Outside for the sake of completeness.

Tin Machine albums and Black Tie, White Noise are optional, of course.

That should get you started on the path of The True Bowie Fan. Good luck.
Old 06-11-02, 06:06 AM
Banned

Well you can still be a huge fan of a band/artist when only owning 4 albums. It all depends on how much you love that band/artist to be a huge fan, it's not how many albums you own. Get what I'm saying?
Old 06-11-02, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't forget the original version of "Cat People"!

Guitar_God, sure you can be a fan, but it did seem kind of strange to read HUGE fan and then see the 4 albums you listed.
A casual fan could certainly get by on "Changesonebowie" for a long time, but digging in a bit more probably earns the HUGE title.
Old 06-11-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Don't forget the original version of "Cat People"!

Guitar_God, sure you can be a fan, but it did seem kind of strange to read HUGE fan and then see the 4 albums you listed.
A casual fan could certainly get by on "Changesonebowie" for a long time, but digging in a bit more probably earns the HUGE title.
S' Right. A definition of "huge fan" isn't "I own four albums". Huge fan means "I own all his albums, plus a bunch of bootlegs, demo tapes, teeshirts, movies, and see him in concert every time he's out and about." An even huger fan would go so far as to start collecting IGGY POP albums simply because Iggy and Bowie are friends and have collaborated on a few thins. Even huger than that, and you're collecting Lou Reed albums because Bowie played Sax on Lou's "Transformer" album. Huger than that is bringing glitter to his Earthling tour and throwing it in the air when Bowie sings "Hallo Spaceboy" (moondust cover me!). Even huger than that is putting an alien puppet under plexiglas just because Bowie TOUCHED it.

I'd say you were a fan. Four albums is a good start.

Yea, I think that's right.

And the original Cat People is awesome.
Old 06-11-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What foo said! To be a huge fan of someone, you must own their entire canon, plus assorted bootlegs, collaborations with other artists, soundtracks, be willing to travel far outside your home town to see them in concert, etc

I believe foo is at the "raving and drooling" level where DB is concerned Whereas owning 4 of his albums is barely scratching the surface

Last edited by Illinois Enema Bandit; 06-11-02 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-11-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I own about 20 Bowie CDs and two books ("The Bowie Companion" and "Bowie Style") and might consider calling myself a HUGE fan in a room of casual Bowie fans, but I know there's a hell of a lot out there I don't have (including most of his late '80s output). At best I'd say I'm a "BIG" fan. Four albums doth not a "huge" fan make. [/rock snob blathering] In any case, I envy guitar_god because he's got a LOT of Bowie to catch up on -- and you'll have serious fun doing it. Bowie's '70s work is probably some of the finest and most DIVERSE of any artist except for the Beatles -- if you pick up "Space Oddity" and then "Low" you'd never know they were by the same artist. A true rock chamelon.

On a side note, does ANYone know if Bowie's classic "Scary Monsters" era videos will be released on DVD anytime soon?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.