Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best Video Game Magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-02, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Video Game Magazine?

I am wanting to get a subscription to a video game magazine but I am so far out of the loop on which one is the best (last one I got was Nintendo Power and it was close to 10 years ago). I have every console so I would like one that covers all areas (doesn't have to do PC gaming). Any ideas. Also where is the cheapest place to subscribe to one of these. Thanks
Old 02-14-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your best bet is probably Electronic Gaming Monthly. There was recently a link to get a free 1 year subscription. Look through this forum to find it...can't beat getting this magazine free for a year.

It covers all consoles and they are usually pretty critical with game reviews. They have a "we wait until the final version is given to us" attitude in reviewing (i.e. they don't do a review on a beta copy). This is just my opinion though.
Old 02-14-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the two main multi console mags are EGM and Gamepro, and between the two, there's no contest - EGM wins hands down.
Old 02-14-02, 11:02 AM
Retired

EGM is definitely the best. I've had a subscription for several years and have always been pleased. They are completely unbiased. They aren't afraid to trash games that suck, they don't cave into advertising pressure at all. I remember a few years back when Acclaim pulled their ads because EGM was trashing all their crappy games. They didn't flinch, kept trashing the games and eventually Acclaim started advertising again. EGM also has some good features each month, in depth behind the scenes type things on big games, articles on the Digipen game school etc.

Plus it doesn't cover PC games which was one of your desires, and a requirement of mine as well as I have zero interest in PC games.
Old 02-14-02, 11:37 AM

I like Game Informer much better than EGM or GamePro.
Old 02-14-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by T-Wolves
I like Game Informer much better than EGM or GamePro.
Are you a writer for them? I'm just asking because that magazine is from this state.
Old 02-14-02, 09:21 PM

PC Accelorator.
may it Rest in Peace.
Old 02-14-02, 09:46 PM

Next Generation (R.I.P.)

none of the current mags are decent, even Imagine's system specific mags have become too "fanboy-ish"

all I read now is Gamespot
Old 02-14-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Buy every back issue of PC Accelerater and you'll be set for life.
Old 02-15-02, 01:00 AM

Next Generation was one of the best multi-platform gaming mags out there. Unfortunately, there were too many articles and not enough pictures, and it's readership dwindled. Now the next best thing is EGM, which is not even half as good as Next Gen. And GamePro is just, well, it's good if you've got a pet bird and need to line it's cage. EGM has gotten better, but still nowhere near Next Gen. I think I preferred Next Generation to Next Gen.
Old 02-15-02, 01:00 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

EGM no contest

todd
Old 02-15-02, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by tor_greg
Buy every back issue of PC Accelerater and you'll be set for life.
I did this and it was damn expensive...

PCXL-4-LIFE

Seriously - no magazine period is as good as PC Accelerator was. I've been trying Gamepro and EGM and I personally think they both stink. XBox Magazine sucks too. Only magazines I like are Maximum PC (which sometimes gets on my nerves), PC Gamer (which always gets on my nerves, but CGW sucks donkeys so...), and PC Accelerator (R.I.P). Someday they will come out with a good games magazine again...
Old 02-15-02, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by AgtFox
Are you a writer for them? I'm just asking because that magazine is from this state.
Nope. I'm sure that kind of job pays peanuts (even though the fringe benefits must be sweet), and I'm probably way too old (40) and too well-educated.

I never thought much of Game Informer until about a year ago or so, when they changed their format. Now the mag seems thicker, and has better screen-shots and more coverage of new-and-upcoming games.

Check it out for yourself. I don't think it is shrink-wrapped on the news-stands like EGM and GamePro.
Old 02-15-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Next Generation was great until they went Next Gen. PCXL was excellent as well.

For some reason I got an issue of some new magazine "GameNow" in the mail a couple days ago. What a steaming load, why does the industry bother to put out new, horrible mags while letting their good ones rot?
Old 02-15-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

EGM and Xbox is all I read, EGM is my favorite.
Old 02-15-02, 06:08 PM

EGM easily stomps all over GamePro and Game Informer. (Then there's Dave Halverson's new games/lifestyle magazine, Play, which anybody would be a fool to subscribe to after GameFan and Gamer's Republic.)

It's just sad that there are just three dedicated multi-format console magazines. How is that even possible covering an industry this large? Even competing with instant news access from internet sites, the market's got to be wide open for a high-quality, Next Generation ('95 through '99)-style startup.
Old 02-16-02, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EGM and Gamepro are the best multi-console gaming mags. Game Informer has some ok stuff but its layout and organization of its magazine is just sukekekeke. If your 5 years old then get Gamenow
Old 02-16-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EGM was crap compared to Next Generation.

I rank them like so:

Next Generation(No Longer with us)
Tips and Tricks(Love their Cool Stuff Section)
EGM(Sushi X is ghey)

That's it for now.

I used to subscribe to all of the mags like:

Nintendo Power
Game Players
Game Fan
Game Pro

EGM used to be great back in the early 90's but I personally don't like the editors work.

JC
Old 02-16-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshhinkle
EGM is definitely the best. I've had a subscription for several years and have always been pleased. They are completely unbiased. They aren't afraid to trash games that suck, they don't cave into advertising pressure at all. I remember a few years back when Acclaim pulled their ads because EGM was trashing all their crappy games. They didn't flinch, kept trashing the games and eventually Acclaim started advertising again. EGM also has some good features each month, in depth behind the scenes type things on big games, articles on the Digipen game school etc.

Plus it doesn't cover PC games which was one of your desires, and a requirement of mine as well as I have zero interest in PC games.

EGM for me also....I have tried many other mags over the years(and I do mean years) and none compare to EGM in my opinion. I have had an EGM subscription from day one and have always given other mags a shot. My most recent subscription to PSM magazine is about to expire and I will not be renewing this subscription.....just does not offer that much over EGM.
Old 02-17-02, 10:33 AM

I did this and it was damn expensive...

PCXL-4-LIFE
I decided to see if 1-800-PCXL4LIFE would be a phone number where i could purchase back issues. Anyway, im assuming it wasnt since the message went

*ding-a-ling* Get it hot, and wet with the dirtiest girls around *click*.

Anyway, does anyone know where i can purchase back issues?

Thanks

-Maneesh
Old 02-17-02, 01:58 PM

Get Famitsu, it's the only game mag I subscribe to now. =)