Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns (HBO) -- premieres 8/7/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-17-18, 10:21 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HBO Sports, NFL Films and the Cleveland Browns team up for an unfiltered, all-access look at what it takes to make it in the National Football League when Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns kicks off its five-episode season this summer. The 13th edition of the 16-time Sports Emmy Award-winning series debuts Tuesday, August 7 (10 PM ET/PT). The following hour-long episodes of the reality series debut each Tuesday at the same time, with encore plays Wednesday nights, culminating in the September 4 season finale.

“Hard Knocks returns with 90 football players determined to fulfill their NFL dreams, yet only 53 will succeed,” says Peter Nelson, executive vice president, HBO Sports. “The standard set by this landmark program is for fans to witness the truth as in unfolds: no staging, no second takes, no varnish. We are grateful to the Browns organization for allowing us to spend the summer with the team in what promises to be an intriguing training camp experience.”

“The stakes are tremendously high in Cleveland, which make the Browns an ideal partner on Hard Knocks,” says NFL Films senior executive Ross Ketover. “We’re looking forward to showing NFL fans around the world what the Haslams, John Dorsey, Hue Jackson and the coaching staff are doing to rebuild the team and reboot one of the most iconic franchises in sports.”

Camera crews will head to Berea, Ohio in the next few weeks to begin filming, with the action heating up in August when the cinema verité show focuses on the daily lives and routines of players and coaches. Hard Knocks will chronicle head coach Hue Jackson as he leads an intriguing mix of young emerging stars, established veterans, free agent additions and highly-regarded rookie hopefuls throughout training camp and the preseason. Each week, viewers will get an inside look as players experience the daily rigors of an NFL training camp. Cameras will document hours of conditioning practices and meetings, while chronicling players as they compete for a roster spot and bond off the field.

“NFL Films has always been exceptional at bringing fans closer to the game and they do an outstanding job with every show they produce, including HBO’s Hard Knocks,” said Cleveland Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam. “We have been asked multiple times about being featured on Hard Knocks, and we really felt like it was our turn this year and the timing was right. We want to be great partners in this league, and we also recognize Hard Knocks gives fans a special opportunity to learn more about our team and players. Organizationally, we are confident about where we are headed, but we have a lot of work to do in order for this franchise to earn the respect of our fans on the field. We understand winning is ultimately most important to our fans. We’re looking forward to partnering with HBO and NFL Films to show how our team is working hard at training camp to prepare for the 2018 season.”

“I’ve been a part of Hard Knocks and when you experience it first hand, you come to appreciate the inside look it really gives fans,” said head coach Hue Jackson. “We are excited about what we are building within our organization and feel good about the progress we have made this offseason. Being able to bring our fans in so they can get to know our players and our organization in a different way will be a huge positive for us. I want people to see how much our players and coaches care, how hard they work and how badly they want to win for Cleveland. This will be a great opportunity for our team.”
Old 05-17-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns (HBO) -- premieres 8/7/18

I guess because the Browns got Baker Mayfield it made them attractive to do Hard Knocks this summer.

Funny how the last 2 Hard Knocks both teams had shitty seasons. The Rams were bad 2 seasons ago after the show and the Bucs had huge expectations, but were bad last season.
Old 05-17-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
Re: Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns (HBO) -- premieres 8/7/18

They have some talent and maybe for once they might be on the rise but what a bummer the NFL picked them for 2018.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 05-18-18 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-18-18, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Was hoping the Lions would get picked with Patricia being in charge now... I'm sure the recent allegations removed any chance they had for consideration.
Old 05-18-18, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This has the makings of a good one, Baker v Tyrod chatter, Chubb vs the vets at RB, a coach on the hot seat, a Gordon redemption season... and a big fat contract by Landry who usually is not shy... lots of storylines.
Old 08-07-18, 06:36 AM

<iframe width="725" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/twCWdcx8eGY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hard Knocks returns with an exclusive look at Myles Garrett, Tyrod Taylor, Baker Mayfield and the rest of the Cleveland Browns. Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns premieres August 7 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on HBO.
Old 08-07-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Hopefully this is a good season for the show. I haven’t been much of a fan of the past few seasons.
Old 08-07-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Last year sucked. I anticipate this will be a good season. Enough personality on the team.
Old 08-07-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

And the Bucs had a shitty year too.

Yeah I’ll be watching. I’m curious about this Browns team off the field.
Old 08-07-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
<iframe width="725" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/twCWdcx8eGY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
None of these guys will "Earn Their Stripes". It's Cleveland. Stripes are worn in Cincinnati.
Old 08-08-18, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

This is already better than the Bucs entire season. Landry's speech was legit. Hard not to root for a team that has sucked for as long as they have.
Old 08-08-18, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Landry's fucking speech was fucking straight up legit, brah.
ftfy
Old 08-08-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk God

"No shit I've got a lozenge, bitch."
Old 08-08-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Really solid premiere. Loved the Jarvis Landry speech with all the F bombs. Looks like he's going to be their main target on offense this season.

I'm not a Browns fan, but I can't help but want to root for them this season and see them at least make the playoffs.

Nice to see the cameras focus on Gregg Williams, the Defensive Coordinator. He was on the Rams season 2 years ago and he's definitely a character.

NFL Films does a pretty good job turning some really mundane things into interesting TV.
Old 08-08-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Was hoping the Lions would get picked with Patricia being in charge now... I'm sure the recent allegations removed any chance they had for consideration.
A way late reply, but only six teams were eligible (unless someone wants to volunteer, which no one does outside of Dallas). They were: San Francisco 49ers, Denver Broncos, Los Angeles Chargers, Baltimore Ravens, Washington Redskins and the Cleveland Browns. Probably helps explain why Cleveland
Old 08-09-18, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

^^ Thanks for that. I wonder what qualifies a team to be eligible?
Old 08-09-18, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
^^ Thanks for that. I wonder what qualifies a team to be eligible?
NFL owners passed a resolution in 2013 stating that teams can avoid mandatory inclusion on Hard Knocks if they fall under any of three exemptions:
1) They have a first-year head coach in place
2) They have a playoff berth in the past two seasons
3) They have appeared on Hard Knocks in the past 10 years
Old 08-09-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could this be the end of the series? If this season tanks in the ratings and no team wants to do it why have the show?

I taped the Wed replay on HBO East at 3pm PDT or 6pm EDT and they censored all the profanity.

Hue Jackson is brave for letting the cameras capture his grief. I would have had no problem if he wanted to keep that private.

Still wonder what he would have done in Oakland if he stayed there though Mark Davis wanted a clean start after Al died.
Old 08-09-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

This show doesn't rely on ratings. It's basically a promotion for the NFL. It will continue on.
Old 08-09-18, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
This show doesn't rely on ratings. It's basically a promotion for the NFL. It will continue on.
Exactly. The NFL will continue to commission this show, even if HBO wanted to drop it, which is extremely doubtful. I’m sure Showtime or Amazon would love to have it.

It doesn’t matter if a team wants to do it. If they qualify and are chosen, they have to.
Old 08-09-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I watched the 1st episode on HBO Go and the expletives weren't censored.
Old 08-10-18, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I watched it on HBO regular at 7 Pacific (10 East) and there was no censoring.
Old 08-10-18, 06:48 AM

They censor it before 8pm eastern I believe.
Old 08-10-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is only a exhibition but they are off to a good start beating the Giants.
Old 08-16-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Man, this is an entertaining season. Easily the best since the Texans. I might be crazy but it's almost enough to make me root for the Browns.

BTW it's a fantastic show to watch while running on a treadmill. You can't quit your workout early when those guys are working so hard.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.