DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Print Wikipost

Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Old 11-25-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got really tired of the threadcrapping in the previous thread, so here's a new one. For those of you who were posting actual Amazon sale prices in that thread, my thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Background stuff for reference:

Link to previous thread.

Here are some links to various useful sites for tracking Amazon prices. Some of these have been suggested by numerous people over the last five threads. I list the earliest post of which I became aware. The ones I find most useful:
Originally Posted by flashburn
I prefer the one at Blu-ray.com. It updates constantly and has mouse over graphs showing previous prices.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/deals....ll&country=usa
That link lists all recent price drops in order. The variant I prefer is this one: New Lowest Prices.
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
... just bookmark www.cinemasquid.com
These variants may be useful: Amazon list sorted by price
Amazon list sorted by size of discount

Another site, mentioned by several here, which is useful for checking price history is camelcamelcamel. A Google search will come up with a number of other sites that also specialize in tracking Amazon prices. An advantage of camelcamelcamel, and other such sites, is that you can look up the price history for things other than DVDs/BDs, for example, a Blu-ray Disc player, CD, book, and so forth.

That should be enough resources to get people started.

Newcomers, please don't be reticent about posting good Amazon deals that you happen across. Better a deal gets posted twice than not at all.
Old 12-03-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

Universal Monsters Complete Collection - $79.99
(Not sure if that’s a new low)
Old 12-03-18, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts
Re: Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

It was $70 on the DOTD that re-introduced the set with the 'fixed' disc
Old 12-03-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Outer Limits Season 1 $47.93.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-03-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I love OL, but I believe I paid less than that for the complete series DVD box. Kino's pricing these way to high.
Old 12-03-18, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I love OL, but I believe I paid less than that for the complete series DVD box. Kino's pricing these way to high.
The Blu-rays are indeed a lot more expensive. If they don't sell out a cheaper complete box set will probably happen at a significantly lower price.
Old 12-04-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

I know I paid less for the DVDs (both the original releases and the Aussie SS disc box set). That said, the BR looks superb and sound very good.

There's a small video glitch in a S1 episode (that Kino refuses to admit is there in spite of several people pointing them to the precise spot) and a major audio issue in "Soldier" (a S2 episode) for which they're supposedly going to issue a replacement for (in spite of originally saying they'd not do such a thing). Supposedly as it's not official (yet?) but cited by a couple of sources.

I purchased it on BR as it's a top 10 favorite show - but, like you, I feel they're a bit overpriced. The packaging sucks (digipak with slide-under overlapping disc holders) and the booklet omits basic information (what disc an episode is located on). Still... the video looks very good. Not Twilight Zone good, but much, much better than the DVDs.

FWIW, the current price for S1 is the lowest it's been on Amazon.
Old 12-05-18, 07:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
I'm annoyed Walking Dead season 8 has been under $15 multiple times now but 7 is stuck at $30+.
I'm a little concerned about the WD#8 that is being offered. If you look in the text/description it says disks only. No cover art/no digital code...
Old 12-05-18, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by nemein
I'm a little concerned about the WD#8 that is being offered. If you look in the text/description it says disks only. No cover art/no digital code...
Yeah, that's more scary than the entire season itself.
Old 12-06-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

If you have Prime, Check to see if you are eligible to get $5 off $25 using Amazon Assistant, need to install it if you are.
Amazon Amazon

Says new Amazon Assistant users:
This offer is Prime exclusive and only valid for new Amazon Assistant customers.

As a first time user, you can get $5 off your next $25 order. Just:
1.Click the Amazon Assistant icon in your browser.
2.Click through the promotional card to redeem credit.
3.This card will take up to 7 days to appear after installing.
4.Shop for physical goods sold by Amazon.com

Shop by clicking through Amazon Assistant, and use your $5 credit by January 8, 2019, on any $25 order of physical goods sold by Amazon.com. Look for the discount at Checkout

I couldn't get it, but on a different browser and my wife's account I got it.

If this link doesn't work, click on the Amazon Prime logo in the upper left corner and it will be one of the top banners scrolling by.
Old 12-06-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein
I believe I may have purchased one of those over BF. I was surprised when I opened it that there was no digital copy. But when I looked closer and the package and online listing it was my fault for not noticing that isn't didn't advertise it as coming with the digital copy.

And now looking around, I'm only able to find one version that states it comes with the digital copy. At Wal-Mart! Even the Best Buy Exclusive version doesn't list the digital copy.
Old 12-06-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I believe I may have purchased one of those over BF. I was surprised when I opened it that there was no digital copy. But when I looked closer and the package and online listing it was my fault for not noticing that isn't didn't advertise it as coming with the digital copy.

And now looking around, I'm only able to find one version that states it comes with the digital copy. At Wal-Mart! Even the Best Buy Exclusive version doesn't list the digital copy.

Odd, but true.

If you have done VUDU Mobile Disc2Digital, this is one of the season that is eligible HDX for $2 I think.

