Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

moderator status should be re-dubbed trigger happy

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 09-12-01, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't understand the mods feeling to exert power over everything on this board. i've seen several threads closed and moved for no reason, including a thread i just put up on the dvdtalk forum. it was stating that the new argento disc OPERA had shipped from deepdiscountdvd. there was wonder from people where it was since most places hadn't shipped or gotten it in stock and those that had it were complaining of problems. it was thought there was maybe a recall since it was seen at stores and then missing the next day. i simply made a post that deepdiscount had shipped my dvd, and it was put in the store forum. the reason for posting that my disc had shipped had nothing to do with deepdiscount, it had to do with the opera disc being shipped. i would've put it in a thread about opera if there was one at the top of the dvdtalk forum page, but there wasn't.

i also got a warning from one of the moderators for antagonistic posting style. i pointed out to them that it was technical discussion/argument and that i have never used any name-calling or flaming. i never received a note back from them.

i can't say if it's new people being appointed moderator or not, but this place always seems to be getting more and more strict to the point where it's impossible to discuss anything. the threads that stay open and have the most posts are usually repetitive pointless threads about 'what movie do you want on DVD by 2003?' i only start threads when im really interested in knowing something (i.e. information on a specific title that hasn't been mentioned), have information on a subject, or have a quibble. what is the point of having the forum if things can't be discussed where people are at odds? and what is the point of having a moderator of a forum if they can't recognize what the significance of the post is (obviously the person who moved my thread is not aware of what is going on with the opera disc)
Old 09-12-01, 04:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you email about the most recent thread move?
Old 09-12-01, 04:34 PM
Banned

i didn't e-mail about that because it wasn't that important to me. i was just trying to let people know that the disc was being shipped out finally. the thing that pisses me off more is the e-mail i received for not being able to talk with people in an argumentative manner. i haven't had any other threads moved/closed before, but i see other ones that don't appear to have anything wrong with them
Old 09-12-01, 04:48 PM
Uber Member

It wasn't just argumentative, it was dismissive. We have seen many members with similar posting styles and they often end up getting banned because their abrassive style tends to stir up some of the other members.

Rather than tell people to get thicker skins, we prefer to ask the person making the post to try to adopt a less combative tone. We do this because we'd like to keep you as a member. We've issued similar warnings before because many people don't take into consideration that posting on a mostly text based forum is not like talking to your friends. The members are not going to be familiar with your conversational style and sarcasm and other verbal cues and facial expressions don't translate well.

It's really nothing personal. We're really just interested in trying to ensure the most pleasant and informative experience for as many members as possible.

As for your thread, we traditionally move threads like these to Store forum. If there is a current concern over whether the disc has shipped, then there should be a thread already discussing this situation, and a search will bring it up and you can post the information there. People who are interested in the information will already be monitoring that thread, so it will do just as much good there, and won't take up space for other discussions like a new thread will.

Finally, the question of how much moderation should be done is an eternal one. It's hard to strike a balance, and we will take your current opinion of too much moderation under advisement.
Old 09-12-01, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

mods
Old 09-12-01, 09:25 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
mods
Amen!
Old 09-12-01, 09:38 PM

Re: moderator status should be re-dubbed trigger happy

Originally posted by Tylenol
i don't understand the mods feeling to exert power over everything on this board. i've seen several threads closed and moved for no reason, including a thread i just put up on the dvdtalk forum. it was stating that the new argento disc OPERA had shipped from deepdiscountdvd. there was wonder from people where it was since most places hadn't shipped or gotten it in stock and those that had it were complaining of problems. it was thought there was maybe a recall since it was seen at stores and then missing the next day. i simply made a post that deepdiscount had shipped my dvd, and it was put in the store forum. the reason for posting that my disc had shipped had nothing to do with deepdiscount, it had to do with the opera disc being shipped. i would've put it in a thread about opera if there was one at the top of the dvdtalk forum page, but there wasn't.

...(obviously the person who moved my thread is not aware of what is going on with the opera disc)
I moved your Opera thread based on my previous experience of seeing that all threads regarding a title being shipped are moved to the Store Forum. If a particular store is or isn't shipping their new releases in a timely fashion, the Store Forum is where the discussion of this belongs. I have personally seen the Opera LE in a local store so I knew for a fact there wasn't a recall or lengthy delay. Your thread was not discussing the merits of the DVD so it clearly did not belong in the DVDTalk forum.
Old 09-12-01, 09:43 PM
Banned

Re: Re: moderator status should be re-dubbed trigger happy

Originally posted by codefree

I moved your Opera thread based on my previous experience of seeing that all threads regarding a title being shipped are moved to the Store Forum. If a particular store is or isn't shipping their new releases in a timely fashion, the Store Forum is where the discussion of this belongs. I have personally seen the Opera LE in a local store so I knew for a fact there wasn't a recall or lengthy delay. Your thread was not discussing the merits of the DVD so it clearly did not belong in the DVDTalk forum.
actually, people were wondering why theirs hadn't shipped yet all across the board (as far as i heard, esp. since suspiria shipped 4 days before street date and opera didn't ship till 1 day after). the only place i heard of it being in stock was best buy, and people were reporting that they were taking it off the shelf already.
Old 09-12-01, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Re: moderator status should be re-dubbed trigger happy

actually, people were wondering why theirs hadn't shipped yet all across the board (as far as i heard, esp. since suspiria shipped 4 days before street date and opera didn't ship till 1 day after). the only place i heard of it being in stock was best buy, and people were reporting that they were taking it off the shelf already.

But the point still remains, it was moved because it was in the wrong forum, regardless of the specifics.
Old 09-12-01, 10:04 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: moderator status should be re-dubbed trigger happy

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY

But the point still remains, it was moved because it was in the wrong forum, regardless of the specifics.
have you read what our posts were about? i said there was delay or possible recall in the disc, codefree says he saw it at the store, i said i had not seen it in any stores (and that the store where it was spotted probably had been reported to take them back) and nobody's orders had shipped yet. was just giving everyone the word that they were starting to ship out, and therefore to expect them on the racks and being shipped. didn't have anything to do with deepdiscount, it had everythin to do with the disc
Old 09-13-01, 12:26 AM
Uber Member

Re: Re: Re: moderator status should be re-dubbed trigger happy

My search in the DVDTalk forum only turned up a single thread with many questions about the Opera disc not shipping, and except for one (maybe two) cases, it was a question about DeepDiscountDVD.

I'd have to say that you would have been better off posting it in an existing Opera thread. codefree made the right call.

Finally, it's been discovered that you are a returning banned member and so your posting privileges have been revoked.

Closing thread.