Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man (Insomniac Games) PS4 (9/7/18)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-31-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Since we finally have some new information, thought it was time to start a new thread about this highly-anticipated game, due in 2018.

Marvel’s Spider-Man: New Trailer Features Aunt May, MJ & More
Insomniac breaks down the big reveals in the new trailer for their take on our favorite wall-crawler.

Posted by Bryan Intihar Creative Director, Insomniac Games

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pq02p3z3X2k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey everyone,

My name is Bryan Intihar and I’m the Creative Director for Insomniac Games working on Marvel’s Spider-Man. This past summer was a very exciting time for our studio as E3 and D23 served as great avenues to showcase the unique Spider-Man game universe we’re building. Since then we know you’ve been anxiously awaiting another look at the Web-Slinger, which is why we were thrilled to unveil a new trailer at the PlayStation Media Showcase at Paris Games Week. The trailer includes your first glimpses at the man behind the mask – Peter Parker. We also introduce you to Peter’s very close friend Mary Jane Watson, his beloved Aunt May, his longtime nemesis Wilson Fisk (AKA Kingpin), and much more.
Spoiler:

As Spider-Man asks at the trailer’s conclusion, “anyone else need a breather?” Well, don’t take a break for too long because there’s a lot to go through here!
First off, our 23-year-old Peter finds himself trying to juggle his career and personal life with being a Super Hero. And while he’s more experienced and masterful at fighting crime (including finally taking down the Kingpin), can Peter finally find balance? Or will Spider-Man’s responsibility to protect the city take priority if Kingpin really was the “one who kept order in this city”?

Spoiler:
In the past, we’ve talked a lot about how the best Spider-Man stories happen when Spider-Man and Peter Parker’s worlds collide. So to understand Peter’s world a bit, players will also play as Peter during parts of the game. Not only that, Mary Jane has a significant role here too. MJ is a smart, savvy reporter with The Daily Bugle and she’s investigating the suspicious activity happening throughout the city. She won’t be just a bystander either, so yes, players will even play as MJ for key moments.

Spoiler:

MJ, however, isn’t the only intersection between Peter and Spider-Man’s worlds. His own Aunt May is a longtime employee of philanthropist Martin Li at his F.E.A.S.T. shelters. Peter even introduces a young Miles Morales to his aunt as a new shelter volunteer. Unfortunately, Peter makes the terrible discovery that May’s employer is secretly Mister Negative (you can see that moment in our E3 2017 Gameplay Demo). Mister Negative and his Inner Demons’ reign of terror on New York City pose the most serious—and personal—threat that our Spider-Man has faced in his eight years of web-swinging and crime fighting.

Spoiler:

We couldn’t be more excited to be bringing Spider-Man to PlayStation 4 in 2018. To celebrate the trailer, we are hosting a special livestream this Friday, November 3rd, at 2pm PDT. We’ll be doing a rewind of the trailer, giving away rare development team swag, and answering your questions. If you have something you’d like to ask, we’ll be putting out a call for questions on Twitter and you can tweet us your question. Join us this Friday at www.twitch.tv/insomniacgames.

And in the interim – be sure to visit the game’s official page for more details and brand-new screenshots – as well as follow Insomniac Games on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook for the latest news and info.
Old 10-31-17, 04:18 PM

re: Spider-Man (Insomniac Games) PS4 (9/7/18)

From IGN :

MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN GIVES YOU ALL THE POWERS YOU WANT FROM THE START

Spider-Man is doing whatever a Spider-Man can. Which seems appropriate.

BY JOE SKREBELS
It’s always nice to see more of Insomniac’s PS4-exclusive Spider-Man game, but you could almost feel the internet deflating when the Paris Games Week trailer took a focus on story. We’ve known this would be an open world action game since E3 - so why have we still not seen any open world gameplay, more than a year after being announced?

“I think just in terms of our rollout we want to focus on different things”, explains creative director Bryan Intihar when I put that question to him. “Trust me, we'll be talking about open world. There's no weird conspiracy or anything like that.”

The thing is, I’ve met more than a few people who simply didn’t know this was an open world game at all - so if he can’t show us, can he at least tell us how it will work?

“Not really,” he laughs. “I will tell you that, if you think of a character like Spider-Man, who lends himself really well to swinging through a city, we'd be doing the character a disservice if we weren't encouraging gameplay like that. Swinging around the city is very important and a very key part of the experience.”

