Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Universal Remotes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-02, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal Remotes

Will universal remotes work for a DVD Player Home Theater Combination? Specifically Pioneer HTD-510DV.
Old 06-01-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If there isn't a specific code for the device you have, you can use a combination of codes, if that doesn't work, almost every new universal remote can learn the commands from your existing remote.

This all depends on how sophisticated you want to get, you can go from $9 to $900 on universal remotes.

I recommend visiting Remote Central at http://www.remotecentral.com for some unbiased reviews and some possible great deals.
Old 06-02-02, 11:35 AM

bfrank since you know so much about the Pioneer 510 than tell me what remote will you use because I can't find a remote that controls an all in one home theater system for under $30.
Old 06-03-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Re: Universal Remotes

Originally posted by navajo
Will universal remotes work for a DVD Player Home Theater Combination? Specifically Pioneer HTD-510DV.
I highly recommend the All For One Cinema 7. Runs about $40.00 at BB (though they run for $30.00 from time to time).

It is a GREAT remote to start with. You can find lots of info on the net, and lots of codes for specific equipment/features. It is also a learning remote.

This is a great remote to "introduce" you to the world of remotes. It may be all you ever need or want. Or it may show you what add'l features you want in a remote. Lets you learn without spending a lot of money. Here is a link that talks about it and the sister product from RS.

All For One
Old 06-04-02, 10:30 AM

I will check out the remote but my question still is will it work on my DVD player, Home Theater System. If so what will I use, the DVD button or the reciever button.
Old 06-04-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up a one for all univeral remote at Wal Mart for about 15.00. It controls the reciever, DVD, TV, etc. It also features a Home Theater button which allows you to program several functions together so you can control your DVD and Reciever without switching back and forth. It's similar to the cinema 7 but cheaper. I can't find it on their website for the life of me though. It's a great remote that can control several things under one button.
Old 06-04-02, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally posted by navajo
I will check out the remote but my question still is will it work on my DVD player, Home Theater System. If so what will I use, the DVD button or the reciever button.
You may just have to pick one up and try it. The One for All web sites lists several codes for Pioneer receivers. However, it does not break it down to a receiver/dvd combo. You might head over to the remote central web site mentioned before. Check their or on their forum.

Many LEARNING remotes can learn anything from another remote. But it is usually much easier and saves time and memory if there is a pre-programed CODE for your piece of equipment.
Old 06-04-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you want a great remote go with the MX-500. You can pick it up for $115.00 at this site http://shop.store.yahoo.com/surfremo...theatmasm.html . Just to let you know.
Old 06-07-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The All-for-One can handle it. You can assign individual devices to different device buttons (using preprogrammed codes), the map the controls you want to a single 'bank' (so you rarely, if ever, have to switch between 'tv' and 'cable/sat' and 'dvd' and 'vcr' etc.). Volume can control the receiver, channel up/down for the cable/sat box, vcr controls for the vcr, cursor controls for the dvd (or use the 'dvd' button for control of all dvd functions), a few options for changing inputs, etc. Plus you can define macro buttons to, say, turn all components on or off with a single button, or turn on the dvd and switch input to the dvd player with a single button. You can even assign functions to buttons that are not on the stock remote if codes are available! Best bang for under $30.