Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Burial Ground" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-20-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1981)

Selected by Darkgod

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

SHUDDER

ALYXSTARR LINK - ITALIAN AUDIO

ALYXSTARR LINK - ENGLISH AUDIO

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2018 DISCUSSION | 2018 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-15-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Burial Ground" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

Oh no.... I "have" to watch Burial Ground again.

I actually think that this is a really good movie that's just poorly dubbed and that makes all the difference.
Seriously now the lack of plot and strange low budget effects give it a dream like quality and those zombies are a gnarly mix of gross and low budget.

Extra points for creative use of maggots; I wonder if they had a "maggot person" during filming whose job it was to ensure a steady collection of maggots on hand. The zombie masks are a.unique mix of obviously fake but scary and gross in spite of their shoddy production.

Everyone zombie got buried in their night shirts.

Should I comment on Michael? Hmm... not sure I can add anything to what others have already said.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-06-18 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-06-18, 03:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

My memory admittedly stinks, but I’m almost sure this was my first viewing. How did I wait this long? Michael. Wow.
Old 10-06-18, 04:50 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Hmmm. It felt like it was 90% "maggoty undead goes after screaming person and/or couple." A few nice touches. The little kid, Michael, was creepy af even before he died.

It reminded me of the set-up for Night of the Living Dead, with a group of people stuck in a house attacked by zombies (in this case a chateau). Except Night of the Living Dead had strong characterization. In this, the characterization was pretty much non-existent except for a bit of interest with Michael and his mother.
Old 10-06-18, 05:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

A first time viewing for me. With a couple of exceptions this seemed like a pretty standard Italian zombie movie. No real plot and some of the zombie makeup looked pretty good - I especially liked the ones with really big teeth. The relation between Michael and Evelyn added a nice touch of sleaze. I was glad to see Evelyn take out some zombies on her own, sometimes with Michael's help. The zombie attacks were relentless but every once in a while there was a little break where they tried to build up some suspense but really, you knew there were zombies just around the corner. The soundtrack was pretty effective but every once in a while I expected to see a UFO land. Some of the electronic sounds seemed to be taken from Italian SF movies.

Fun but nothing special.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Extra points for creative use of maggots; I wonder if they had a "maggot person" during filming whose job it was to ensure a steady collection of maggots on hand.
That would be the maggot wrangler. He or she probably did the worms too.
Old 10-07-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Well, I've seen this one a number of times and the novelty has finally worn off. It still feels fun, but it sure seems padded at times with a whole lot of shuffling zombies. Well, we had Bob last year in The House by the Cemetery, and now we have Michael. I'm not sure what next year may hold. I do actually find it interesting that these zombies are able to use tools as instruments of death.
Old 10-07-18, 06:02 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

This is just a bat shit crazy zombie flick. It has it all, including zombies using table saws and garden tools. Its a shame that Petro Barzocchini (Michael) did not have much of an acting career (only 5 credits)
Old 10-12-18, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

Dumb (as in really, really dumb) fun. Oddly enough, the other film that I watched for zombie day, Nightmare City (aka City of the Walking Dead), also had some major nipple trauma. Those zany Italians!
Old 10-12-18, 03:26 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Michael is creepy as fuck and perhaps the most unconvincing "child" actor ever.
Old 10-12-18, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I love cheesy Italian horror flicks so this was pretty amazing. I love how there was absolutely no plot or character development. Just zombies shambling around and eating people for 90 minutes. A totally terrible film that's a lot of fun to watch.
Old 10-15-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I love cheesy Italian horror flicks so this was pretty amazing. I love how there was absolutely no plot or character development. Just zombies shambling around and eating people for 90 minutes. A totally terrible film that's a lot of fun to watch.
Rewatched this last night. After having been burned a couple of times by Amazon Prime giving me an awful print, this looked really good (Blu Ray quality).

Yes, this is a great example of a terrible awesome movie. I forgot how relentless and fast-paced it was ... pretty much non-stop action after the first few minutes. The 85 minute running time just zips by.
Old 10-19-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I watched this doozy in my very first horror challenge. I knew zero about it. A friend had loaned me a bunch of his horror films, including some he said he bought on the cheap but hadn't watched. This was one of those films. I regretted watching it alone because it would have been a hoot discovering the insanity of this movie with friends. I thought it was awful but also a lot of fun. It's one of those bad movies you can't help but love. Too bad we couldn't get a Michael based sequel out of this.