Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Cool idea: EB Games program as lending library (Australia)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Unfortunately, this is Australia only, but this is a great way for a new revenue stream. I'd probably do this at a GameStop if they offered a similar program: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...nding-library/

With direct downloads and other digital purchases growing in popularity even among console gamers, brick-and-mortar game retailers are looking for new ways to stay relevant well into the future. To that end, GameStop-owned EB Games Australia is conducting an interesting experiment that essentially turns its shelves full of used games into a massive lending library for a flat, monthly fee.

As Press Start reports, EB Games has opened up the "Swap 'n' Play" program for testing in South Australia for AUS$19.95 a month (about $16). The program lets you take out any used game you want, one at a time, then return it in exchange for another when you're done. Players can cancel any time after an initial two-month commitment.

While the program was originally limited to used games that sell for under $50, that limit has since been dropped. That means even relatively new releases can be rented out as long as a used copy is available in the store, which often happens just a few days after the "initial release.

"We created Swap ‘n’ Play to add value for our regular customers, especially parents," an EB Games representative told Press Start. "Over school holidays, it's not unusual for families to be in and out our doors finding new games to play. Swap 'n' Play allows for a hassle-free and more affordable shop."

The idea of an all-you-can-play rental exchange program isn't entirely new; GameFly offers a similar rent-by-mail service that lets you swap one game at a time back and forth for $16 a month, or $23 a month for two games at a time (you also get access to a handful of streamable games to boot). Before finally going out of business in 2014, Blockbuster Video also offered a Games Freedom Pass that let users rent one game at a time with no late fees for $20 a month (or less during promotions).

What makes the EB Games' rental experiment unique is its association with a major game retailer that has access to shelves full of used titles, some of which can be a struggle to sell at any price. That game selection might not be able to compete with the 8,300+ titles listed on GameFly, but it certainly beats the relative handful of games available at a local Redbox kiosk, not to mention the more limited choices on digital "all-you-can-play" services like Xbox Games Pass or PlayStation Now. The convenience of swapping out your selections at a local retailer beats waiting by the mailbox for GameFly shipments, and it doesn't require the long downloads and/or shoddy streaming of digital "rental" offerings.

Right now there's no indication that GameStop or EB Games plans to extend the Swap 'n' Play program outside of South Australia. If they do, though, it could do a lot to provide gamers worldwide with easy access to a large chunk of recent gaming history. What's more, it would provide a newfound reason for those gamers to actually get up and go to a brick and mortar retailer instead of sticking with Amazon shipments and digital downloads. What a concept!
edit: if a mod wants to change the title. after i reread it, it doesn't make a ton of sense, but i can't edit it.

Last edited by Deftones; 08-24-17 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts
Re: Cool idea: EB Games program as lending library (Australia)

They are already doing this in the US. They have multiple test areas across the country where you check out one used game at a time rental program. It's been discussed for almost a year over on Cheapassgamer.
Old 08-24-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

news to me.
Old 08-24-17, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do this today. It's called my local library. And it's free.
Old 08-24-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
My library doesn't do games. Only movies.
Old 08-24-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah I'd be happy if my library did games, damn low budget city.
Old 08-10-18, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have several gaming consoles at home. I do not buy discs. But in such stores, you can take the discs for hire. It is very convenient and allows you to play a game without buying it. If you do not like a game, you back it. It is more profitable to buy games in official online stores (for example - PlayStation store). There are constant sales and discounts. Now I only play VR games. For this, I bought a special virtual reality helmet for PlayStation. I rent such games. Because a quality of such games is bad. In this games, it is better to play in special clubs (centers) of virtual reality. For example, a virtual reality club in Melbourne - virivr.com.au.
Old 08-10-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
They are already doing this in the US. They have multiple test areas across the country where you check out one used game at a time rental program. It's been discussed for almost a year over on Cheapassgamer.
Didn't they basically start this up in the US and then immediately shelve it?

Yeah:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/14/...used-cancelled

And that was at 60 bucks a month, this is like some Moviepass pricing here if it's unlimited swap for 16 bucks.
Old 08-10-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Didn't they basically start this up in the US and then immediately shelve it?

Yeah:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/14/...used-cancelled

And that was at 60 bucks a month, this is like some Moviepass pricing here if it's unlimited swap for 16 bucks.
My post was from a year ago when it was being done in test cities before their planned nationwide rollout which they immediately cancelled. And it was $60 for six months not $60 a month.
Old 08-10-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
My post was from a year ago when it was being done in test cities before their planned nationwide rollout which they immediately cancelled. And it was $60 for six months not $60 a month.
Ah, my bad, I didn't see the necro bump. And 10 bucks a month does sound reasonable, but again, that would probably greatly impact sales of games, which is probably why it got canned real quick. Anyway, carry on.
Old 08-10-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
My library keeps kicking ass. They just added Switch games too! I currently have 4 checked out.