Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What's Best Buy's return policy on something like this?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I bought an RCA Mp3 cd player about a week ago. I opened it up and used it. The damn thing skips like crazy on CD-Rs. With normal CDs it works fine, but with CD-Rs it's terrible. It also has this problem where if it can't read the cd it starts to play high pitched noises, not unlike when you put a data CD into a car cd player. After reading some reviews after the fact, I hear that a few other people have experienced this problem. Basically what I want to do is to return it and either get credit for a different brand or to get in store credit. But, I imagine they will try to give me another one of the same brand, saying it is policy to exchange for the same item. I haven't actually gone to the store yet, so I'm just wanting some feedback from everyone here on what to expect.
Old 02-23-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a 30 day return policy on that portable CD player. You can get your money back as long as you have your receipt.
Old 02-23-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you are correct when you say they will try to exchange it for the same item. My suggestion is to take a couple of the cd-rs that your player is currently not working with. take them to the store with your reciept and explain the situation. It may be that you have a defective product. Pick out another of the same (if they tell you that's what you have to do) and try it right there in the store. If it doesn't work for them there you shouldn't have any problem exchanging for a different product.
Old 02-23-02, 08:22 PM

As long as you still have the receipt, you should have no problem with exchanging it for a different brand or getting your money back. I bought a dvd player a couple of months ago that I just didn't like after bringing it home. I boxed it back up and returned it the next day for a better model and they (customer service) gave me no grief at all.
Old 02-24-02, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Read the return policy. It's either on the back of the receipt or in a little pamphlet thing that they put the receipt in. Last I checked, I think only opened DVDs/software can't be returned (they can be exchanged only for the same item). I don't think that restriction applies to anything else.
Old 02-24-02, 12:38 PM

As long as you have the receipt and it's w/in 30 days and you have all the packing materials, you shouldn't have any trouble returning it for a refund or exchange. If they give you trouble, ask for the manager.

Here's the return policy, from the back of a Best Buy receipt:
"-Your original receipt is required and a valid ID may be required for all returns, exchanges, price matched and warranty repair services.
-We accept returns & exchanges 14 days from the date of purchase on Computers, Monitors, Printers, Notebook Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras and Radar Detectors.
-A 15% restocking free will be charged on returns or exchanges of any opened notebook computer, camcorder, digital camera or radar detector, unless defective.
-We accept returns & exchanges 30 days from the date of purchase on the remainder of our merchandise.
-Exceptions to the 30 day policy include: opened Computer Software, opened Videos, opened Video Games and opened Music. You may EXCHANGE these items for the same title if the original is defective. We do NOT accept returns on these items if opened and non-defective.
-No refund on labor or installation services.
-If any item is returned with any of the original package contents missing, the full purchase price will not be refunded.
-Refunds on cash purchases over $250 and check purchases over $100 will be issued by check from our corporate office within 14 business days of return.
-BestBuy.com return and exchange policy may vary slightly from in-store policies. Please see BestBuy.com for complete details.
-See your local Best Buy store for further details."

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I find it interesting that they take stuff back without a receipt and give you store credit, but when you have a receipt and it's over 30 days, they say they can't do anything for you. I returned a bunch of DVDs in December and January w/out a receipt and got credit. But last week, I went to return a DVD for which I had the receipt, but it was a few days past the 30 and the guy said he couldn't take it back or give me credit. Maybe they were just more lenient because of the holiday period, but it would be nice if they were consistent. Seems there's also some luck based on which customer service rep you get.
Old 02-26-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by T-rex

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I find it interesting that they take stuff back without a receipt and give you store credit, but when you have a receipt and it's over 30 days, they say they can't do anything for you. I returned a bunch of DVDs in December and January w/out a receipt and got credit. But last week, I went to return a DVD for which I had the receipt, but it was a few days past the 30 and the guy said he couldn't take it back or give me credit. Maybe they were just more lenient because of the holiday period, but it would be nice if they were consistent. Seems there's also some luck based on which customer service rep you get.
Had to have been a holiday thing. The store (individually) can at their choosing "let things slide" on a case by case basis. But when they need to they can and will enforce their return policy. And if anybody cares, the meanest attitude doesn't get you what you want anymore. Try being civilized at any customer service area and see what you get. You might be surprised.