Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Dr. Cyclops" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Dr. Cyclops (1940)

Selected by shellebelle

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - SVENGOOLIE EPISODE

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2018 DISCUSSION | 2018 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-15-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-07-18, 06:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: "Dr. Cyclops" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

This film perhaps suffers for the main “trick” being done better and more often in future films, but at the time I’m sure it was quite stunning to see the miniature effects. Even got an Oscar nomination! The color is a bit garish perhaps, but I liked it. The acting is a bit blah, but overall it’s better than your average mad scientist film of the era.

I love that it got me to finally open my Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection volume 2. I’m looking forward to checking out the other four films therein.
Old 10-07-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Albert Dekker has an unique physique that combined with the spectacles looks imposing, not unlike a cyclops of greek legend (bulkier with obviously limited vision). I think his combination of scientific reserve and maniacal 'makes' the film more than the effect.

It's interesting the assortment of miniature dress the characters chose.

Thanks to Alyxstarr for posting the Svengoolie material corresponding with this, it was my first exposure to the horror host and was fun. He's a corny fellow but energetic.
Originally Posted by Trevor
This film perhaps suffers for the main “trick” being done better and more often in future films, but at the time I’m sure it was quite stunning to see the miniature effects..
I thought that there special effects were very well done for a 1940 film, I'd be curious to see more of how they pulled it off. I have seen more recent films that looked more fake than this.
Old 10-07-18, 02:07 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I thought that there special effects were very well done for a 1940 film, I'd be curious to see more of how they pulled it off. I have seen more recent films that looked more fake than this.
Agreed. The DVD version I watched looked really good and the effects were surprisingly impressive.

Good little movie. It's pretty funny how much time the littles must have spent making and dying clothes. Especially since they were clothed right after the shrinkage. lol
Old 10-07-18, 02:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't dislike them but I don't get too excited by movies about shrinking people but this is my favorite of the ones I've seen. There's a nice pulpy feel, like something out of the science fiction magazines of the era (not that I was around then mind you but I have read a lot of SF from that time). I especially liked the look of the technology including the protective suit. Also, the eerily colored beginning of the film really sets a nice tone. The jungle setting is exotic and I'm glad they used some jungle dangers when the heroes were outside the compound. I was glad to have a chance to revisit this film - something I wouldn't have done on my own right now.

I also think that the effects hold up well even though here were a few instances where the giant doctor was a little fuzzy when a shrunk person was in the foreground. And I also wondered about the fancy new duds. That must have been quite a nap the doctor took. And yes, I agree that Albert Dekker really made the movie for me.
Old 10-08-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

The three-strip Technicolor was vivid and like others I thought the effects mostly held up and Albert Dekker's performance made it a fun watch.
Old 10-08-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I've never heard of this movie, and I'm eventually planning on watching all the Universal horror disks before I turn 100.

I've never really loved the shrinking people effect, but I think for the most part it works quite well. When Dr. Thorkel kills Dr. Bulfinch with the chloroform, that effect looks really good.

Poor Satanus the cat. He was just not happy for his scenes.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-08-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I expected to think this one was pretty bad, but it actually won me over. It had a certain charm to it. I thought it looked great and the effects held up remarkably well aside from a few shots.

While I know this is a first-time view for me, there were many scenes that felt so familiar to me. Has this been used in other movies?
Old 10-12-18, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
The color is a bit garish perhaps, but I liked it.
Originally Posted by wishbone
The three-strip Technicolor was vivid and like others I thought the effects mostly held up and Albert Dekker's performance made it a fun watch.
This was actually the first three-strip Technicolor horror/sci-fi film, so that could be why the colors looked hyper-real. (Doctor X and The Mystery of the Wax Museum were done in the older two-strip Technicolor process.) I thought that the effects were as good as those in The Incredible Shrinking Man, and miles above those in Attack of the Puppet People. It reminded me most, however, of the (beloved?) Saturday-morning show Dr. Shrinker.