Survivor: David vs. Goliath (CBS) -- Season 37 Thread -- Premieres 9/26/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: David vs. Goliath (CBS) -- Season 37 Thread -- Premieres 9/26/18

Old 09-28-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
Survivor: David vs. Goliath (S37E01) -- "Appearances are Deceiving" -- 9/26/18

David Tribe:

Carl Boudreaux, 41, Truck Driver from Houston, Texas (10th Voted Out, 5th Jury Member)
Pat Cusack, 40, Maintenance Manager from Cohoes, New York (Medical Evacuation on Day 3)
Christian Hubicki, 32, Robot Scientist from Baltimore, Maryland (12th Voted Out, 7th Jury Member)
Bi Nguyen, 28, MMA Fighter from Houston, Texas (Quit Due to Injury on Day 10)
Elizabeth Olson, 31, Kitchen Staff from Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas (6th Voted Out, 1st Jury Member)
Gabby Pascuzzi, 25, Technical Writer from St. Augustine, Florida (11th Voted Out, 6th Jury Member)
Jessica Peet, 19, Waitress from Lakeland, Florida (1st Voted Out)
Davie Rickenbacker, 30, Social Media Manager from Orangeburg, South Carolina
Lyrsa Torres, 36, Airline Agent from Puerto Rico (5th Voted Out)
Nick Wilson, 27, Public Defender from Williamsburg, Kentucky

Goliath Tribe:

Natalia Azoqa, 25, Industrial Engineer from Irvine, California (3rd Voted Out)
Natalie Cole, 56, Publishing CEO from Los Angeles, California (4th Voted Out)
Jeremy Crawford, 40, Attorney from Clover, South Carolina (2nd Voted Out)
John Hennigan, 38, Pro Wrestler from Los Angeles, California (7th Voted Out, 2nd Jury Member)
Kara Kay, 30, Realtor from San Diego, California
Angelina Keeley, 28, Financial Consultant from San Clemente, California
Alec Merlino, 24, Bartender from San Clemente, California (9th Voted Out, 4th Jury Member)
Alison Raybould, 28, Physician from Leawood, Kansas
Dan Rengering, 27, S.W.A.T. Officer from Lake Butler, Florida (8th Voted Out, 3rd Jury Member)
Mike White, 47, Filmmaker from San Diego, California

A vicious cyclone stirs up emotions on the first day on the island, and the "David" tribe tries to take down the "Goliath" tribe.
No thread for this it seems. I didn't get around to watching until yesterday, but didn't find one.

Sucks to have a medical evac in episode one. Must have been one hell of a bumpy boat ride to completely screw up Pat's backs. You'd think the show would do medical screening of contestants and rule out people with preexisting conditions that would easily put them in danger (and if Pat had a messed up back going in that he wouldn't have been cast). At least I'd hope that would be the case.

I think the show clearly set up David tribe to win the first challenge (I'm sure they knew that Christian was a master of slide puzzles and that's exactly the outcome they wanted). When I saw another slide puzzle at the immunity challenge, I thought the fix was really in but David tribe was just in too big a hole to come back on the puzzle.

So now hidden immunity idols are placed under rocks with colored string wrapped around it? I guess the flashing neon arrow signs are what's coming next.

Being a wrestling fan, I was looking forward to seeing how John Hennigan does. Who was that tribe-mate who was yelling at him during the challenge? That guy deserves to be taken to Slam Town! I want John to at least make it to the "loved ones" visit ... and hopefully his fiancee Taya Valkyrie is his choice:

Last edited by brainee; 12-13-18 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-28-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Survivor: David vs. Goliath (S37E01) -- "Appearances are Deceiving" -- 9/26/18

I'd find it funnier if his loved one was Mizanin.

