Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Sleepy Hollow" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Selected by cwileyy

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2018 DISCUSSION | 2018 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-15-18 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Sleepy Hollow" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

Sleepy Hallow is on the IMDB higher rated horror list so I watched it today as the first time I’ve see it since it was in theater. I love the moodiness and atmosphere in an elaborate retelling/update of the Headless Horseman. Some of the scientific debate could have been more subtly implements; so many of the early scenes are Crane romanticizing the use of science to grimacing statesmen. Johnny Deph does an effective job here but there are times he overdoes his engineered awkwardness. The crimes seem solved in a surprisingly slapdash fashion suggesting the earlier emphasis on science was a red herring (just kidding, we’re supernatural here). The headless horseman was especially well done and nicely choreographed.

Christopher Walken seems like a strange choice to play the reincorporated headsman, given how recognizable he is, but he did a great job.
Old 10-31-18, 09:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Does this film fit the theme day?
Old 10-31-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
The origins of “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” lie shrouded in mystery. Some say that the character of the Headless Horseman was inspired by the German folktale “The Wild Huntsman.” Washington Irving may have heard this tale while traveling abroad. Others insist that the Headless Horseman was based on an actual Hessian soldier who was decapitated by a cannonball during the Battle of White Plains, around Halloween 1776.
http://historydetectives.nyhistory.o...sleepy-hollow/
Old 10-31-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Sleepy Hollow does not obviously occur on Halloween so no. In the planning thread there was some discussion about it being seasonal enough to count, but if your are a purist then I do not recall an obvious Halloween context so you might be disappointed if you 'have' to watch a Halloween specific title.
Old 10-31-18, 05:18 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I love the early American gothic vibe and set design. I really do. There aren't enough books/movies set in that era. I like Johnny Depp in this. But it gets so overwrought and action-movie esque. Hollywood just isn't happy unless there's 45 minutes of the equivilent of car chases. That stuff always bores me. But overall, I was happy to see it again and it does feel "Halloweeny" to me. Enjoyed the vibe.
Old 11-01-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I like Sleepy Hollow but I don't love it -- which I should since I enjoy gothic horror. I forgot about Christopher Lee in the beginning so that was a pleasant surprise. Such a powerful vocal cadence. You are missed Sir Christopher.

Revisiting this movie I noticed several soon-to-be Harry Potter actors with some Star Wars PT actors thrown in too. Having watched Black Sunday this challenge I saw that influence along with Hammer films. "Now come along Young Masbath!"
Old 11-01-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I had never seen this before, and had stayed away because it looked pretty slick and had modern day pirate Johnny Depp. I was thoroughly entertained, but I felt dirty afterward. Does there always need to be a love story?

Loved seeing Christopher Lee, and the loads of supporting staff on this one. Speaking of Lee and his amazing vocal cadence, I watched the Whip and the Body earlier in the week and the English dub had some other dude doing Christopher Lee's voice. Blasphemy!
Old 11-01-18, 12:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

A little Depp goes a long way, but at the time this came out I liked him, and it holds up as a nice “modern gothic” for me. Great supporting cast.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Sleepy Hollow does not obviously occur on Halloween so no. In the planning thread there was some discussion about it being seasonal enough to count, but if your are a purist then I do not recall an obvious Halloween context so you might be disappointed if you 'have' to watch a Halloween specific title.
I always watch at least one “backup” theme title, but missed that part of the planning thread discussion and was peplexed.