Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

GameCube game freeze question/advice.....

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-31-01, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the GameCube freezing during gameplay. It has happened twice to me, once while playing Rogue Squadron II and once now playing Pikmin. I'm using the S-cable for the video signal and neither time was the unit on for an extended period of time.

Should I consider taking the unit back and getting a new one, or is this something I should expect from time to time?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
have you checked the discs to make sure they are scratchless and dust/lint free?
Old 12-31-01, 11:18 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my GC since launch and have Star Wars, Wave Race, Tony Hawk 3, Madden 2002, Super Monkey Ball, and Super Smash Bros: Melee, and haven't had a single problem with it.

As deftones said, check the discs for dust and/or scratches, if they're fine, I'd try to exchange the GC.
Old 12-31-01, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

no problems here. Like stated above, check the games for dust/scratches. then check the tempurature of the room and where you're cube is located. A friend of mine had his cube freeze on him all the time. I went over to check it out and found the problem as soon as I stepped int he roo. he had his cube stacked on his 400 watt receiver. The thing was overheating! Check to make sure it has good ventilation and that its not stacked on anything hot.

If that doesn't help, I would take it back before the return period ends and you are stuck with it or have to send it back to Nintendo.
Old 12-31-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my Gamecube lockup on RL once, but that's all. I turned off the Cube and turned it back on and it worked fine the rest of the day. I've never had it lockup on Pikmin or SMB and I have had the Cube about 3 weeks. If you keep getting lockups it could just be a bad disc. If it happens on a bunch of games then you might want to get a different unit. Lockups will sometimes occur on consoles, but it should be a very, very rare occurance.
Old 12-31-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, make sure the vents aren't blocked either.... make sure there is ample room for ventilation... I've had mine since launch and not a single problem...except a desiretospend money on more games.
Old 12-31-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I had my gamecube lock up two different times. Both times I was playing the baseball game on two player mode, i was the Legends team and my friend was the A's. The first time it locked up in the 2nd or 3rd inning, we restarted and set the same teams and it locked up in the first inning, both lock ups occured when a batter was swing at a pitch. the picture froze and the same tone was played.

i never had it lock up on my other games (Simpsons road rage and tony hawk 3)

daveninja.com
Old 12-31-01, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
My Rouge Leader locked up once when I got to part 3. It was a one time thing though.
Old 12-31-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I never thought about the heat aspect. I'll make sure I check out the disk surfaces as well.

Thanks to all!
Old 12-31-01, 02:59 PM

My GC froze in Rogue Leader too. It froze and started making a weird monotous tone. I tried pushing the buttons on my controller, and nothing happened. So I lifted the lid, hoping the game would tell me to close it, but nothing happened. So I turned my GC off and turned it back on, and kept on playing. I had good ventilationa and everything.
Old 12-31-01, 04:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There is a known software glitch in Rogue Leader that causes it to occassionally freeze up. I've had it happen once in several hours of gameplay (Hoth level). I haven't seen or heard about problems with other games.
Old 12-31-01, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's related to internal temperatures. The first day they were out my friends had their GC for probably 18 hours straight. It locked up at one point toward the end.
Old 12-31-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since I got Super Smash Bros. Melee the system has been practically the entire day and night but I've never seen it freeze up. Yesterday it was going for 8 hours straight.

If you put your system on the carpet it might block the vents or absorb and keep extraneous heat. A tip I learned awhile ago when the PSX had its skipping problems was to put a magazine or hard surface under the gaming console so the carpet doesn't congest the air vents. I'm actually using Nintendo Power magazines that I get for free under all my systems (except my PS2 which is vertical) and I've only ever had a rare occasion with lockups but it seems to work for me.

To the original question, I think you should exchange your gamecube Fernana as it shouldn't lock up that much, its not normal. If that doesn't work its probably some sort of glitch from the powers that be .
Old 12-31-01, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
There is a known software glitch in Rogue Leader that causes it to occassionally freeze up. I've had it happen once in several hours of gameplay (Hoth level). I haven't seen or heard about problems with other games.
Makes sense. Mine froze just after I had gotten the upgrade on the Hoth level, and I was fighting TIEs to finish the mission.
Old 01-01-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chaos

Makes sense. Mine froze just after I had gotten the upgrade on the Hoth level, and I was fighting TIEs to finish the mission.
That's the same place where mine locked up as well. I was fighting TIEs on Hoth and it froze.
Old 01-01-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Rogue will cause this thing to lock up..but other than that, most Cubes aren't being reported problematic
Old 01-01-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
It is because they are having some trouble adapting the speeders for the cold.
Old 01-04-02, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts
Originally posted by Outlaw
I'm actually using Nintendo Power magazines that I get for free
a little off topic but, are you keeping something from us? a deal on a free mag that you are not sharing? or is your brother's sister's husband's grand aunt miyamoto's half sister so you get the magazine for free.
Old 01-04-02, 01:44 PM

I've played my gamecube extensively since I purchased it about a week ago and last night I had my first problem with it. I was in the middle of playing Tony Hawk 3 and it shut off. I could hear the engines whiring, but the laser didnt appear to be reading the disk and the power light was not on. I went through the instruction booklet, and i was able to get it working again. My questions is though, has anybody else experienced this problem? Should i return it now for a new one while i still have time? Thanks for you help