While he won’t be drawn on specifics about the open world portions of the game, that’s not to say there aren’t new gameplay details to discover - Intihar’s much happier to talk about what it is to control Spider-Man, moment to moment.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aCHJyJNDPiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Insomniac’s Peter Parker is a fair bit older than Tom Holland’s MCU version - he’s 23, in his first job, struggling to pay rent and, most imporantly, has been fighting crime for 8 years. Intihar’s clearly excited by the scope that villain-busting experience gives the studio when it comes to the core gameplay.

Spider-Man doesn’t just swing across New York - he combines that with elements of parkour, which should make traversing the (apparently huge) world smoother than we’ve seen it before. That experience shines through in his tussles with criminals, too.

Intihar breaks down the game’s combat into four categories: melee, webslinging, environmental actions and gadgets. Apparently, combat’s a matter of juggling all four, switching between them on the fly (when discussing changing to webs, he says “switching right”, which could indicate that you use the D-Pad select combat types).

“Then [you add] acrobatics, mid-air combos,” “he explains. “When it comes to combat it's about mixing and matching those four types to how you want to play the game, or what the situation calls for.”

Best of all, an experienced Spider-Man means you don’t have to spend time as he gets to grips with his powers: “It's not like you load up the game and he doesn't have any powers,” Intihar says. “The first time you're swinging, the first time you're fighting, you need to feel like Spider-Man.”

We won’t experience a Metroid Prime moment where we use all our powers, then lose them all, either: “It's not about doing something cool, stripping your powers and starting again. You play Spider-Man to be Spider-Man, and we want you to feel like that right away.”

You play Spider-Man to be Spider-Man, and we want you to feel like that right away.”

It’s perhaps surprising, then, to discover that Spider-Man won’t be the only character we control. Intihar reveals that both an out-of-costume Peter Parker and, more interestingly, Mary-Jane Watson will both be playable in certain sections. MJ sounds particularly interesting, with Intihar hinting that she’ll be using some of her experience as a Daily Bugle reporter in her gameplay sections.

“We said right at the start of this project that we want to stay true to the DNA of the Spider-Man universe [...] But we also didn't want to just repeat everything you've seen in the movies or the comics and the games - because there's been a lot of them, right? We had to mix things up, and I think MJ's a good example of that character.

“OK, you see the look, she looks like MJ, she's got the red hair, but her role in this universe is probably a little bit different to what people have expected before. I know I'm really interested in it - I think once people see her role in the game and we expand upon it, how she's tied to Peter and everything, I think she's a good example of what kind of thing this game's going to offer people in terms of being true to the DNA but also mixing things up.”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vdB8hJKYBa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It’s not just heroes who appear to be getting love from Insomniac. The latest trailer confirmed or reconfirmed supervillains Mister Negative (a gone-bad version of Martin Li, who employs Aunt May), Wilson Fisk (aka Kingpin), Shocker and Norman Osborn who’s currently acting as New York Mayor rather than Green Goblin.

“That's honestly just a slice of the amount of villains we have in the game,” says Intihar. Peter has taken down Fisk at the time of the trailer, which leads to a flood of new bad guys to imprison:

“I think you're going to see a rise of villains that are not only taking advantage of Fisk now being out of the picture, but you're seeing Peter face off against a villain like Mister Negative, who is much more dangerous than he's faced before. Also there's more of a personal connection to Mister Negative because of Martin Li.

“We talked a lot about how the best Spider-Man experiences are when Peter's world and Spider-Man's world collide. Having someone like Mister Negative in the game really shows that coming to life.”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0YQF0vcHSd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
It might be that Intihar has a point when it comes to showing the open world. With a license as rich as Spider-Man, the story makes a big difference to how we play. Peter Parker’s experience, his relationship to characters, and the villains he comes up against, will inform the game itself. Intihar even implores me to go back and look closely at the story trailer’s shots of the Manhattan skyline for clues - “it’s a very Marvel version of New York”, he says.

