Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ebay Is Now Charging Sales Tax

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-08-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

The last to cave. They just lost an order I was about to place.
Old 08-08-18, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Re: Ebay Is Now Charging Sales Tax

I wonder what triggers it.

I placed two orders today -- one from a buyer in FL, the other from someone in Taiwan -- and I wasn't charged tax for either one.
Old 08-08-18, 05:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Ha, I doubt the order they lost will have a large impact.
Old 08-08-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

I didn't get charged on my purchase today.
Old 08-08-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I wonder what triggers it.

I placed two orders today -- one from a buyer in FL, the other from someone in Taiwan -- and I wasn't charged tax for either one.
It may just be the large sellers; & it may just be Washington State where I live. But there was definitely sales tax in my cart. I was stacking 2 coupons; & that kind of messed up the discount......

Sales Tax + shipping - a screwed consumer.
Old 08-09-18, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

I believe only large seller since I got taxed buying from Bestbuy a few weeks ago (through ebay of course) and no one else since.
Old 08-09-18, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in MN. Since the Wayfair ruling, MN has made these requirements on Marketplace Providers (ie. Ebay/Amazon) for filing taxes:

"When is a Marketplace Provider required to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of remote sellers using their marketplace?
Marketplace Provider must collect and remit Minnesota sales tax on all taxable sales into Minnesota made by a remote seller through the marketplace unless any of the following are true:
-The remote seller makes taxable retail sales into Minnesota through the marketplace of less than $10,000 in a 12-month period ending on the most recently completed calendar quarter.
-The remote seller elects to register and collect Minnesota sales tax directly and does not enter into an agreement with the Marketplace Provider for the marketplace to collect and remit Minnesota sales tax on behalf of the remote seller.
-The Marketplace Provider does not maintain a place of business in Minnesota."

Last edited by dfmaverick2; 08-09-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Yeah, eBay had been just about the last bastion of cheaper retail goods on the net with its tax advantage. This is going to severely hurt eBay.

I've generally gotten better deals off eBay in the past year on media than Amazon or other net retailers. Their regular 15% and 20% off deals make many media items that never go on sale cheaper than they ever will be on Amazon or sites like Deepdiscount. The tax addition cuts into that advantage a great deal.
Old 08-09-18, 03:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Tax advantage? It’s much easier to pre-pay it than to have to pay my state come April.
Old 08-09-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Ha, I doubt the order they lost will have a large impact.
Multiply it by a few million users, and they'll notice.

Why shop at eBay now when I can just buy direct from the merchant online?

Bye-bye private sellers, too.
Old 08-10-18, 03:36 PM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be based on if the seller resides in your state. Movie Mars resides in NC and I get charged tax everytime.
Old 08-12-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Interesting, I just noticed a listing today from someone in Ohio and their description says "Currently not shipping/selling to Ohio residents at this time" and was wondering what that was all about. I guess ebay finally having to charge tax is why, so is it just if the seller and buyer are in the same state then?
Old 08-12-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Interesting, I just noticed a listing today from someone in Ohio and their description says "Currently not shipping/selling to Ohio residents at this time" and was wondering what that was all about. I guess ebay finally having to charge tax is why, so is it just if the seller and buyer are in the same state then?
People are dumb. The likelihood of shipping to your own state is slim. If it’s a small seller, they don’t hit a minimum. If it’s a big seller, the need to stfu and assimilate.
Old 08-13-18, 09:58 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Also may have been an eBay seller using Amazon to drop ship. I've had that happen recently.
Old 09-07-18, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

I ordered something from California today from a large seller and didn't get charged sales tax. I was planning to order a $300 item from a somewhat smaller seller in Florida and was getting charge $21 in sales tax. I live in NC.

it would be nice to know when and if you are going to get charged with sales tax, particuarly if youre bidding on an item. Best to know beforehand because it could affect how much you want to bid on an item.
Old 09-08-18, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
it would be nice to know when and if you are going to get charged with sales tax, particuarly if youre bidding on an item. Best to know beforehand because it could affect how much you want to bid on an item.
On the shipping tab, there is also a section right below it that shows where the seller charges Sales Tax. If you don't see the Sales Tax section, then that means the seller doesn't collect sales tax on any sales.
Old 09-16-18, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Tax advantage? It’s much easier to pre-pay it than to have to pay my state come April.
It's an advantage for those of us not stupid enough to report random online purchases for no reason.
Old 10-02-18, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I just had to post this. In one of these threads, one of you defended eBay's stock value. I suppose that's the difference between Etrading and actually having to do business with the company itself. I saw this coming. Ebay has become a parasite to its sellers. Amazon has too. But Amazon doesn't rely on 3rd party sellers. Investors propped up eBay for too long.

The CEO is a hard-power sissy, who's feuding with PayPal by forcing "Merchant Payments Only" into their system. And PayPal may or may not be an option for sellers anymore. The beta program has already started, and sellers who opted in are seeing dramatic declines in sales. So eBay is going to charge the buyer's credit card, become the payment intermediate, and hold your balance per their own rules (which is what Amazon and Etsy currently do).

They need to get rid of Cassini (which is supressing legitimate sellers) and then fire themselves for the good of the company. I really don't see eBay recovering. It'll be interesting to see what happens or who takes over.

Old 10-03-18, 06:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

To my knowledge I've still never paid sales tax on any eBay purchase from any seller, large or small. Just to be sure I just checked our latest two eBay purchases, both within the last 2 weeks, neither had any sales tax.
Old 10-03-18, 07:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
It's an advantage for those of us not stupid enough to report random online purchases for no reason.
Following the law is stupid, got it!
Old 11-14-18, 07:46 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

I buy a lot from decluttr. Just made my first order with tax. Oh well...
Old 11-14-18, 10:57 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wonder if you can claim it back at the end of the year ... ?
Old 11-14-18, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole internet tax thing is totally ass backwards and just over complicates the situation.. When you go to another state and shop, you simply pay the tax where the store is. You don't have to give your zip code and have them lookup the tax rate where you live or report it to your state. Why the fuck would someone not argue to treat the internet the same way? Simplify it. Sites should just collect tax at their local rate and be done with it.
Old 01-09-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Ebay is scamming buyers and confusing some sellers.As they(eBay) are in charge of collecting taxes now in some states, not the sellers.

Example:

I bought a Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD WiFi Blu-Ray Player (Refurbished) for $61.20 +$4.44 tax = total $65.64
But the seller sold too many or in short never sent my player so they refunded me $61.20, but did not refund the tax part.That is how I found out about the tax part.
It was a Slick deal
So I went back to the thread and found out some other buyers had the same problem with eBay.
I wonder how many buyers that this happens too do not even realize they did not get a full refund?
So just a small amount, but it feels good to complain about fleabay.
Maybe my refund will still show up.
I open a case on paypal,so the seller is going to have to explain why no full refund.

And Ebay customer service is horrible.
eBay needs to automatically have these tax refunds go through on items not shipping etc.Until
they change I'm done shopping on eBay.

Added:

SquareTrade was great to work with as I just let them know the item was never sent.So

they fully refunded the amount even after 10 days with little work to do from me.

Beginning October 1, 2019, eBay will collect sales tax on applicable transactions for buyers in Arizona, California, Colorado, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, North Dakota, South Carolina, Texas & Utah
Update:
Paypal took care of the refund difference in about 24 hours once I opened a claim with paypal.
Maybe eBay will work out the tax part sooner or latter.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 01-10-20 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-09-20, 07:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had a couple of refunds in the last month on eBay and had no issues with the tax being refunded each time. I believe they showed as a separate transaction when refunded.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.