Felt bad for Pat. Dalton Ross talked about those boat trips and how they can be dicey. Plus, all of the contestants are blindfolded since they don't want any communication on the boat and thus not on camera. So rocky weather, and you can't see where you're going.
Old 09-28-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Survivor: David vs. Goliath (S37E01) -- "Appearances are Deceiving" -- 9/26/18

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I'd find it funnier if his loved one was Mizanin.
Since Taya and Miz are active wrestlers in major promotions they might not be able to get away to be John's loved one. But you know Joey Mercury isn't doing anything!
Old 09-28-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I was reading they had a 15 mile boat ride through the remnants of a cyclone. Seems lucky more were not injured.

We really should just make this a season thread instead of weekly.
Old 09-28-18, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Plus, all of the contestants are blindfolded since they don't want any communication on the boat and thus not on camera. So rocky weather, and you can't see where you're going.
Blindfolded, really? I missed the part about that. I don't get that. I recall seeing they didn't have cameras so they weren't allowed to talk.

I felt bad for the guy with the injury. I sometimes feel worse when you read/hear later that didn't have anything significantly wrong. If I was taken out of the game in a situation like that, I think I'd prefer to have broken something.

Funny clip with the guy from the David tribe rambling on and on during one of his interviews.
Old 09-28-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Since Taya and Miz are active wrestlers in major promotions they might not be able to get away to be John's loved one. But you know Joey Mercury isn't doing anything!
Taya and Hennigan married in June. I don't know if Mercury was there, but Miz, Ziggler, and Ryder were the groomsmen. I guess Ryder could go as the family visit. Nobody would miss him if he was off TV for a few weeks as he's usually off TV.
Old 09-29-18, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Watching also for Johnny Nitro, Morrison, Mundo. Hopefully he can go far. I wonder how episodes before a tribe shakeup? Sometimes those come terribly fast.
Old 09-29-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Kara looks so much like Jodi Arias, that I worry for the survival of her tribe.
Old 09-29-18, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how they tailor the challenges to keep from being physical blowouts.

I like Gabby's nerdy charm.
Old 09-29-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

The other thing is that Probst fancies himself a storyteller, and is there a story at the end of this run if the "David"s are defeated by a "Goliath".
Old 10-01-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
The other thing is that Probst fancies himself a storyteller, and is there a story at the end of this run if the "David"s are defeated by a "Goliath".
It'd be tricky to tell a compelling story around a Goliath as a winner, but there seems to be one or two paths right now with the contestants to make that possible. But really, the likelihood of that happening is fairly slim, since those that are well-off either physically or socially (or financially) are heavily targeted after the merge. And the Goliaths have already been painted as the "superior" crew from top to bottom, regardless of the contestants themselves.

That being said, I bet all that will be pretty irrelevant soon, because this season is begging for a very early tribe switch-up.
Old 10-01-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

That second slide puzzle seemed trivial enough, once you figure out the order it has to be in, that the lead time plus the fact that they probably moved the pieces around faster physically made it so that you didn't need to be a programmer to finish it. Felt bad for the guy on that first leg, he was exhausted and then he had to go untie a knot. Other than that, that challenge seemed like kind of a dud, I have no idea how hard that vault was but it didn't look that challenging.
Old 10-04-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Survivor: David vs. Goliath (S37E02) -- "The Chicken Has Flown the Coop" -- 10/3/18

One tribe will bring balance to their game with an immunity win. Also an early showmance could paint a target on a pair of castaways' backs.
I missed the pre-season discussion that Djariya wouldn't be able to create weekly threads, and a subsequent comment that maybe a season-long thread would be better. I'm creating this thread on the assumption that we'll still do weekly threads and have another discussion about next season.

Personally I prefer weekly threads for readability but understand that the volume of conversation might not make it worth the work.
Old 10-04-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Survivor: David vs. Goliath (S37E02) -- "The Chicken Has Flown the Coop" -- 10/3/

Apparently that storm was quite something.

Strategically the right person probably went home, but certainly it wasn't the right person aesthetically.