“It was really, really important to us,” Intihar says about the new trailer “to get across that this is an experience, a story that goes beyond just being a superhero. It's about the story of the man behind the mask - and that's what we wanted to get across here. As someone who loves Marvel and loves Marvel stories - whether that's the movies, the TV shows, the comics - what I think makes those experiences so well is when you can connect to the human side of it, and that's we want to show.”
Old 10-31-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

This looks amazing (no pun intended). =)
Old 11-01-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll get it. And I'm excited for it. But I would've rather had a new Ratchet & Clank game from them if I'm being honest.
Old 11-01-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I'm the opposite there. Insomniac has some pretty decent skill within its company, I hate that they keep going back to the R&C well (Which I'm odd man out on, since I like the characters, but find the games to be incredibly dull)
Old 11-01-17, 06:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

so is this like a Sony exclusive and will never go to XBOX or other platforms?
Old 11-01-17, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so is this like a Sony exclusive and will never go to XBOX or other platforms?
Yes, that is correct. Insomniac used to only make Sony games (first Spyro games, then Ratchet and Clank). That isn't the case any more. They've made Fuse for both the PS3 and 360 and then made Sunset Overdrive for Xbox One exclusively and Song of the Deep for PS4, XO and PC). But this game is a Sony PS4 exclusive.
Old 11-01-17, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yes, that is correct. Insomniac used to only make Sony games (first Spyro games, then Ratchet and Clank). That isn't the case any more. They've made Fuse for both the PS3 and 360 and then made Sunset Overdrive for Xbox One exclusively and Song of the Deep for PS4, XO and PC). But this game is a Sony PS4 exclusive.
I believe is part of the Spider-Man deal Marvel has with Sony. The game looks really good, like an Arkham-type game with Spidey. I just hope they don't ruin it with quick time events
Old 11-01-17, 07:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I believe is part of the Spider-Man deal Marvel has with Sony. The game looks really good, like an Arkham-type game with Spidey. I just hope they don't ruin it with quick time events
yeah, it does look good. haven't played a Spidey game in a long time. last time was probably on GameCube, Spider-Man 2, i think. free roam, good swing mechanics, but i left for some reason or another. wanted to get that one where you play as different timeline Spideys, but didn't...
Old 11-02-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I have this game on pre-order at a really good price when it was announced at E3. From what I seen in the trailers for E3 and Paris show, I don't regret my decision.
Old 11-02-17, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out about this game; only bigger news from Insomniac would be a new Spyro made by them. Enter the Dragonfly on the Gamecube by some of other developer was the worst $50+ spent until I bought Fallout: Game of the Year Edition. So this game will be a platformer?
Old 04-04-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (Insomniac Games) PS4 (9/7/18)

We have a release date!

Also:

Old 04-04-18, 02:37 PM

I might buy a PS4 Pro just to play this game.
Old 04-04-18, 03:04 PM

Just pre-ordered that collector's edition from Best Buy, $120 with Gamer's Club.
Old 04-04-18, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by buldrhm
Just pre-ordered that collector's edition from Best Buy, $120 with Gamer's Club.
Man it's tempting but it's a LOT of money even for a Collector's Edition. Plus we don't know what the statue really looks like, right? I'm holding off for now.

I would have bought a Deluxe Edition with Steelbook and Season Pass other stuff minus the statue.
Old 04-05-18, 09:26 AM

Yes the statue really needs to look like $60 for this to be any sort of deal.
Old 04-05-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Man it's tempting but it's a LOT of money even for a Collector's Edition. Plus we don't know what the statue really looks like, right? I'm holding off for now.

I would have bought a Deluxe Edition with Steelbook and Season Pass other stuff minus the statue.
Same here. I'm running out of room with all of these freaking CE statues

I'm guessing there will also be a Spiderman themed PS4 Pro, but they probably held that back for now since the GoW one comes out in a few more weeks.
Old 04-05-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that steel book is debossed, it's going to be awesome.
Old 04-06-18, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

I would love to have the collector's edition but $149.99 is too rich for my blood.
Old 04-09-18, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm curious what the statue will look like, but if he's wearing the ugly suit he has on by default in the game i'll probably hate it I'll give the regular edition an order on Amazon.
Old 04-09-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I hope it has at least a little VR segment in the game. Would be a nice addition for VR owners.
Old 04-09-18, 10:51 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Game does look amazing..lets hope Insomniac brings their A-Game....and that the people who worked on Fuse are now Wal-Mart greeters.
Old 04-09-18, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The ONLY thing I don't like is his default costume, but I know there are some that come with the game as a pre-order bonus. Hoping we get Spidey 2099 skin down the road.
Old 04-26-18, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

<iframe width="620" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/51sFXHoWrMo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-27-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
<iframe width="620" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/51sFXHoWrMo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

....hot damn

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.