There are only a few season D2D eligible, but this is one of them at least under UPC 0031398285489

Black Sails 1-4 Bundle at one point was $2 though it may be $5 now
Ash vs Evil Dead S3 (and I think the 1-3 bundle)
Terror S1

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-06-18 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-06-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey

I understand the volatility of including messaging on the packaging, and that a copy might sit on a store's shelf for years, but I hate it when DC isn't clearly stated. I blind-bought a season of Outlander, and it did include DC, fortunately.
Old 12-06-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The issue I used to run across is when the slipcover banner would list things that the artwork on the case within did not. So once the slipcovers are gone, or taken off by the retailer, there was were times where it was total guesswork on what was included or not. Figuring out if something was a BD/DVD or combo pack was often possible to figure out just by weight, but digital codes was not.
Old 12-09-18, 06:34 PM

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Mummy Legacy Collection - $12.99
Amazon Amazon

WolfMan Legacy Collection - $13.99
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-09-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
I paid Amazon $2 more for The Mummy on BF.
Old 12-09-18, 10:04 PM

I paid Amazon $2 more for The Mummy on BF.
almost makes me never buy anything in the first year of release. I paid $24.99 for each 🙂
Old 12-10-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

almost makes me never buy anything in the first year of release. I paid $24.99 for each 🙂
I paid ~$15 each for Dracula & Frankenstein, ~$20 each for the Wolf Man and Mummy, and ~$25 each for The Creature and Invisible Man. ALL during release week. While I'd have loved to have saved some coin, I've been enjoying them all this time. I feel I can say with some resolve that I'll not be purchasing any of these titles again (and I've purchased some up to 7 times).

But, yeah. It never fails that titles I think might go OOP and command high prices after a year or so never to OOP and fall to dump bin prices while the ones I pass on thinking I'll pick it up later quickly go OOP and command stupidly high prices. I've resigned myself to just purchase something I want when I see it's for sale at a price I'm happy with and not regret the purchase when a year later, my copy still unopened, I find it at a bargain price.
Old 12-10-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I paid $15 for 3 of the sets and $19 for Frankenstein at release or within a month.
Waiting on Inv man and Creature just because I rather have the separate packages at this point.

plus $50 for the UK Monsters set when it first came out in 2012 -- I think it's been $20 since then, but waiting 3-4-5 years to save a few dollars just doesn't work.
Old 12-10-18, 04:22 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

All of the Black Friday / Cyber Monday Blu-rays I ordered from Amazon that said delivery would be much closer to Christmas or even after Christmas (Black Panther) have arrived over the last few days!
Old 12-10-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Yer on tah something, buddy!
Old 12-10-18, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by hariseldon
I think I paid $15 for 3 of the sets and $19 for Frankenstein at release or within a month.
Waiting on Inv man and Creature just because I rather have the separate packages at this point.

plus $50 for the UK Monsters set when it first came out in 2012 -- I think it's been $20 since then, but waiting 3-4-5 years to save a few dollars just doesn't work.
I just love these titles to death and can't have enough of the repackagings. I have the
1. UK Monsters set for £9.99
2. the coffin box UK set for £24.99
3. all of the Alex Ross US Steelbooks ($8.99 - $9.99)
4. the Zavvi exclusive Mummy and Dracula steelbooks for £6.99 each
5. the US Legacy collections (excluding Creature and Invisible Man) - $24.99 each
6. the first individual releases of the legacy DVD sets with the cool green packaging (one where the discs rotted)
7. the Monster Legacy Gift Set: (Frankenstein / Dracula / The Wolf Man) - sold this for a pretty penny a few years ago
8. the 75th anniversary Digipack Dracula DVD (love the sturdy, packaging)
9. 'Glow in the dark' slip edition of Dracula (from a bluray.com seller for $5)

OCD ? Dunno. Waiting to complete the
1. 'Glow in the dark' slip versions of all the remaining titles for a good price
2. Legacy sets of 'Invisible Man' and 'Creature'

Will skip the complete 30 disc set
Old 12-10-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I paid ~$15 each for Dracula & Frankenstein, ~$20 each for the Wolf Man and Mummy, and ~$25 each for The Creature and Invisible Man. ALL during release week. While I'd have loved to have saved some coin, I've been enjoying them all this time. I feel I can say with some resolve that I'll not be purchasing any of these titles again (and I've purchased some up to 7 times).

But, yeah. It never fails that titles I think might go OOP and command high prices after a year or so never to OOP and fall to dump bin prices while the ones I pass on thinking I'll pick it up later quickly go OOP and command stupidly high prices. I've resigned myself to just purchase something I want when I see it's for sale at a price I'm happy with and not regret the purchase when a year later, my copy still unopened, I find it at a bargain price.
I purchased all 6 dvd sets week of release. I purchased the 8 film blu set from the UK on sale last year. I've now purchased 3 of the Legacy blu sets. I though I only did this with music..........
Old 12-11-18, 07:43 AM

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

This thread is really out of whack, it says there's 347 pages but clicking on 346 or 347 just takes you to the actual last page 345. I'm guessing it's got to do with deleted posts, is there someway that can be 'refreshed' so it knows the last page is 345?
Old 12-11-18, 08:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
This thread is really out of whack, it says there's 347 pages but clicking on 346 or 347 just takes you to the actual last page 345. I'm guessing it's got to do with deleted posts, is there someway that can be 'refreshed' so it knows the last page is 345?
If you’re not still on newbie page count settings it’s 216/217 pages.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.