I wonder if Gabby was playing weak to bend Christian to her will or if she is really that weak.
Old 10-04-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Survivor: David vs. Goliath (S37E02) -- "The Chicken Has Flown the Coop" -- 10/3/

Goliaths win again, but Davids had a chance if they hadn't completely screwed the pooch on that puzzle. Not sure why Bi had so much trouble with the ladder because she seemed plenty athletic for it, but maybe short arms played a factor?
Old 10-05-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently that storm was quite something.
I know they try to avoid the rainy season for their shooting locations, but I guess time-wise they had to begin shooting in March for this season (which is at the tail-end of Fiji's rain and storm period). Normally I'd disapprove of just giving them tarp, but if it's so wet you can't make fire you don't do much of anything.

I wonder if Gabby was playing weak to bend Christian to her will or if she is really that weak.
Gabby and Christian had the best exchange of the show.

Gabby: Will you play with me? (while making figures in the sand)

Christian: What? ... In the sand?

Yeah Christian ... forget about strategy. Let's have fun in the sand together!

It would be hilarious if Goliath just crushes David in every challenge and this "theme" gets retired quickly. I'm surprised that the immunity challenge wasn't like the one on the boat, with mental ability being weighted more than physical.

Though it's hard to tell from the editing ... maybe the bulk of the time was actually spent on the puzzle (with the ladder and raft part being nowhere near as important as the television presentation made them seem).
Old 10-05-18, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

She's obviously playing him. She'll wreck his game.
Old 10-05-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It would be hilarious if Goliath just crushes David in every challenge and this "theme" gets retired quickly. I'm surprised that the immunity challenge wasn't like the one on the boat, with mental ability being weighted more than physical.
It wouldn't be the first time they'd abandoned a theme quickly. They just need it as a hook to start the season, and even if it's not reflected in the tribes, they can still push it when they talk up the individual players.
Old 10-05-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IThough it's hard to tell from the editing ... maybe the bulk of the time was actually spent on the puzzle (with the ladder and raft part being nowhere near as important as the television presentation made them seem).
Seemed like the ladder and boat parts took about 15 minutes or so to compelte and the puzzle took well over an hour. So the David tribe had plenty of time. It would appear the David tribe isn't good at working on puzzles as a group. Far too many smart folks that are used to working alone. Yeah, this could be yet another forced early merge.
Old 10-05-18, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
It wouldn't be the first time they'd abandoned a theme quickly. They just need it as a hook to start the season, and even if it's not reflected in the tribes, they can still push it when they talk up the individual players.
The theme usually lasts only a few episodes, then they shake up the tribes and it's forgotten.
Old 10-06-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Christian is Daniel Jackson from Stargate SG1.
Old 10-12-18, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Survivor: David vs. Goliath (CBS) -- Season 37 Thread -- Premieres 9/26/18

I'm officially bailing on this show supporting weekly threads anymore

My favorite part of this last episode (Episode 3, "I Am Goliath Strong") was the discussion between Gabby and Christian about the logistics of Slamtown.

Do you become a citizen of Slamtown by being slammed or slamming people?

What are citizens of Slamtown called? Slamtonians?

How did John become Mayor of Slamtown? Was it an election, or was he just better at slamming than everyone else?

BTW, if you watched the previews for next week:
Spoiler:
tribe swap!

Last edited by brainee; 10-13-18 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I was meaning to do a weekly thread on Wed, then on Thu, then I kind of forgot about it, so I figured "rest of season thread" would be the way to go. Thanks for thinking the same and actually acting on it.

That said, I haven't watched this week's episode (partly why I haven't done a thread) so I'm going to skip most of your post above.
Old 10-13-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Natalia is pretty damn hot. She is way more attractive on the show than her pic in the op.
Old 10-13-18, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

A little sad to see Jeremy go, though he wasn't going to last long. I knew it was going to be him when they showed Mike give a deep sigh before writing a name down.

For next week, it's hard to be surprised that they're switching things up. But it does seem to happen earlier and earlier. In the future, maybe we'll see them abandon the theme in the opening episode.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.