Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Evil Toons" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-20-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Evil Toons (1992)

Selected by SterlingBen

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - DIRECTOR FRED OLEN RAY COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2018 DISCUSSION | 2018 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-15-18 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-20-18, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Evil Toons" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

I enjoyed Evil Toons when I first saw it last year on YouTube and the new blu-ray looks very good. It's a great mix of sleaze, horror tropes, and upbeat cheese and rare that these elements are combined this efficiently. ET is nicely self aware and the humor stands out. The soundtrack does a lot to keep the tone up and is better than average. The 'toon' doesn't show up much at all but Fred Olen Ray seems to understand no one is really in it for evil cartoons and it's a fun twist on demonic possession. Between David Carradine, Dick Miller, and Madison this is pretty star studded. Madison is not a great actress but her awkward stilted performance works perfectly to suggest possession and I am assuming that is purposeful. At first I thought that the thunderstorm was atmospheric but it's so ever present it's unintentionally comedic like someone forgot to switch off the sound effect machine - these people really want you to understand it's raining, even though there's no rain in the outdoors scenes. It's also really great how everyone just knows about the occult out of the blue from clean memories of flipping through the book, which mostly have odd demon sex pictures anyway.
Old 10-20-18, 10:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Yeah, pretty much similar thought to our ZombieBovine. This is usually the type of film that doesn’t work for me, excessive nudity or gore is often an excuse for lazy filmmakers, but the elements combine nicely here. Not a great film that I’ll rewatch regularly, but I wasn’t upset that I “had” to watch it two years in a row.

I picked up the special edition BD release without knowing much about it, mainly because I wanted some more animated horror in my collection. I was getting tired of watching Mad Monster Party every year. The fact that it was signed by Fred Olen Ray pushed me over the edge. The BD has some decent special features iirc, I probably won’t be viewing them this year.
Old 10-20-18, 11:03 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Did not hold much hope for this one, but I found myself enjoying it. It had just the right amount of sex, gore and comedy for me. Maybe I was just in a good mood when I watched it!
Old 10-20-18, 04:27 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm not on a good streak with the subset choices. The last 3 nights -- Repo!, Toxic Avenger, and this one have all been painful for me to get through. This one was so focused on T&A. Incredibly wooden acting, derivative plot (what there was of one), and the comedy fell flat for me. Meh. As an older woman I'm obviously not the target market for this one. Glad others enjoyed it.

On the plus side, I'm counting on this one for my "Final Girl" trope on the checklist. I know they all come back to life at the end, but at least for a portion of the movie the virginal girl is the only survivor.

I'm going to watch Serial Mom tonight as another 80's video company spotlight films. I know I'll love that one.

Last edited by jholmes; 10-20-18 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I was under the impression that I had seen this before a few years ago, but I was wrong. I enjoyed watching Carradine sneak around and not add too much. I expected more animation and felt it was a bit clumsy, but I did like the practical effects.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-22-18 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 09:14 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a goofy movie, I like it. But every time I see Carradine hang himself I wonder if he's wearing women's lingerie underneath his clothes...
Old 10-28-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

This one didn't really do it for me. I was expecting more cartoon interactions. The toon aspect felt like a throwaway, but I guess that's not really what this movie was interested in. It could be good for a revisit with friends for a good roasting, but I'll likely not watch it again.