Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think we will see a Pikmin sequel? (post ideas for it here)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got around to finishing this game, and I loved it. It was way too short, but it was very refreshing to play a game with a new approach and original gameplay.

I want to see a sequel with more hours in length, as well as some cool multiplayer options. I was thinking that one cool idea for Pikmin multiplayer would be to be able to build up rival armies of Pikman against up to four players and try to take over a map with them. There could be different pikmin to perform various functions that an army would need to take over a land mass.

Did any of you guys enjoy this game (while it lasted) as much as I did... AND do you have any thoughts on what you would like to see in Pikmin 2 ?
Old 05-10-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the game, too.

How about for a sequel: The captain makes it back to his planet and the pikmin follow him. But when he gets back, a lot of the cities have been messed up because of an earthquake or some aliens came and blew everything up. You could use the pikmin to put the cities back together while defending them from other baddies or other evil aliens.

Personally, I'd like to see some flying pikmin.
Old 05-10-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thats a pretty cool idea tofubomb! I think it would be cool to see Olimar's planet, the stories he tells about it sound like it would be a neat place. I also loved this game and would like a sequel, but I don't know if it'll ever happen. Here's my idea, originally my idea was for this to happen on Olimar's planet but tofubomb already thought of that , so here's another one:

After making it home and relaxing for a bit, Captain Olimar decides to take his family on vacation to a nearby planet. When he gets there he finds that Pikmin have already inhabited the land. After enjoying the sights of the planet for a few hours, he goes back to his spaceship only to find out......that it was destroyed!!! Hearing a quick rustle in the bushes, he dashes through the bushes and catches a glimpse of....a Dark Pikmin (black color) running off as the sound of an hideous cackle fills his hears.

After further investigation, he discovers this new breed of Dark Pikmin have been attempting to take over the resources and land from the Pikmin. Once again, Olimar takes up the whistle and commands the Pikmin to help them rebuild their village and to get back his ship parts.

In the game the normal blue, red, and yellow Pikmin still exist, but you can also power them up even more and change their shapes by having the eat different colored nectar. For example, when a flower tipped yellow pikmin eats red nectar he sprouts wings and can fly. There will also be 2 brand new species of pikmin, purple and white. Purple pikmin can burrow through the ground and white pikmin are actually used for building structures in the village and defending. Aside from the normal variety of dangerous enemies like Bulbors and giant insects, the Dark pikmin are taking over your territory at the same time. They can fight and organize into groups and have 3 varieties. 1) Dark Pikmin with Red flower- Attack with razor claws and fangs. 2) Dark Pikmin with red eyes- When they gaze into your Pikmin's eyes, they will be converted to evil. 3) Dark Pikmin with wings- Has the ability to fly and shoot laser beams. Because Olimar brought his family to the planet, the game will be multiplayer, other characters including Olimar's son, his wife, and his pet.

Thats my idea, I'm interested in seeing what other people think of.
Old 05-10-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The sequel should be more like an expansion pack IMO. All I want is more levels and more challenge. I loved Pikmin the whole way through but I especially enjoyed obtaining the few parts towards the end of the game that required some real problem solving and strategy. I think if too much is changed and too many new features added (like crazy new Pikmin) the balance of the game will get screwed up.
Old 05-11-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of Nintendo putting their resources into sequel lets get some new games not rehash games.
Old 05-11-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a lot easier to make a sequel than a new game. Seeing as how Nintendo is one of the world's largest developers, I think they can do both anyway.
Old 05-11-02, 11:15 AM

But who wants it? Most of us GC owners want new games!! I don't want sequel crap yet If a sequel does see the light of day, I'm guess it's going to be awhile before we see a Pikmin 2!

anyway....+1 to my post-counter! I need them!
Old 05-11-02, 10:42 PM
Retired

If anyone is sick of the original, I'm offering Tony Hawk 3 (GCN) for it in the trade forum.

That said, there's nothing wrong with sequels, as long as the offer something new. I don't think any of nintendo's sequels have ever been pure rehash. They're usually just as innovative as an entirely new game would have been. Personally I'd rather see the same characters I know and love in new games, rather than Nintendo coming up with new characters for every game.
Old 05-12-02, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by joshhinkle

...I don't think any of nintendo's sequels have ever been pure rehash. They're usually just as innovative as an entirely new game would have been....

Exactly! Nintendo never just puts on a # 2 on a game and then release it with new levels. They would need to create a team of developers to re-innovative a new game. With that being understood.... Instead of using a team for making a sequel…why not just hit out another new game that hasn't been released? We still need DK(hmm wonder if Rare will do it?), Mario Karts and other new games that would bring in a new crowd to the GC owners.

Now don't miss understand, I love Pikmin! I would purchase the sequel. It's just that I would rather experience a different game. Further down the road I'm sure we'll be seeing a Pikmin 2.
Old 05-13-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Well, I can almost guarantee you that we will eventually see a Pikmin 2. I have read in many articles that Mr. Miyamoto really likes his new creation. In fact they even breed a type of plant to look like a pikmin and are selling or marketing it as such.