Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Reccomendations for a good DVD player?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-10-01, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My roommate wants to buy a DVD player for someone as a gift and asked for my advice. Just wondering if anyone could offer any recommendations for a good mid-level player. I personally have a Toshiba 2109 and have encountered a few problems with it, but other than that, it's my best friend in the world.
Old 12-10-01, 04:58 AM
Banned

I love my good ole, codefree Pioneer DVD 333. Never gave me any trouble. NEVAH.
Old 12-10-01, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I highly recommend a Pioneer ANYTHING. I have a DV-434 and absolutely love it! Plays everything I throw at it with the highest quality I've seen yet. DVDs, VCDs, SVCDs, SeVCDs, SxVCDs, etc. Whether homegrown or manufactured, the discs play wonderfully.

If you have any intentions of playing VideoCDs, then you should avoid Sony, Toshiba, and Apex... they don't play non-DVDs very well. Their DVD playback quality is barely acceptible.
Old 12-10-01, 10:07 AM

Smartt- Does the Pioneer do PAL to NTSC conversion for you?
Old 12-10-01, 12:45 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll second the Pioneer recommendation. But check out AudioReview.com for any problems with any player you're interested in.

I have a Toshiba 3109 that's served me well (except for a problem with some incompatibilities here and there, Dogma SE and the Godfather bonus disc being the worst), and I've bought several other models of Toshibas for friends and family with no complaints, so that's a generally good brand too.

By the way, this is a purely hardware based topic, so I'm moving it to DVD and Home Theater Hardware for you. You should get some very good recommendations there as well.
Old 12-10-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sracer
I highly recommend a Pioneer ANYTHING. I have a DV-434 and absolutely love it! Plays everything I throw at it with the highest quality I've seen yet. DVDs, VCDs, SVCDs, SeVCDs, SxVCDs, etc. Whether homegrown or manufactured, the discs play wonderfully.

If you have any intentions of playing VideoCDs, then you should avoid Sony, Toshiba, and Apex... they don't play non-DVDs very well. Their DVD playback quality is barely acceptible.
I agree with your recommendation of Pioneer, but I do not understand your Sony and Toshiba bashing. They put out some of the better units on the market, and their high end players are truly reference quality. Their DVD playback level is more than acceptable. Apex is a cheap budget player I would never recommend, but Sony and Toshiba are right there with the best of the best.

J