Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Price Adjustments?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-28-02, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Best Buy give you money back if something you bought goes on sale soon afterwards? How exactly does that work?

THanks

Finbogg
Old 01-28-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Take your receipt to the customer service desk and they will issue the price difference (I believe you have 14 days after purchase, but it may be 30 days). If you are matching a price of a Best Buy sale, then their registers will know the sale price. if you are matching the sale price of another store, bring in the sales flyer of that other store (you'll get an extra 10% of the difference if it's another store's sale). I've done this a lot, and never had a problem. When something popular is going on sale on Sunday that I know would be in short supply, I'll just buy it for regular price the day before and then just get my price difference later that week

Daryl

Last edited by Daryl; 01-28-02 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-28-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Daryl
When something popular is going on sale on Sunday that I know would be be in short supply, I'll just buy it for regular price the day before and then just get my price difference later that week

Daryl
Thanks for this tip, I will have to try that next time.
Old 01-28-02, 10:00 PM

Be sure to ask for that extra 10% of the difference. If the difference in prices is $10, you'll save an extra buck. Again, they only do the extra % if it is another store, not Best Buy. Sometimes, they won't give the extra 10% of the difference unless you ask them specifically to do so.
Old 01-29-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good job pointing that out Donkey...I got screwed out of the extra 10% during the after christmas rush by failing to point out the employees mistake. It wasn't until I got home that I realized what happened. I was happy with the price match of course, but the idea of losing out on a couple bucks b/c of employee's half-waying it really got to me. They won't get me next time.

The 14 vs. 30 days thing depends on the merchandise you are buying. Generally, computers , cameras(big ticket, high technology stuff) is only 14 days. Movies, video games, cd's, all fall under the 30 day rule. Just bring in your receipt and go to the customer service, along with whichever ad you plan on using; that'll do the trick.

Last edited by spankyj; 01-29-02 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-29-02, 03:17 PM

Here's my question:

I bought Medal of Honor as soon as it came out at BestBuy for $49.99. I used the PC gamer coupon for 20% off. So my price was $39.99.

BestBuy now has it on sale for $34.99 and Circuit City has it on sale for $29.99 Will I have any problems price adjusting because I used this coupon? Would it be better/easier to try to get a pricematch using the BB or CC sale?
Old 01-29-02, 04:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joshua, how about this... go to Circuit City, buy another copy of MOH:AA, take it and your receipt for your $39.99 copy to Best Buy, and return the $29.99 game for $39.99 back?
Old 01-29-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you shouldn't have a problem just because you used a coupon. You will only get back the diff btw what you actually paid (after coupon) and the sale price I would bet...
Old 01-29-02, 07:49 PM

You get the difference based on the Final price. I had purchased American Pie 2 on sale for $17.99 (reg $19.99). Circuit City had it on sale for $16.99. I got $1.10 back.

One additional question. Once you have pricematched, can you take the item and get it pricematched again? not that i'm trying to be greedy, but 2 weeks ago Circuit City had Grand Theft Auto 3 for 44.99. I bought it for $49.99 at Best Buy. Got my $5.50 back. This week Circuit City had GTA3 for $39.99! thats anoth 5 bucks I could save. Anyone know if this is possible?
Old 01-30-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Joshua.....there shouldn't be a problem. My recommendation is for you to take your original receipt along with the CC ad to Best Buy. If they do bother you about the coupon, politely draw their attention to your total price STILL being higher than the CC price. Make sure you get your price adjustment PLUS 10% of the difference. You could also buy at one store and return at the other, but that is too much of a hassle. Be legit, it shouldn't be a problem.

Tigger...Good question. I'd say try and get it. I've never seen anything explicitly saying that you are limited to one price match per item, so I would definitely try for another $5. If they give you grief, complain till you see a manager, tell him you would have waited to price match if you KNEW that it would be lower, etc. Good luck.
Old 01-30-02, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by spankyj
Tigger...Good question. I'd say try and get it. I've never seen anything explicitly saying that you are limited to one price match per item, so I would definitely try for another $5. If they give you grief, complain till you see a manager, tell him you would have waited to price match if you KNEW that it would be lower, etc. Good luck.
Circuit City will do this... I bought a tv last summer and CC had it on sale the next week, then the following week, Best Buy had an even better sale, so I got it price matched for the first sale, then price matched from the first sale price to the second sale price.

--
Matthew Eagin