Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Demon Wind" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Demon Wind (1990)

Selected by alyxstarr

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

PRIME VIDEO"><span style=PRIME VIDEO" /> PRIME VIDEO">PRIME VIDEO

SHUDDER

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2018 DISCUSSION | 2018 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-15-18 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-30-18, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Demon Wind" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

In "1931" she drops a crystal, which is obviously a snow globe, and the whole house explodes. Not sure I'll be able to stay up to finish this tonight but that's the sort of thing I've been looking for the whole challenge.
Old 10-30-18, 12:42 PM

Demon Wind was 'so bad it's good' style fun, with metaphysical demons swarming everywhere. It was hard to enjoy at times and hard not to enjoy at others. The influence of Evil Dead is obvious and it has it's own quirky set of rules. The prosthetic effects were cheap but also the kind of practice design that I miss seeing more of and dated in the best kind of way that fit well with the in your face tone of the film, it's not scary it's more of a subdued action film. Demon Window is especially well paced, despite some early set up it hardly wastes time with anything but the demonic. The dream, not a dream, escape, but wait there's a demon ending is so confusing - not that it matters, I think it was a 'happy ending' but mainly will remember there were cheaply made demons everywhere.

I wonder about the poster, is that suppose to be the ending demon?
Old 10-30-18, 01:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

It’s Evil Dead without any of the positives. 2/10
Old 10-30-18, 02:19 PM

I'm not sure I want to understand the hero receiving strange powers at the end, what was that?
Originally Posted by Trevor
It’s Evil Dead without any of the positives. 2/10
I agree but it's interesting to me that 9 years later a film that likely had a better budget to imitate Evil Dead with couldnt cut it. Maybe that's a testament to the artistry of people who craft for love and interest rather than to ape what is popular and score financially. I think the actual Evil Dead remake earlier this decade did well enough so it can be done
Old 10-30-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Decided to pop my head in to get some of the praise for Demon Wind before I pop it in....

Demon Wind will be my 99th film.
Old 10-30-18, 03:10 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I feel like there might be some interesting ideas here, but it's hard for me to get past the cliched script and wooden amateur actors to get into the story. This feels like a script a college kid wrote and he and his friends starred in it. And none of them have talent. Or are attractive enough to be on camera. Except for the big blond kid who plays a total asshole. At about the 60% point.

OMG the kid with one dangly earring, 80's hair, and white jacket.

"You're dead."
"You can't kill what's already dead."
But that's not what he... (sigh)

Ok, done. I'm with Trevor: 1/10. To be fair, I'm not a fan of Evil Dead either and most people love it.

Last edited by jholmes; 10-30-18 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-30-18, 04:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I had fun watching this. The beginning was strong and although it didn't maintain that level, it was a crazy collection of pieces from other horror plots with some nice touches of it's own. Several have mentioned Evil Dead but I also got a strong Night of the Living Dead vibe when the demons were massing to attack the farmhouse. Some of the deaths were pretty creative (killer tongue from a cow skull, turn into a doll and explode) and the makeup was gory and gooey although it did look all the same after awhile. The optical effects were cheesy but the bird egg full of maggots was really creepy. Although it wasn't scary or tension filled this was full of so much weird, silly stuff I couldn't help but have a good time.
Old 10-31-18, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

A lot going on here, and I wouldn't say it was entirely coherent, but I liked it. I actually thought the demons looked pretty good, but the effects just didn't really work for me.

I seem to buy everything Vinegar Syndrome, and I thought this disk looked pretty good. Glad I didn't spend too much on this one though.