Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Anthropophagous" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Antropophagus (1980)

Selected by WillieMLF

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK - ITALIAN AUDIO

ALYXSTARR LINK - ENGLISH AUDIO

ALYXSTARR LINK - US CUT
Released as "The Grim Reaper". This cuts out some of the gore, and uses music from Kingdom of the Spider in place of the original score.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2018 DISCUSSION | 2018 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-15-18 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 09:31 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: "Anthropophagous" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

I did a double feature last night of Anthropophagus and Absurd. Both films are slow between the 30 min and 1 hour marks, but still sleazy fun. I actually like Absurd better than Anthro due to the story and pacing. I do prefer Anthro makeup though
Old 10-25-18, 09:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

This was better than I expected. Blind bought the BD to participate, and happy that it is less exploitative than some video nasties. Some good makeup and the gore is sometimes shocking but not overused. And a great bonus that the BD includes a full documentary on 42nd Street, and it’s quite good.
Old 10-25-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Anropophagus is such a cool title, I've never seen the film before but titles I cannot pronounce always make the film seem even more gnarly than they probably are. I'm surprised Criterion didn't release an edition. Antsropdoagus was a tease, it held suspense better than other movies where nothing happens for so long at least before it’s nonsensical conclusion. Curious about the psychic, she adds some great foreboding and Italian films of this era often seem to have some comical odd supernatural tangent (like a misplaced psychic in our slasher [?] movie). I think the best part of early Antrophagus was the foreboding, we all know they're going to die. I've seen other movies where they try this stuff not nearly as effectively, it especially works here because there's no clue what these people are facing (other than maybe an Atrophkjnfjas,dhnsjkdbn something). “Eat me damn you,” who says that? Good thing our villain ate his wife (first) instead of their already dead kid, because that would have really been in bad taste. The real hook here is that it’s a stealth cannibal film, for those of us who didn’t decipher the latin, or something, language title – come for the wondering aimlessly across a breach town, stay for the baby eating.

Cool use of killer point of view and the scene where they’re on the beach with camera cutting away to reveal the pregnant woman being dragged off above them is brilliant. I also like the blood soaked survivor they found and the idea that she can smell the killer, which seems somehow inappropriate. The perfectly timed hanging suicide to jump scare our Scooby Doo crew is so odd, and what a long rope - wait for it, ok jump to your down now.

I hate that the poster and cover art so obviously spoil the ending.

So in the end Anthropophagous was a film about a middle aged guy wheezily chasing after young adults; looks like I've got my Halloween costume lined up - I am Antopopfungus.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-25-18 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the preferred audio, English or Italian? I presume both soundtracks are dubs but curious which is better to watch.
Old 10-25-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
What's the preferred audio, English or Italian? I presume both soundtracks are dubs but curious which is better to watch.
I'm not sure which is superior but the English language dialogue doesn't always match the subtitles so for what that's worth. I actually started it in Italian then switched and cannot say it made much of a difference.
Old 10-25-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I'm not sure which is superior but the English language dialogue doesn't always match the subtitles so for what that's worth. I actually started it in Italian then switched and cannot say it made much of a difference.
Thanks, probably just do English then. I'm sure it's one of those that was made intended for international distribution so the spoken language is probably not that important.
Old 10-25-18, 06:15 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I can't top UndeadCow's review. Thanks for the laugh! I'll just say it was better than I expected. I'm always down for a "group of people on a deserted island/house getting picked off" trope. And I liked that we didn't know who/what it was. Though the cover IS a rotten spoiler.

The fetus scene and the eat-your-own-guts scene were the nastiest bits I've seen this month, which makes sense for the Video Nasties theme tonight.

It was a bit slow in the middle, but then I find that true with a lot of Italian horror. Overall, it was entertaining, but I won't race to see Absurd.
Old 10-25-18, 06:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked this. I probably could have done without the two big gross out scenes but they do add to the sleaze factor and they were shocking.

The locations used were great. I liked the buildup in the bright but deserted town, the narrow empty byways hinting at something sinister, a mystery that continued to grow. There were lots of atmospheric and eerie scenes. I especially liked the catacombs full of rats, bats, and skeletons (not to mention the crumbling arches that lead up to them) and the room of the dead behind the mirror and then the sudden blast of light starting the backstory.

I didn't really find any of the film particularly slow, maybe I was too much into the sets and locations to notice.
Old 10-26-18, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I feared the worse after a few rough subset choices but thankfully it was not too bad.
Old 10-27-18, 12:35 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Haven't seen this one in years but I do plan on getting to it for this challenge. I remember the build up to when Antropophagus is first revealed to be pretty good.
Old 10-28-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't have too much to add. I agree with most. It might have started a bit slow, but it did have nice atmosphere in the beginning. I was really tired the night I watched this, and I think it added to the odd mood of the film.