Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Theatrical Showing" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge: Bonus Day

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Theatrical Showing

The Nun | The Predator
Assassination Nation
The House with a Clock in its Walls
Await Further Instructions | Venom
Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween
The Dark | Killer Kate! | Suspiria (2018)
Knuckleball | The Meg
Hell Fest | Halloween (2018)

Attending a theatrical showing allows you to obtain a bonus entry. If you missed a day, this means you can still check off the subset list as being complete.
The same goes for attending a live event such as a horror convention, haunted house, play, ghost tour, etc. You have one.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2018 DISCUSSION | 2018 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-15-18 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-30-18, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: "Theatrical Showing" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge: Bonus Day

Hellfest - I actually sat on the edge of my seat just to stay awake through the entire film. Granted there were 2 or possibly 3 scenes in the film that were decent enough, but I will have to pass on owning the dvd of this snorefest.
Old 09-30-18, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
Hellfest - I actually sat on the edge of my seat just to stay awake through the entire film. Granted there were 2 or possibly 3 scenes in the film that were decent enough, but I will have to pass on owning the dvd of this snorefest.
That's a shame. I planned on seeing it this week with MoviePass.
Old 10-07-18, 06:52 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I saw The Nun in the theater today. I love religious horror and old gothic European settings, so this should have been a slam dunk for me. In the end I gave it a 6/10. It felt like the story was thin and they spent so much screen time on jump scares and "Ooh, it's the nun in the background". As if the audience wouldn't be engaged unless it was constant scary stuff. This is so typically Hollywood right now, where everything is dialed to 11 and it's all action over story.

I would have liked more explanation of the castle's curse (oh, some guy was tryin' to raise evil. end of explanation). What about the novice's visions? We never learn more about that (there were a lot, she says). I was sort of rooting for Frenchie to win the girl, but I guess that was never going to happen.

In general, I could have used less scares and more story. There needs to be some down time to really appreciate the fright beats when they come.

I checked my watch a lot. Never a good sign.
Old 10-07-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

House With a Clock on the Walls - it's hard to be critical of all ages films like this but the type that goes all in on magic to the level of near constant fantasy takes some of the thrill out of it in my opinion. It basically starts as a comedy and never really recovers a level of tension despite some twists running off sight gags for so much of it's time. Overall me and the kids enjoyed it and it's refreshing for their to be family friendly season offerings. I'm not a big fan of Jack Black, he's masterful sometimes but often seems to play the same basic character and struggles with dramatic chops. The rise of a darker adversary makes things more interesting but editing could have been tighter.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-16-18 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 02:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

MoviePass has not given me many options to use it at my local theater, so figured I better jump at the opportunity it gave me today and knock this off my checklist. Goosebumps 2 was exactly what I expected; harmless and enjoyable family fun, and great palate-cleanser after Inside.
Old 10-16-18, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Goosebumps 2 was exactly what I expected; harmless and enjoyable family fun, and great palate-cleanser after Inside.
I thought Goosebumps 2 was fun also but it is an unfortunate step away from being a Goosebumps movie towards featuring generic Halloween carnage. G2 offers little new compared to the original, which is ultimately a better film by virtue of being true to franchise with a knowledgeable R.L. Stine character and relevant characters. I think it would have been interesting for G2 to be more of a true sequel to the original but it seems standalone.
Old 10-16-18, 04:02 PM

The Nun was an atmospheric film and I'm a sucker for the hallucination nature of many of the frights where it's more psychological. The ending shamelessly reminded me of a better film to the discredit of The Nun. I thought it was clever how they tied it into The Conjuring. It's an interesting tactic for them to sustain tension while also basically spoiling things with the promotion and character.
Old 10-16-18, 04:04 PM

Hellfest is a great idea, a slasher inside of a haunted house theme exhibit. The exhibit hints at the literary seven circles of hell and is so thick you can practically smell the rubber from the masks. The slasher elements could have been much stronger and sometimes the theme park elements are distracting. Overall I enjoyed it but not as much as I had hoped. There were elements of paranoia, that are great when pulled off well and here they're just kind of there because we do see as much of the killer as we do.
Old 10-29-18, 08:33 AM

Saw Halloween this past weekend with my husband. I adored it. Jamie Lee Curtis was such a kick ass grandma. And the theme of how trauma affects someone over years was great. There were a few surprises in there. Great tension throughout, nice tie in to the original, great thematic elements, great script.

I heard Jamie Lee Curtis had to put up her own money to make it (partially) because, you know, old actresses never get work. I hope she makes a shitload.

Especially nice touches:
Spoiler:
* The doctor who kills the cop - didn't see that one coming.
* Loved that the trendy podcast true crimers bought it.
* The moment when the mom is holding a gun at the stairs and cries that she cant do it--I want to kick her in the non-existent balls and then she DOES. Loved that. Mama didn't raise no fools.
* The whole denial of evil and the world is a happy place bit - WRONG. Sadly, true.
* The ending when all the men died and the 3 gen of women survived with the new "traumatized Laurie" granddaughter. Nice touch.
Old 10-29-18, 09:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Yeah, the new Halloween was great, gets better the more I reflect in it. Probably my favorite sequel, or at least right up there, and a zillion times better than the last few attempts.
Old 10-29-18, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, the new Halloween was great, gets better the more I reflect in it. Probably my favorite sequel, or at least right up there, and a zillion times better than the last few attempts.
Agreed! It keeps growing on me.
Old 11-01-18, 05:56 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Halloween (2018) was really good, I thought most of the humor was flat but other than that it was a great sequel.