Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Lost Boys" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-20-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Lost Boys (1987)

Selected by tarfrimmer

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - DIRECTOR JOEL SCHUMACHER COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2018 DISCUSSION | 2018 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-15-18 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-20-18, 07:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: "The Lost Boys" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

Not on Netflix anymore, but on HBO.
Old 10-21-18, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I enjoyed Lost Boys more this time, it hadn't been a favorite in the past but it hits a lot of the right notes. The aerial first person shots from the vampires and the pumping soundtrack really get the movie going (The Doors When Youre Strange might be the most brilliantly placed song). The beach setting and atmosphere is great. I could probably watch 97 minutes of sweeping helicopter shots over 80s rock pop music and be happy...

...but then The Losy Boys show up... Kiefer Sutherland is a top notch actor, but not great as a tough guy because he seems more sarcastic than intense, and what is 'Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure' doing here? Neither help their crew look like these legendary punks. The brothers' transformation is just too matter of fact, and with these jokers, to seem alarming. It's an ambitious move to introduce the villains first then try to make them more menacing later. They do shine in the reveal scene at the campfire which highlights a strength of Lost Boys, the almost music video style sweeping cameras and faces posing into the camera. I love the head vampire twist but it doesn't really make sense that this crew of 'bad boys' was always just looking for a mommy for their vampire dad.

If anything there's too much going on and not enough setup, it never really feels like we know much about the many characters. The Frong Brothers posing as 'vampire experts' at the local comic book story is great, they're nice comic relief working as an alternate set of 'lost boys,' kids against kids. Star as a potential love interest is also curious but she's mostly set dressing without many lines or gravitas - sort of generic girlfriend.

Isn't it kind of sad they kill all the vampires then it's revealed that they could have only killed the one head vampire, the guy they suspected from the start?

I love the title.

I'm not sure I have it in me to try the alleged sequels.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-21-18 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

Thou shalt not kill
Thou shalt not die 

Watching The Lost Boys a few challenges ago I had forgotten how ubiquitous "Cry Little Sister" was on the radio at the time. A pretty good soundtrack for a movie influenced by MTV and music videos.
Old 10-21-18, 11:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

If I’ve tried any of the sequels, I’ve erased them from my memory. But I really enjoyed this re-watch, less cheesy than I remember.
Old 10-21-18, 08:19 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I've been wanting to rewatch this and was glad to have a reason to do so. I loved it. Looks great on blu ray. As Trevor said, this was less cheesy than I expected, actually quite good. Keifer Sutherland was great and the Coreys. Good effects, good production overall. Thumbs up for me.
Old 10-22-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

I STILL BELIEVE!!!

Loved this movie when I was a kid and enjoyed rewatching it last night.
Old 10-22-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Epic sax guy steals the movie. I'm gonna go oil myself up.
Old 10-26-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

The Lost Boys still holds up for a PG-13 vampire flick. Oiled sax guy is hot as hell. Watching the movie again is a melancholy experience knowing about the Coreys.
Old 10-26-18, 03:59 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I like the lost boys. I am not in love with it. It is an entertaining film and excellent acting, but not a favorite vampire interpretation of mine.
Old 10-28-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Wow. This hasn't aged well at all. I was sort of dreading watching this because in my mind it seemed so dated. I hadn't watched it since probably around that time, and it feels so representative of MTV from that era, with the fashion, the music, the way it was all filmed.

Should we be surprised that a film directed by Joel Schumacher would have an incredibly underdeveloped female love interest; a group of pretty boy vampires; a musclebound, oiled up sax player; and a Corey Haim bathtub scene? Probably not.

Someone mentioned Sutherland being a poor tough guy. The funny thing is he would go on to play the ultimate TV tough guy in Jack Bauer on 24, but I must agree that he comes across as more snotty here. I guess he needed to grow into it. I do really like the performances from Wiest and Herrmann; Wiest can pretty much elevate any material. Feldman was awful, and Haim wasn't much better.
Old 10-28-18, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Should we be surprised that a film directed by Joel Schumacher would have an incredibly underdeveloped female love interest; a group of pretty boy vampires; a musclebound, oiled up sax player; and a Corey Haim bathtub scene? Probably not.
This was one of my favorite movies growing up. My babysitter had it on VHS and I would watch it on a weekly basis. I'm 32 now and when I revisited it on Netflix a couple of years ago the homoeroticism hit me like a fabulous freight train. Corey Haim in the bathtub, the fempires, the epic sax man. It was amazing. It's incredible what kind of stuff can go over your head as a child.